• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Quiet exhaust options...

I recently bought an EP3 (loving it!) which has a Spoon N1 replica catback exhaust, which was good fun for the first few weeks but now it's really annoying. It's not too bad around town but on the motorway it really drones to the point where you have to shout to have a conversation. I want an aftermarket exhaust but something easier to live with, especially on motorway driving. I could replace the b-pipe with the standard Honda one and keep the Spoon backbox but I don't like it, I think it's too small - I prefer dual tips or one big one. After doing some research these are my options:

1. Standard Honda b-pipe with different backbox - would love a 4" angled one like the below, but I hear the bigger the tip the louder they are (?):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CIV...Type-R&hash=item419e1f93bc:g:slMAAOxycmBSqHE5

2. Standard Honda backbox with a unsilenced b-pipe (eg Sportex). I've seen videos on Youtube and I prefer the raspy sound but they seem really loud.

Which one of these options is the most quiet, and would either be quieter than the Spoon catback?

Thanks,
Mark

I would go with unsilenced back pipe and standard rear box its a setup i used to have sounded good, very raspy from cold but more subtle when warmed up a bit. Didnt drone at all on motorways.

Ah nice that's what I'm learning towards, so its pretty quiet with normal driving and only loud when you floor it? Also are you using the Sportex one?

Just to note the Sportex one's are not stainless steel, they are a mild steel so they tend not to last as long. I would try and find a stainless steel b pipe but that's just my preference.

Most change the b pipe and keep the standard back box to keep noise levels down when on a budget, however, if you want a system most Jap systems that are JASMA approved are quiet and don't drone but they are expensive, real quality though.

The Tegiwa one is meant to be pretty quiet too, otherwise find a system that is silenced/resonated. The M2 back box you posted, M2 also do silenced b pipes, might be worth a look.

As above, you can't go wrong with anything that's JASMA certified, but it won't be cheap. Bigger B pipe and the OEM backbox is good if on a budget.

Cheers for the feedback! Think I'll go for the Sportex b-pipe and see how it sounds, bit of fun and can't go wrong for £80. If I decide to keep it like that I'll look for a stainless steel one for long term use. Shoonk when you say it won't last long, do you mean it will turn to rust after a year or two?

Thanks for the tip on the JASMA certified systems, I didn't know about that :)

The mild steel b-pipe will probably only be guaranteed for 12 months, whereas a stainless one will go on forever.

You always have the problem of rust/corrosion on a mild steel one.
But then again I've just taken my original 8yr old system off my FN2 and it was fine

Yeah as above really the mild steel won't last as long as a stainless steel one it will rust and corrode, I've heard of some only lasting a year to two years but for £80 it's not bad. Then again some last ages.

Just for me personally I would fork out a little more and get a stainless steel one and be done with it. But as you said I suppose £80 is O.K for a trial run to see if you like the sound then you could change it in a year if you like it that way.

I've currently got a Fujitsubo Legalis R on mine which is JASMA approved and it is perfect, twin pipes so looks more OEM, lovely and quiet with no drone when driving normal and a lovely deeper note when flooring it and quality is outstanding I was even loving the welds lol, even though they are expensive they are well worth the money.

My sportex lasted just over a year before it needed replacing really.

for a temp fix and value for money they are 'fine'

Its not the quietest option though, I think its still quite loud, just a raspy loud. So doesnt intrude into the cabin too much but still drew enough attention to the police on my first ep3 for them to pull me over and give me hassle

Yeah I just want a cheap pipe to put on the car and see how it sounds, use it for a while and if I decide to leave it I'll look for a stainless steel one permanently. Definitely wouldn't keep it on for more than a year.

I've currently got a Fujitsubo Legalis R on mine which is JASMA approved and it is perfect, twin pipes so looks more OEM, lovely and quiet with no drone when driving normal and a lovely deeper note when flooring it and quality is outstanding I was even loving the welds lol, even though they are expensive they are well worth the money.

I was looking into this exhaust, looks great and the sound would probably suit me perfectly, although looking for a cheap and cheerful solution for now - got to watch the penny's at the moment unfortunately! In the meantime if I come across a well priced used one I'll definitely go for it, same goes for the Mugen twinloop.

Its not the quietest option though, I think its still quite loud, just a raspy loud. So doesnt intrude into the cabin too much but still drew enough attention to the police on my first ep3 for them to pull me over and give me hassle

Really? Why did they pull you over for that? surely it's not illegal. I can't decide on it, love the raspy sound and a lot of people on this forum are saying it's not too bad and just a bit louder than the OEM exhaust, but in videos it sounds A LOT louder than OEM to me. Still it's something that I wont back down until I try it for myself :)

apparently it is:

'it is illegal to modify the exhaust system of a vehicle to make it noisier than the level recorded for that model at type approval.'

I got fined.. no producer or anything, just got a fixed fine in post after being pulled over.

The first time I wasnt speeding he just didnt like the noise, let me on my way with the fine.

Second time I was speeding and got done for both, execpt I had a full cat back on second time.

Its a sort of twisted law, there was nothing that allowed him to tell me to remove it, just a fine

Pure money making scheme.

All it did was make me want a louder exhaust just to rebel.

All being said it is one of the quieter options.

But go for Mugen, Fujitsubu or toda dolphin system for a nice system.

Funny thing is I didnt ever get pulled when I ran unsilenced pipe with spoon N1 and that was unbeleivebly loud.

Ah I see, round here it would have to be a really loud exhaust to get pulled over there's loads and much louder than my n1 catback. How much was the fine? Does seem like that did it out of spite, or must of been a slow day for the police. Yea I agree that's pretty BS.

The Mugen or Fujitsubu, or unsilenced mid-pipe are my options, thanks for the advice :)

Think it was £50 or £60 cant remember, but he took loads of photos of the exhaust for evidence haha.

He was a nob and definitely doing it to be an ar$e

I would go with a Fujitsubo BUT you can get rid of just the drone frequencies if you do a bit of math and welding.
http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/articles/exhaust_drone.htm

If you search "ep3" "helmholtz" you might be able to find exactly what length and width pipe etc you need, however it might be effected by different cam profiles etc.

http://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-misc-15/want-smooth-quiet-exhaust-3150414/

DC5 http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=987138

I also can't speak for EP3's but a friend had a Sportex backbox on a 1.6 fiesta Si back in 2003/4 and that thing droned to no end, he loved it lol.

It used to make this horrid drone at all revs inside the car (rattle change etc) but outside it was relatively quiet!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back