• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Limp mode FK2 TYPE R

Hi folks,
I bought a FK2 Type R back in march and had the car 10 days before it went into limp mode, it would only occur under cruise control so took it back to the garage, the limp mode was cuased by a misfire in cylinder 4 but didnt show any codes for it other than misfire, the garage have changed pretty much everything from spark to sensors and wiring and still the car misfires on clyinder 4, they have also done compression test, leak test and smoke testing. All passed. Even done the timing chain. The car has been in the garage 10 weeks now with still no luck, they are going to change the ECU and of that fails unfortunately the cars going to auction - i however will be fully refunded for the deposit and payments made to the car.
I will add the car only goes into limp mode at 2500rpm, it doesnt do it anywhere else in the rev range

Any info on what it could be would be a great help or is it a lost cause? Car is a 66 plate with only 39k on the clock, full honda service history and valve clearances were done at 25k.

Last edited:
Total stab in the dark but had a similar thing with a BM years ago and apparently cam sensors can do this. Seems suspect if it’s at a specific rpm. That’s where I’d be looking. Cam, crank, something like that. Easy for me to say but if I was you I’d be sick of the thing. It’s annoying as it’s got to be something simple if all the vitals are good.

Total stab in the dark but had a similar thing with a BM years ago and apparently cam sensors can do this. Seems suspect if it’s at a specific rpm. That’s where I’d be looking. Cam, crank, something like that. Easy for me to say but if I was you I’d be sick of the thing. It’s annoying as it’s got to be something simple if all the vitals are good.
They have changed the cam/crank sensors, airflow sensor, even tried sensors off another vehicle to check if that would help, but unfortunately no luck! The list is unbelievable of what they have checked and changed, only thing they haven't changed/checked is the ECU so tjis is their last thing to do, i'm really hoping it sorts it because i didnt even get to enjoy the car during the summer months

It could also be a wiring loom fault. It's good to see the garage are playing ball, some leave you high and dry when this sort of thing happens.

Good they sorted it in the end. A new ECU is not a cheap fix though so good job you didn’t have to pay.

It's a real shame they didn't change the ECU first. I'm really glad for you , now you can drive a fk2 with a smile on your face. All the best and enjoy!
Regards Fred.

Back