• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Rotrex sport supercharger

Have plans visiting Warrington again but this time to get a supercharger fitted to my FN2 type r. Been advised off Rob with the mods already on the car I should expect around 300bhp. Can anyone advise on the MPG ? Just curious about low cam fuel economy. Not fussed about vtec. That is what it is. Cheers

I had 324 bhp and 200 ftlb from a Rotrex in my old FN2 with just a HKS intake and cat back, with a balancer shaft delete kit but the standard exhaust manifold. That was the Sport kit too, with no intercooler.

RotrexSportDyno230711.jpg

I averaged 23 mpg with it. Once I managed 28mpg on a steady motorway run at a constant 70 mph.

I couldn't hand on heart recommend a Rotrex however. I see posts every week on FB of bearings and shafts failing on them, and on ones that aren't that old and have only done a few thousand miles too.

Cheers for the reply John. I will be happy with a steady 28mpg. I average about 24 mpg city 33 on a run ( light foot) with current set up.
The mods I have are Tegiwa intake with cold air intake mod, balance shaft delete kit, piper manifold, de-cat pipe, tegiwa cat back.
If not the Rotrex, which other supercharger would you recommend mate. Unfortunately I'm on a budget of £4000 all in ( fitted ).
I'm impressed with the figures your old fn2 reached. I will be happy with 300bhp, anything over that is a bonus

Last edited by a moderator:
TDi's turbo kit is supposed to be more reliable, but even the CT charger goes through pulleys every 10k and are like hens teeth to get hold of.

Unfortunately charging isn't the quick fix many people think it is. If you do go for one just be prepared to go through warranty claims with TTS and budget replacements in the future, and don't do it if you need it as a daily.

Spoke to Tdi this morning about the superchargers reliability. They say it's like with any mods things can go wrong. But they have fitted a fair few of them and had very few reports on reliability. They also explained about properly maintaining it with regular oil changes.

Aye, 6 months and 4k miles on the last one I saw. I was told the traction fluid is supposed to last 2 years of average mileage between changes though, so unless that advice has changed?

Maybe TDi fit them and people don't go back when they have problems and then go elsewhere to get them sorted? :confused:

Like I said, if you do go do it, just be willing to budget for replacements in case of failure.

Aye, 6 months and 4k miles on the last one I saw. I was told the traction fluid is supposed to last 2 years of average mileage between changes though, so unless that advice has changed?

Maybe TDi fit them and people don't go back when they have problems and then go elsewhere to get them sorted? :confused:

Like I said, if you do go do it, just be willing to budget for replacements in case of failure.

Cheers John

Lets hope if if I decide to go for it I'm one of the fortunate people. Will maintain it every 6 month just to be on the safe side.
Am I right in thinking that if I did encounter a problem, I could remove the supercharger belt and continue to drive as a daily drive whilst awaiting replacement? Only result would be obvious drop in power but no risk of damaging anything.

From what I've seen, the larger rotrex chargers that normally mount where the A/C compressor is are more reliable. The smaller one that mounts up top seem to be the ones that fail more often.
The CT kits use the more reliable Eaton supercharger but I've seen issues with pulleys and belt slipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers John

Lets hope if if I decide to go for it I'm one of the fortunate people. Will maintain it every 6 month just to be on the safe side.
Am I right in thinking that if I did encounter a problem, I could remove the supercharger belt and continue to drive as a daily drive whilst awaiting replacement? Only result would be obvious drop in power but no risk of damaging anything.

From the official Rotrex Maintenance leaflet "The oil filter change interval of the Rotrex C-range superchargers is 80,000 km / 50,000 miles or two years, which ever comes first"

I've put nearly 8,000 miles on mine since it was fitted. I haven't had to top up the oil yet. Haven't (touch wood) had a problem with it either.

I saw a post last night for a charger unit for sale that stated it was, "The new design with the stronger shaft."

Fingers crossed it has been addressed then, but how you can tell the new design from old, apart from the shaft rattling around after it has failed, I couldn't tell you.

I fitted a CT Engineering S/Charger to mine , my MPG has gone down to 20MPG ( I did upgrade my injectors to 650 ) ...... Mind you if you have a s/charger the MPG isn't important anyway :) HAPPY DAYS

Back