• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Squeaky Clutch Pedal - FIX!

Hi Guys, my first post here and a new owner of a black 2008 CTR.

So yeah, i knew about the squeaky clutch problem before i even test drove it and low and behold! it has it :/

So i read a few things about master cylinders etc. blah... But it felt like it was right there, under my foot, not away from it. So i had a butchers. It turns out its not the master cylinder. This is caused by THE PEDAL ASSEMBLY. Take a look under your clutch pedal and you will see a large spring, responsible for the return of the clutch. This spring attaches to the main pedal assembly frame on two little L shape feet. HOWEVER Honda's magnificent ingenuity was used to decide that PLASTIC bushes should be used to contain a high powered and highly used spring in a STEEL assembly...... So these two little round Top-Hat shaped bushes that hold the spring in, is what is causing the squeak.

You may notice that the squeak is worse when the blowers are on... this is because the heat affects the plastic and steel properties ever so slightly which is just enough to cause the squeak!

So long story short. Spray some Bad-ass lithium grease on these Mofo's and it goes away. For how long i do not know, but you could look at replacing these probably very cheap bushes :)

Hope this helps some peeps with the issue!

Love this forum already, and Loxy you do a great job of running it :)

Cheers!

well i just did a 30 min drive, round town, no issues! I used WD40 lithium grease spray. real easy to get it right in there! Ill take a pic of the things to spray tomorrow for ya. will put it in the first post.

Cool that would be great, picked up a tin of grease tonight so ** hopefully get to do it tomorrow, will stop me going mad as the squeak does get pretty annoying!

I had a clutch pedal noise issue, So I greased up these bushes and spring but I then realized I was getting more of a 'click' rather than a squeak. The 'click' solution requires a bit of lube around the cylinder ram/piston. It's awkward!

Bad news, squeak started again... but it is definitely those bushes, im gonna see what i can do on the weekend to resolve this and i will keep you guys updated and im sorry but i forgot to take a photo.... when i do a perma fix ill take pics and howto etc!

The recognised fix is to replace the pedal box. I'm not saying the bushes don't exist, but you can't get them from Honda separately.

There is an upgraded pedal box available though.

http://mandm-honda.com/product_fn2_cluchpedal_ reinforcement_.html

I'm sure Matt from Injection Imports in the Traders Section would be able to get hold of those.

It won't stop the master cylinder issue though. That one is dead simple though, bike chain lube squirted via a straw up into the cylinder behind the rod. Done it many a time and still have a can of lube in the garage.

What is needed is a steel bush, possibly hardened, with a transition fit (i mean like +0.05 mm all round) so that it moves on the assembly. But the centre hole would need to be a push fit on the spring so it doesn't wobble. I doubt it would wear the assembly as only the power of a spring would be acting on it... I'm gonna see if i can make some at work... i can measure it up on the weekend and possibly knock a couple up mon or tues. I could be on to something here... lmao

My missus had this on the CRV.

Pretty sure it was the master cylinder. Changed it and it stopped.

From what i can gather, there are two different types of squeak. The master cylinder one includes an audible click feeling i believe. I can Guarantee you the one i have is these bushes. Instantly after spraying them it was resolved (albeit for 24 hours, which was enough to tell me it worked).Not to sound like a know it all but i work in engineering and i could tell the feel of this squeak was not that of metal on metal, which would be the master cylinder shaft against the unit if the rubber seals wore out, making more of an 'air being released' squeak, alongside a grinding feel maybe? Valid point Allen but i believe this is a different issue :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx-xby10Mj4
- This is the kind of squeak i'm trying to fix. If you read the description on the vid, he takes you to another civic forum, and he did exactly what i did. However the thread goes dry without a permanent solution.

Right!!! i have fixed my squeak. After hours, and i do mean HOURS of time under the drivers side footwell breaking my back and tweaking and moving everything, i found it is the master cylinder. So i stand before you all and apologise for all my doubts!!!
So, how did i sort it you ask. Well.... Get yourself some WD40 High Performance Lithium Grease. (comes in a spray can with long nozzle and this stuff is the dogs...). I then removed the trim underneath the steering column to aid me getting closer(remove small trim piece on door opening next to dash, this will reveal 1 screw, remove this and then pull on the trim gently). When you press the clutch you will see a piston that moves in and out of the cylinder, so i pressed the clutch all the way in, sprayed a bit, moved the clutch out, sprayed the rod, moved it in, sprayed it in, etc etc.

What you will find is the whatever is holding the piston in the cylinder is worn, causing it to move, so if you depress fully you can actually get some spray int he cylinder. Its lasted over a week so far no issues and clutch feel is way better!

Hi Guys, my first post here and a new owner of a black 2008 CTR.

So yeah, i knew about the squeaky clutch problem before i even test drove it and low and behold! it has it :/

So i read a few things about master cylinders etc. blah... But it felt like it was right there, under my foot, not away from it. So i had a butchers. It turns out its not the master cylinder. This is caused by THE PEDAL ASSEMBLY. Take a look under your clutch pedal and you will see a large spring, responsible for the return of the clutch. This spring attaches to the main pedal assembly frame on two little L shape feet. HOWEVER Honda's magnificent ingenuity was used to decide that PLASTIC bushes should be used to contain a high powered and highly used spring in a STEEL assembly...... So these two little round Top-Hat shaped bushes that hold the spring in, is what is causing the squeak.

You may notice that the squeak is worse when the blowers are on... this is because the heat affects the plastic and steel properties ever so slightly which is just enough to cause the squeak!

So long story short. Spray some Bad-ass lithium grease on these Mofo's and it goes away. For how long i do not know, but you could look at replacing these probably very cheap bushes :)

Hope this helps some peeps with the issue!

Love this forum already, and Loxy you do a great job of running it :)

Cheers!
Any ideas where to get some replacement bushes from? Or a upgraded version

Back