• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Poor Hand brake? top tip from a honda technician..... it worked for me :-)

I work above a Honda dealer and have got friendly with the technicians, I ask whats wrong with my EP3's handbrake, new discs & pad still pants, he said they are not the best but try this.....

Release the adjustment completely on the handbrake cables inside the the car and jump up & down on the brake peadal at least a dozen times then re-adjust the handbrake cable....

Well it worked for me. the foot brake pedal is higher and the handbrake works better ish.....

try it costs nothing, above 5 mins?

crowds

I don't get what this is doing, the brake will only apply so much, by keep applying it this could be doing damage to the diaphram. Would like to no more ***

Yep Loxy cars fine, maybe I should have described it as apply the brakes several times and not "jump" on them haha, I'm told with the handbrake cable adjusted it takes up the slack rather than the auto adjuster working to take up the brake pad wear.
But the handbrake holds much better and only comes up 6-7 clicks

crowds

The procedure does make a difference. I did it last year after replacing my calipers for refurbed ones. My handbrake would not hold even with the adjuster tightened up as far as it would go.

15-20 pumps on the brake pedal then jack the rear of the car up. Pull the handbrake lever up one click then adjust the nut until the rear wheels start to drag.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it sitting in the back seat and turning the nut clockwise or sitting in the drivers seat and turning it clockwise?

Rear seat. You are turning the nut up the screwed rod to compress the spring.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Image you're sat in the back seat looking at the adjusting nut anti clock to slacken, clockwise to tighten handbrake.

crowds

I always raise the rear of the car, pull the handbrake on one click and pump the foot brake a few times. I then tighten the lever's adjuster until the wheel starts to bind when span. I then release the handbrake and the wheel should be able to spin freely. Hope this makes sense.

Back