• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Replacement rocker cover seals

Gentlemen.

I've noticed a small amount of oil in the 4th spark plug cylinder and though further inspection I can see that there is a little oil around the O ring at the top.

I have one of those annoying questions. I can buy the full set for 68 quid which are all genuine parts or I can buy some OEM quality ones for 20 quid. Links below. Do you think it worth saving the 50 quid extra? Has anyone had experience replacing rocker cover seals and gaskets with non Honda parts? Are they really worth 50 quid more?

http://www.tegiwaimports.com/genuine-honda-rocker-cam-cover-gasket-set-k-series-k20a-k20z.html

https://japserviceparts.co.uk/honda-civic-type-r-ep3-rocker-cover-gasket-kit-k20a.html

Thanks

Hard to answer that really, personally I always try to use genuine on my car, however, I have used a few things from japserviceparts before and I can't fault them either.

Upto you really £50 is a handy saving, would pay for oil when your service is due lol.

Always nice to have receipts for genuine parts though lol.

Thanks for the response bud. Ive gone for some feeler gauges (as i may as well to valve clearances while im in there), the Jap Service Parts gaskets and seals and then spent 20 quid on some HONDABOND HT. All going well i should be able to complete this job this weekend :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Be interested to see some pictures of the old/new when you get around to doing it - and what you think of the japserviceparts gasket. Mine is weeping a little and it's one of the jobs on the long list.

I enquired about some parts on japserviceparts and they told me that the non genuine parts are made at the same factory with the same materials as the genuine one's so that's why they say OEM quality.

Oh I know they're made in the same factory - it's like supermarket own brands in this country. The question is more one of whether they make it to the same spec as the Honda parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Give me a shout if you want to borrow some feeler blades or a torque wrench or anything mate. I'm only down the road.

I'd be interested to see how your timing chain is looking when at TDC and your mileage as that's something I need to look into soon.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Give me a shout if you want to borrow some feeler blades or a torque wrench or anything mate. I'm only down the road.

I'd be interested to see how your timing chain is looking when at TDC and your mileage as that's something I need to look into soon.

Hey bud. Yea sure, pop on round Saturday if you fancy it. Ive got anything i dont have on order but feel free to bring the gauges. PM me your number and ill text my address and when im about to start.

Cheers

Hey bud. Yea sure, pop on round Saturday if you fancy it. Ive got anything i dont have on order but feel free to bring the gauges. PM me your number and ill text my address and when im about to start.

Cheers
Just realised we've got friends round to stay this weekend so won't be able to pop round. If you need to borrow any tools beforehand, give me a shout.

Have you found the document that shows the torque procedure for the rocker cover and where to put the sealant? I saw it a couple of years back somewhere but can't find it now I've searched again. I think it was the Honda work instructions that I had seen before. Should ensure there's no leaks once you're done.

Just realised we've got friends round to stay this weekend so won't be able to pop round. If you need to borrow any tools beforehand, give me a shout.

Have you found the document that shows the torque procedure for the rocker cover and where to put the sealant? I saw it a couple of years back somewhere but can't find it now I've searched again. I think it was the Honda work instructions that I had seen before. Should ensure there's no leaks once you're done.

OK no worries dude. Ill get some pics posted up here for you guys anyway. Ive got the service manual so ill just set that up on the tablet while im doing it and that has all the info i need :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry man, Photobucket doesn't work for everyone anymore, can't see that pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Job done guys. Here are some pics below. Not bad wear on the cams for a car that's done 135k :)

The front side was mostly OK and I only had to adjust 3 but the exhaust back side was worse and I had to adjust them all :). The seals from Jap Parts fit absolutely fine with no dramas. I'll check around the rocker cover after a few weeks and make sure I don't have any leaks

None of the photos are working mate! Glad you got it all sorted. I've got a new rocker cover on the way, so when I get some time I'll get that fitted and do the clearances and check the chain. Friday afternoon I had this pleasure to deal with after work!

That was the nearside rear, passengers was 35c! Haha. Pulled out of quid Hampton and could feel it was dragging, 3 secs later I had a cloud of smoke! All sorted now though.
1e57377902e798a08b257894169531b6.jpg

If you use Tapatalk it might not show... They are showing for me OK. That's hot! I had that once and it was the pistons sticking. I have just had all 4 calipers rebuilt and painted red :)

I've got brembos on the front. I changed the off side rear at the same time, then bought the nearside but didn't use it. Luckily it was on my tool box. Less than an hour after getting that hot it was fixed. At least they should be good for a while now!

I'll have a look on the laptop later on.

Back