• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 New FK8 - Paint & Running In Questions

Hi all, took delivery of my new FK8 GT in Championship White yesterday. Before it even got off the transporter, I noticed what looked like a stone chip repair on the front bumper (but seems to be under the lacquer - photo below, not easy to capture in bright light!) On further inspection, I noticed other paint defects on the edges of the front bumper where it meets the headlights - photos of each side below. You can see that the paint is not perfect and on the passenger side, it looks like it has been dabbed in rather than a perfect spray finish. If I didn't know better, I'd say the bumper has been resprayed for some reason.

20210702_122853.jpg
small_drivers.jpg
small_passengers.jpg

I also noticed that all the white plastic parts of the exterior are rather more "yellow" than the metal panels (see photo to show contrast between rear bumper and rear quarter). I know that paint will appear different when applied to different surfaces, but I'm a bit surprised at the amount of contrast on a brand new car - is it the same on every white FK8? I had a pearl white GTR from new and whilst the bumpers did look a little different over time, it was perfectly consistent when I first got it.
small_quarter.jpg

Is this just the difference between UK and Japanese quality standards? I realise the guys at Swindon are out of a job at the end of the month, so perhaps care a bit less about everything!?

There is also a scratch in the centre console plastic above the Type R plaque, which whilst minor has annoyed me on a brand new car.
small_plaque.jpg

The other thing I wanted to ask about is that I couldn't find anywhere in the owner's manual what the running in procedure should be. I've seen online people say 600 miles at max. 4k RPM with varied engine speeds, which seems sensible. Do I need to do anything with the damper settings (for example, you had to run the GTR in "comfort" for the first 600 miles to ensure the dampers bedded in over their full travel)?

Yeah, I thought the same. It was mysteriously delayed a week due to "a satnav update at the factory", I've yet to check the version number/last updated date if that's possible, but I suspect I'll find my satnav version is the same as another car delivered months previously...

What about the non-matching white on the plastics - looks like yours is white too, is it the same?

Nope, no difference. Also, I showed your photos to my son, who was a bodyshop manager, he said the same as I did. They are masking lines where someone has done a crap attempt at a repair and paint job. He said there will always be differences, in paint, on plastic and metal , but to see them on photos is rare, especially on new cars. He said to return the car, have the bumper replaced, not repaired, and claim compensation from either Honda or the dealer. Although the dealer is at fault for letting it through the PDI.

Many thanks Trev, appreciate your assistance! The dealer has said they've forwarded the photos to Honda, so we'll see what they have to say.

+1 with Trev that’s awful service that they’re even trying it on. You’re buying it brand new, you can demand perfection. Accept no less.
Would it be out of the question to request a completely different car? I’d be arguing that there’s no guarantee that repair isn’t covering up other things behind the bumper. Who knows how that impact happened and what it might have done behind the bumper? Maybe speak to another dealer and tell them your situation to see if they can do something competitive?

Even that rear bumper colour. Not good enough!

The shiney black plastic near the badge below the shift boot is covered with plastic film when it is delivered to the dealer. If it has a scratch on it, it's almost certainly been done post PDI at the dealer's.

Chris.

Thanks chaps, reassuring to know it's not just me. I can see it being tricky to get a different car as they've all been sold and one dealer on Autotrader is trying to get £50k for a blue one!

Here are some more photos, including the keys that look like they've been in someone's pocket for a month! You can also see the edges of panels and bumpers that I suspect show signs of overspray or similar (I assume not blending in given the colour difference!)

small_dsfquarter.jpg

small_dsrquarter.jpg

small_dsrquarter2.jpg

small_dsrquarter3.jpg

small_psrquarter.jpg

small_psrquarter2.jpg

small_psrqvent.jpg
(Note the paint run (?) down the left of the vent)

small_rearskirt.jpg
(Is this normal to see in terms of how the rear skirt is attached?)

small_keys.jpg

Attachments

• small_quarter.jpg
    small_quarter.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 13
I’ve just shown your new photos to my lad again and he reckons that the car has been driven into something low, like a kerb, and it’s cracked the paint along the upper edge of the bumper. Another giveaway iS the shut lines on photos 3,4 and 5 Where it looks like it’s been forced in at the bottom. They’ve also tried to soft fade the paint in a couple of places and it hasn’t worked.

Thanks Trev, really appreciate you both taking the time to look and reply. I shall pass the comments on to the dealer!

Wow thats a pretty bad repair job. I can't believe they would just hand it over and not say anything hoping you wouldn't notice.

Don't worry about running it in....that particular car needs to go back ASAP & stay there !

I foresee heads rolling over this matter o_O

Really sorry to see you've had to experience this totally unacceptable behaviour :(

Yeah Mark just brought this to my attention and that car needs to be rejected..... You don't have to allow for a repair.... No way was that a new car..... apart from the bodywork, the keys are telling a story too..... Maybe a demo car that one,that's been sold as new but had no miles put on it because of covid... Either that or its a barn find...

Totally unacceptable by the selling dealer.... Wouldn't trust them with anything else...

If mine had arrived like that I'd be telling them to take it back and provide a new one as it should be. It's terrible they have provided it to you in such a condition.

Paint needs fixing, Honda paint is poor imho in general. To be honest the mismatch metal to plastic on white cars I see a lot. The state of that key is a disgrace, mine doesn’t look that bad and I’ve had it 3.5 years. if you end up getting replaced and I expect you will if you want to sell it let me know as I’ve lost one of mine and been quoted £400 to replace the fob only!

yep, within 30 days of purchase you are quite within your rights to reject the car and ask for a full refund. make sure you formally serve them this notice (in writing) and they don't give you the leave it with us for a few days and we'll put it right excuse because after 30 days you are obliged to let the dealer have one attempt at rectifying the issue (or issues! in your car case).

the mismatch of CW between metal and plastic is not a surprise, it really depends on the lighting/camera but it's certainly noticeable, worse I find on snow days where CW turns cream and the difference is even more stark.

3BBDF2D3-63F5-4141-A9C3-475264C67C31.jpeg

I also took delivery of my new Type R end of last week, so I’m gutted for you that the experience has been ruined in such a way.

My car had to be transported a good few hundred miles on a trailer to get to me. First time I’d taken delivery in such a way, so I did have concerns at not having seen or driven the car when it arrived at the dealership. Thankfully the delivery chaps were very professional and the dealership did it’s bit by not washing the car or removing any of the wrapping/plastic protection. Now I’m just waiting to have PPF applied to the car before I can use it in anger.

Hope you get this resolved, but having seen the pictures properly now, it would be an unequivocal rejection from me.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the input, appreciate it. Interesting to see you do have a colour difference at the rear there Ally, I would expect a slight difference in certain lights given the different materials, although that said the arch extensions are plastic as well and they match just fine!

The dealer is adamant it came from Honda like that. Still waiting to hear from them after they have called Honda today. Not sure what the solution is, as rejecting the car will almost certainly mean not getting one at all, and the dealer will probably be quids in by reselling it for over list price! :(

Don't concern yourself with what the dealer does with it afterwards...this is about you getting a good car :p

I'd rather have an ex demo with a couple of thousand miles than the abomination they've supplied you with !

At a reduced price of course ;)

Back