• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Problem selecting gears when upto temp..

Hi,

I have a 2004 ep3 type r with 50k on and when I bought it it had a very low biting point and was hard to select gears.

I replaced the clutch and it still doesn't feel right.

It's fine when the engine is cold but once it's been running for 10-15 mins it refuses to go into 1st or 2nd once stopped.

It also starts to move when you go to force it into 1st from standstill. (like the clutch isn't fully engaging)

Has anyone ever experienced this problem before??

Thanks in advance for any help.

The only time I've had that is when the clutch has gone. Either when the springs in the friction disc have failed or the pressure plate has bent, I've had both.

Did a garage do the clutch for you?

Yes it was done at a garage.

Is it possible to have a faulty clutch or could something else be causing the damage to the springs?

And can anyone recommend decent garages around the North West area? I normally do most work myself but the clutch I think is a subframe off job looking at it??

I'd look to take it back to the garage that did it and ask them to look at it.

It could be a manufacturing fault or poor installation.

With regards to garages in the North West I only ever use Grinspeed and TDi-North. You won't go far wrong with either of those two.

Back