• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Rear EP3 caliper problems!

With my car going in for it's MOT tomorrow i decided to strip my brakes and give them a once over today. I thought it would take me no more than an hour or two but i have been at them all day and i am stumped. The front calipers went fine but the rears are totaly knackered i think. I wish i hadn't bothered now tbh.

The NS caliper adjusts fine but the handbrake will not come on. The hook that the cable attaches to moves freely so when i pull up the handbrake the wheel has no resistance whatsoever. It's as if whatever the pin connects to inside the caliper is broken so it doesn't push the piston out.

The OS caliper seems to be sticking as when i adjust the handbrake so it comes on at one click and it was free when the handbrake was off but when i first went for a spin to see how the brakes were the OS rear wheel was hot and the disc was discolored.

Both pistons move freely in and out using a rewind tool so i am not sure why the OS one wont retract.

The handbrake cable pulls up uneven as the NS caliper does not engage. I usually pump the pedal about ten times to set the pistons before i adjust the handbrake but doing this sets the OS caliper too tight.

Am i missing something obvious. Could it be air in the system or am i going to have to get another set of calipers?

Well as expected the car failed its mot. The only thing was the handbrake and no advisories. Not bad for a 13 year old car tbh.

New calipers ordered, hopefully get them today.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Sometimes it's easier to change the whole caliper, I had issues a few years back now with the drivers side rear and after taking it apart cleaning it up etc it still gave me issues, so I did the same bought a refurbed one from my local car place and haven't had any issues since. It must be 3 years now since fitting so it's lasted too.

My rear calipers need replacing - looking at OEM Nissin from Tegiwa @£440/pair inc VAT.
A pair of fronts are £363.

My rear calipers need replacing - looking at OEM Nissin from Tegiwa @£440/pair inc VAT.
A pair of fronts are £363.
Brakes International were about 70 each. Could replace them 3 times over for the same cost!

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Hi Norv,

Thanks for the info on BI.

I get there info; Budweg re-manufacture OEM NISSIN calipers for around £71.78 each?

Postage is £4.99 + postage to send them the old caliper (for the return of the £30+ surcharge)

So that will come to around £82 (as long my calipers meet their returns criteria to get the surcharge cost back)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, just a tip, make sure you back off the handbrake cable (inside centre console) so the pistons move the full travel, then adjust the handbrake cable.:cool:

Hi Norv,

Thanks for the info on BI.

I get there info; Budweg re-manufacture OEM NISSIN calipers for around £71.78 each?

Postage is £4.99 + postage to send them the old caliper (for the return of the £30+ surcharge)

So that will come to around £82 (as long my calipers meet their returns criteria to get the surcharge cost back)
There's 2 options on the site. One is cheaper and doesn't require a surcharge caliper. If you read the description carefully you should see it, I'm sure the non exchange was a few quid cheaper.

As above, make sure you follow the procedure for fitting and adjusting the handbrake. Fit the caliper, bleed brakes and pump pedal, then fit the cable. I'm sure they had this written in the box anyway.

I could only see an add for n/s only. I need both sides so will speak to them.
I need to remove them to check there ok for getting the surcharge back!

Hi Norv,

Did you paint them?
Yeah I just gave them a quick spray of brake cleaners and a wipe off. Then 2 quick coats of red caliper paint brushed on. Took me all of 20 mins including removing refitting the wheels! So not the best job but they're much redder than they were. With these evo 8 wheels I could paint them without even removing them I reckon!

£148.55 for both rear calipers (nissin) inc delivery - scheduled for this Thursday.

Need flexi hose kit (will call in to Tewiga) later this week and some red paint.

Already got Motul brake fluid.

No surcharge too! so I keep the existing ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
There you go, far better than the £400 odd!

Don't forget brake fluid to go with them. I bought some cheap pain brushes and a £5 pot of caliper paint, smallest size is fine as it goes miles.

If anyone wants my old rear NISSIN calipers (not sliders) let me know your address and I will post to you at post + £5

Back