• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Pcv valve testing on ep3

Hi folks, I replaced the pcv valve on my ep3 over a year ago as the oil was fouling the intake pipe quite badly. Since then there has been zero fouling but I would have expected some. Is there a test you can do to find out if it's functioning correctly? On the fn2 it was quite a simple test of squeezing the pipe on the manifold.

At idle, make sure there is a clicking sound from the valve when the hose between the valve and inlet manifold is lightly pinched. If there is no clicking sound, check the grommet for cracks or leaks. If grommet OK, replace valve and recheck.

In connection to the pcv system, does anyone run a crankcase breather? The crankcase pipe runs to the intake pipe which effectively has a filter to atmosphere on one end anyway. Issues, worthwhile doing? I'm thinking I could shorten my intake with one of those fitted.

PCV is under vacuum by default so that oil can be pulled from the case into the intake to be burnt (or, if you have a catch-can, otherwise discarded). Without the vacuum it'd be operating differently than intended.

Yep. I ran a catch can for over a month and it was as dry as a bone. Can't believe I'm getting no blow by, that's why I queried if the pcv valve was faulty.

Back