• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

My FD2! RedH88

Right, so one of the things that has been increasingly annoying me was the rattle/knocking coming from the front. I know the previous owner, Chris, had the same issue, had it checked over and nothing ever came of it. It didn't really bother me at first but now that I do drive the car a bit more, it does grate after a while.

Anyway, to cut a long story short I've discovered it is the brake pads rattling in the callipers. The noise goes away if the brake is pressed. After a short investigation I've realised I don't have the spring retainer clip things that secure the pads in place. The pins are obviously there, but not the spring clips:
1648128315147.png

One issue with aftermarket stuff as you all probably already know is it isn't as easy as do a google search and order online! Sent a few enquiries out and found a place that have them.

Will report back once installed to confirm 100% whether the noise has gone but I'm pretty confident it will.

Right, so one of the things that has been increasingly annoying me was the rattle/knocking coming from the front. I know the previous owner, Chris, had the same issue, had it checked over and nothing ever came of it. It didn't really bother me at first but now that I do drive the car a bit more, it does grate after a while.

Anyway, to cut a long story short I've discovered it is the brake pads rattling in the callipers. The noise goes away if the brake is pressed. After a short investigation I've realised I don't have the spring retainer clip things that secure the pads in place. The pins are obviously there, but not the spring clips:
View attachment 11822

One issue with aftermarket stuff as you all probably already know is it isn't as easy as do a google search and order online! Sent a few enquiries out and found a place that have them.

Will report back once installed to confirm 100% whether the noise has gone but I'm pretty confident it will.

Woohoo this worked :)

Looks good, great to see you putting the car to use. I picked mine up 2 weeks ago and it hasnt left the garage! wont be moving untill the salts off the road.

Woohoo this worked :)

Right a bit of a U-turn here...when I thought this had worked, it didn't. The noise went away and a few drives later, it came back again. Not drove the car much since but did another bit of investigating and now focussing on the disc itself, it is the disc rattling as it is a fully floating 2 piece design. I know this is completely normal for this type of disc but it is a bit tiresome for normal driving. From the looks of it, It does seem as if the anti-rattle clips are installed, but is it down to a number of heat cycles they've loosened over time? Could be... Anyway, will look into this side of it further and see if refreshing the disc fasteners will sort this.

Will update accordingly.

Okay. So to update on my investigations on this. It isn't the disc! If it was the disc making this much noise, there would be something seriously wrong.

I've found that the front tyres contact the springs/dust covers and can see the dust cover worn/ripped a bit and there are some clean contact marks on the springs:
1664793391512.png

The fronts are 245 and the rear are 225. To test, I've swapped them around and the noise has disappeared. There are some small creaks/noises from the solid top mounts but nowhere near as frequent/loud as before and I completely acceptable. Will keep an hear out for it but so far, the noise seems to have completely disappeared.

Back