• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 New Tyre Tread Depth

I have just had 2 new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres fitted to the front a couple of days ago.
I measured the tread depth today and found that they are at 7.0 mm with slight less at the inner.
Is this normal, I thought that they came with around 8mm as new.

Cheers

Yeah, I recently got a set of continental Sport Contact 6. They also came with 7mm, and also had nearly 1mm less on the inside edge. I believe UHP tyres can’t have more tread because if they did, the blocks would flex too much and affect performance when new. I imagine the taper across the width helps even out wear over the life of the tyre.

Thanks for the reply, that makes me feel a bit easier.
I also seem to pick up screws and nails quite easily. I guess this is probably due to the soft compound?
Has anybody else had similar problems. If so have you gone down the repair route or just replaced?
Thanks.
Dave

I've had 2 slow punctures fixed, 1 tyre replaced due to a screw that was too close to sidewall, and 1 tyre replaced due to running over a ratchet strap, that came off the side of a wagon.

Its been a fun 3 years - feels like I drive with my eyes shut.

It's good to know that it's not just me.
I have just picked mine up from my local garage who have repaired it for fifteen pounds.

Back