• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

slight engine ticking noise

my 04 ep3 type r has a slight ticking/tapping noise when revs build up,it has 76200 on the clock has just had an oil/filter change (10w40 fully synthetic about 300 miles ago) but has not had the 75k valve clearance done

it will be having the valve clearance done in 4 weeks when it goes to abp for a new clutch so will get them to do it at the same time,could this be the reason for the tapping sound? its not really really bad but now i can hear it its annoying me

You've answered your own question really. First thing as they've not been done is the valve clearances.

It could always be the injectors, but you normally hear those on tickover and not higher up the rev range.

+1 on tickover a slight tapping is normal as its the high pressure injectors should dissappear under load. valve clearance adjustment should solve this :) I wouldn't worry too much

I thought the same thing about the noise my car makes at idle, but I think its just the injectors being noisy little b******s.

Back