• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

New to honda and i need help

I've just bought an 05 EP3 type R and im looking for some help in choosing an exhaust and intake. For the moment at least!
I'm not wanting anything loud for normal driving but when the vtec kicks in anything goes.
How do i get the most power gains without losing much of the comfort?

Mate there is loads to choose from. I suggest having a good look through the relevent threads to pick what would be best for you. How much have yo got to spend?
If money is no object then go for the Gruppe M intake and fujitsubo rm01 exhaustfor double win.

youtube is your friend here, also look through peoples build threads. Usually they accompany a sound vid and this will help you make your decision. But if you dont want too much sound stay away from Spoon, Gruppe M etc.

Thanks very much for your advice. i,m not loaded so i will be doin things in stages. Gruppe M seems to be a good start.

Thanks again.

As said the Fujitsubo RM-01A is the exhaust of choice. As for the intake is worth keeping an eye on the tewega gruppeM copy as it is less than half the price of the real one and so far is looking very good. I am sure some will disagree but paying over £800 for something if it can be matched for 300 is silly.

I still cant make my mind up. I think your correct, i don't think i could justify paying that amount for an air filter.
Do replacement filters make any difference? I've read that the itg replacements are really good.
Another thing I've read is that if i fit a decat i will need a re map. Is this true?

I've owned my civic for 6 days now and I've done nothing but research day and night. Everything has good and bad points apart from K&N who seem to be mostly bad!
So i can assure you that Ive been bothered to search. I've gone through hundreds of posts ad found mostly contradictions so i thought it best that i asked my own specific questions and get the opinions and answers from people who have done it all before. Dont think I'm taking the lazy way out, I'm proud of the car i own and so i think id be quite foolish if i didn't try to learn from other peoples mistakes.

Thank you all for your help so far.

The Gruppe M is widely considered to be the best induction for the CTR. The only real downsides being the poor fitment of the replacement scuttle panel, hence why people mod the OEM one, and the price.

The AEM CAI is a more reasonably priced intake but you'll always have the worry of hydrolock, the gains are good though.

Open cone filters that sit in the engine bay IMO are not worth it. They will suffer heat soak and probably reduce power.

I'd be keeping an eye out in the for sale section for a S/H GM.:D

I've owned my civic for 6 days now and I've done nothing but research day and night.

Welcome to my world then:
I didn't sleep several nights either searching for best HP/price comparison on different items...

According to my research for induction: (don't blame me if there are mistakes)
1)
If you don't mind 2hp less than GruppeM, an ITG Maxogen will do just fine, giving you good torque, perhaps more than GruppeM (however I cannot confirm this) in mid range RPM.
However, in my case, the choise was made easely because GruppeM doesn't fit Left hand drive EP3's. (although it can be done by modifying some things)

2)
Open cones are best avoided, and here I speak out of my own findings, it really improved throttle response on my EP1 before (1.4l - 90hp) BUT at higher temperatures, it lost power...

3)
Drop in filters can NOT possibly give power gains like decent induction kits. It is just not possible in any way...
However, they are cheaper than an entire system

4)
Short ram/boxed induction gives best throttle response, this means, the AEM CAI might give actual gains, throttle response could be not as good as a boxed induction kit or short ram.
Keep in mind the short ram actually suffers heatsoak, and it is BAD, feelable power loss on my previous EP1, so never again short ram open cone for me...

5)
How loud?
According to many posts I read, the GruppeM is LOUD, so if you don't like loud (personally, I really do not like loud), ... better not go for GruppeM or AEM
ITG Maxogen is claimed near stock sound levels.

6)
How deep goes your wallet?
If you can justify 800£ for GruppeM, go ahead...

but please allow me to give an example:
GruppeM + DC Sports Header // ITG Maxogen + Toda Race Header

For me, I could more easely justify a 900£ header and a 400£ intake than a 800£ intake with 400£ header.

7)
What's the use?
Would you take it to the track, dragrace, or street driving?
If you use this car to go shopping, you won't need a GruppeM, if you want to circuitrace... well, don't go cheap then and just go for the best...

These are my findings about induction kits.

So personally, I'd go for ITG Maxogen because everything is in my favour:
+Not TOO expensive
+silent
+boxed with cold air feed
+no big deal for installing, ulike GruppeM which seems a pain to many

-less peak power than GruppeM
-perhaps not the cold feed like GruppeM

To conclude my post, most of this info is based on research which I cannot confirm, however items 2 and 4 are based on my own findings combined with research which only confirms my own findings..
Many research was done over many forums, watching youtube, looking at dyno charts, ...these are my conclusions, nothing solid...

And in case this was all too difficult to understand:

the best induction kit: probably the GruppeM
the best choise: depends on your likings

As for an exhaust:
According to my findings, every forum has it's "favorite" item, this forum has the Fujitsubo RM01A as the number 1
Other forums will suggest the Toda exhaust while yet another will make you buy the Buddyclub spec 4 or spoon...

In some way, this is manipulation of your choise... I'd advise the Fujitsubo as well as 100 other people on here will...
Up to you, but you have my advice :)

Hope this helped

Welcome to my world then:
I didn't sleep several nights either searching for best HP/price comparison on different items...

According to my research for induction: (don't blame me if there are mistakes)
1)
If you don't mind 2hp less than GruppeM, an ITG Maxogen will do just fine, giving you good torque, perhaps more than GruppeM (however I cannot confirm this) in mid range RPM.
However, in my case, the choise was made easely because GruppeM doesn't fit Left hand drive EP3's. (although it can be done by modifying some things)

2)
Open cones are best avoided, and here I speak out of my own findings, it really improved throttle response on my EP1 before (1.4l - 90hp) BUT at higher temperatures, it lost power...

3)
Drop in filters can NOT possibly give power gains like decent induction kits. It is just not possible in any way...
However, they are cheaper than an entire system

4)
Short ram/boxed induction gives best throttle response, this means, the AEM CAI might give actual gains, throttle response could be not as good as a boxed induction kit or short ram.
Keep in mind the short ram actually suffers heatsoak, and it is BAD, feelable power loss on my previous EP1, so never again short ram open cone for me...

5)
How loud?
According to many posts I read, the GruppeM is LOUD, so if you don't like loud (personally, I really do not like loud), ... better not go for GruppeM or AEM
ITG Maxogen is claimed near stock sound levels.

6)
How deep goes your wallet?
If you can justify 800£ for GruppeM, go ahead...

but please allow me to give an example:
GruppeM + DC Sports Header // ITG Maxogen + Toda Race Header

For me, I could more easely justify a 900£ header and a 400£ intake than a 800£ intake with 400£ header.

7)
What's the use?
Would you take it to the track, dragrace, or street driving?
If you use this car to go shopping, you won't need a GruppeM, if you want to circuitrace... well, don't go cheap then and just go for the best...

These are my findings about induction kits.

So personally, I'd go for ITG Maxogen because everything is in my favour:
+Not TOO expensive
+silent
+boxed with cold air feed
+no big deal for installing, ulike GruppeM which seems a pain to many

-less peak power than GruppeM
-perhaps not the cold feed like GruppeM

To conclude my post, most of this info is based on research which I cannot confirm, however items 2 and 4 are based on my own findings combined with research which only confirms my own findings..
Many research was done over many forums, watching youtube, looking at dyno charts, ...these are my conclusions, nothing solid...

And in case this was all too difficult to understand:

the best induction kit: probably the GruppeM
the best choise: depends on your likings

As for an exhaust:
According to my findings, every forum has it's "favorite" item, this forum has the Fujitsubo RM01A as the number 1
Other forums will suggest the Toda exhaust while yet another will make you buy the Buddyclub spec 4 or spoon...

In some way, this is manipulation of your choise... I'd advise the Fujitsubo as well as 100 other people on here will...
Up to you, but you have my advice :)

Hope this helped

Good review dude :smt023

:twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:

Thanks for sharing your research Eathslug.

However I would say that the GM is not much louder than stock when driving normally, from about 4k rpm onwards the dB's will increase steadily until Vtec where the GM will go into sonic overdrive.
All in all this makes it ideal for any trip to the shops.:lol:

Back