• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 'Money well spent' mods for the FN2

Not really.

Ahh, damn. When I fit mine I plan on keeping it in, just because it looked a pain to get it all out. Can't see it causing many issues, and I think that's what Loxy did on his photographed installation.

Thanks though!

You have to take the front bumper off to properly work on it. Before I got the driven crazy scoop, I made a cheap mod to get a cold air feed. You'll see where the resonator was and how I fixed the caf, using the space of one of the horns. Bumper off is very easy.

Attachments

• sketch-1579271973454-960x540.png
    sketch-1579271973454-960x540.png
    862.3 KB · Views: 36
  • sketch-1579271894001-540x960.png
    sketch-1579271894001-540x960.png
    851.4 KB · Views: 33
  • sketch-1579272029298-960x540.png
    sketch-1579272029298-960x540.png
    933.9 KB · Views: 40
You heard it here first folks, you're all wrong and your braided lines do nothing.
Old thread yeah, but still relevant.
I've been aware of the braided line hype for many years now from the motorcycling world.
Braided lines do make a difference in feel, but it is comically miniscule in most cases - certainly not worth the aggro.
All you have to do is compare fresh fluid + new OEM lines with fresh fluid + braided lines. Hardly any difference in a blind test.

Most people compare years-old brake fluid in old OEM lines with fresh fluid and fancy braided lines in a recently-bled system. Not exactly like for like.

It is the fresh fluid and the bleeding that make the difference - plus the placebo effect after having spent time and money fitting the braided lines (it *has* to be better yo)
In some cases the more 'immediate' feeling comes from the slightly smaller inner diameter of the braided lines, not the reduced 'bulging' of the lines under pressure.
How? smaller fluid volume leads to longer piston travel for the same pedal travel.
OEM brakes lines hardly budge either, I once cut one open and was steel-reinforced within the rubber.

Braided lines do look cool however, I givem that!

<Sorry for blowing the Santa Clause bubble, but felt I had to chip in>

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with JohnA on this. Just changing the fluid will make the most noticeable difference; hoses are usually internally braided anyway and the give in a braided hose vs a normal hose is negligable. We tried this on the bench with matching lengths of hose (we used HEL) and the difference in movement on the lever (we used a hydraulic handbrake, Dot 5.1 fluid) at the far end of its movement was not large enough to register.

I'm with JohnA on this. Just changing the fluid will make the most noticeable difference; hoses are usually internally braided anyway and the give in a braided hose vs a normal hose is negligable. We tried this on the bench with matching lengths of hose (we used HEL) and the difference in movement on the lever (we used a hydraulic handbrake, Dot 5.1 fluid) at the far end of its movement was not large enough to register.

Is that still the case on track under heavy use?

All the tuners I've spoken to have all advised to get them.

My car has just been fitted with BC coilovers, bushes and FRS. Along with HKS RSK + ECUTEK remap, currently running just under 220bhp.

Feels like a brand new car, so much more responsive, great turn in and lateral grip.

Taking it on first track day tonight, so will be interesting to see what it's like in anger.

Is that still the case on track under heavy use?

All the tuners I've spoken to have all advised to get them.

There is going to be an improvement over stock, its just whether you think its enough of an improvement to be worthwhile. Standard hoses are internally reinforced, they don't stretch up like balloon animals, but some people say they notice a difference in feel. I'm sceptical, but you pay your money and you take your chance.

Makes sense, suppose it's more about whether it improves on fade on track days, although at Donington this week was only after about 15 min session that I started to get brake fade.

Very unlikely that braided hoses will help with fade. Look at pad material, getting cold airflow to the brakes (to the center of the disc is best as then the air gets centrifugally thrown out through the vanes of the rotor) and as a last resort cross drilled discs. That of course assumes you are already using good quality brake fluid with the system fully bled. Thats deffo first port of call.

Bit of a plug, but I've got a book on the subject, Car Brakes, published by Crowood press, it goes into detail about getting the best out of your brakes. And best of all if you buy a copy you effectively buy me half a pint of beer...

My car has just been fitted with BC coilovers, bushes and FRS. Along with HKS RSK + ECUTEK remap, currently running just under 220bhp.

Feels like a brand new car, so much more responsive, great turn in and lateral grip.

Taking it on first track day tonight, so will be interesting to see what it's like in anger.

If you don’t mind me asking?

How much was the remap on ecu tek roughly? Cheers

If you don’t mind me asking?

How much was the remap on ecu tek roughly? Cheers

TDI charged me £590, but they also fitted an HKS RSK intake for me (which I bought along) so some of the labour would have been for that.

£550 is around the price most will charge.

Tested mine on Track today.

Ran really well, very happy with it, loads of grip and nicely balanced, if a little too neutral, but very predictable and forigving, you can really throw it about and it never feels like it's going to try and kill you. A few problems, mainly the gears are difficult on the way down, esp. 3rd, as the engine gets hot, so probably new clutch and synchros will be an expensive every soon. And the brakes are also a weak point as you'd expect, but you can work with them if you get used to what they can and can't do. And do a slow lap or come in for a bit if they start to fade.

https://youtu.be/hk7XyvtjnmE

Tegiwa cat back being fitted at the end of the week. Counts remaining money frantically...

Get yourself some earplugs if you plan to do any motorway driving, the drone is awful. I just took one off and replaced with an M2 resonated number.

Get yourself some earplugs if you plan to do any motorway driving, the drone is awful. I just took one off and replaced with an M2 resonated number.

Haha.
Don’t worry i fitted the Tegiwa and only kept it on four weeks I found it a bit obnoxious.
Stuck the standard exhaust back on - was miles more enjoyable.

I found the drone from the Tegiwa awful at 60-70mph

Car was sold a long time ago. Going on 4 years!

Back