• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Potential engine problem

Hi. Another potential dumb question from me. I have noticed over the last week that when hitting around 80mph the sound of the car seems to get much deeper and it kind of thuds down the road, this thudding sort of shakes the car as well.
I have only had the car about a month but I do not recall this happening before. It could be road texture but I drive that road 2 times a day every day and not noticed it before. I get the feedback from around 4000 revs upwards. I have checked the tire pressures and I keep 32 at the front and 30 at the back.

Do any of you have an idea of what it could be? Is it just a trait of the car that I havnt zoned into until now or is it a well known problem? The deeper throaty sound is almost like the sound the car makes when the vtec comes into play, I'm hoping it's not the valves failing to close after flooring it for a bit and going back to normal revs........ I hope I havnt confused you lot too much from my explanation but if you could have a think that would be great :). Thanks

It'll either be the tyres having uneven wear or more likely, the wheels will need balancing.

I take it that it only happens above 70 or so mph?

Yes it does. Ive just had the tyres replaced last week and a balance was done. There was one thing though....... after writing this post this morning i went outside and rechecked the wheel nuts. I didn't fit the wheels back on the car after the tyre change. 3 of the wheels were fine but i could turn the bolts quarter of a turn on the drivers side front. I only got upto 60mph on my way to work so i wasnt able to test it but do you think this would have had a bearing?......

Yes definitely. However you should check the nuts yourself after 20 or so miles, tyre places should advice you this.

Ok. Ive done around 100 since then so i am hoping this is the end to my worrys. Maybe ill go out for a little spin at lunch to test the baby out ;). Ill go towards Stone Henge from Salisbury through Wilton, you will know that road as you are from Salisbury :)

Well I hit her upto 80 on the way home and all is well. Who would of thought just a quarter turn would make that much difference!? And there was me panicking about an engine...... :p you live and learn hey

Back