• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Thinking of buying an FK2, have a few questions if ok.

Hey all,

It's my first post here, so please bear with me! I may soon be in a position to be able to buy outright a new car and have been perusing a number of hot hatches that could fit the bill, fancying something a little more focused, fast and fun. Ideally I'm after something reliable, tuneable, and with a big enough boot and reasonable enough costs (for a performance hatch!), but still exciting. Having a family now means practicality is a must.

I've whittled my choices down to the A45, Golf R, Leon 280-300, m135i, Type R FK2, figuring they are all more of less within the similar price range. I like all of them and they are all capable machines, but things like the costs of MPG/servicing/brakes etc for the Merc worry me (though I won't have a loan to worry about, so there's that!), the Golf R seem to be a thief's magnet and they are ubiquitous, the m135i and Leon to me look quite sedated inside and out, and so that leaves the FK2 Type R. I know it isn't the fastest (but is still up there!), but to me it seems like it would feel special to drive, have awesome grippy seats and the gear change fascinates me. The looks (especially in black and grey) have grown on me and I love the functionality/BTCC style of it all. I want something that gives me the feel of the Megane 265 Cup I nearly bought a few years back before having a family, and I guess this car would do that...

What I'm wondering is:

* What lured in you guys to chose the Type R over the above alternatives?
* What sort of MPG are you guys getting on average?
* In terms of tuning, I'd be looking at the inJen Air Intake first, followed possibly by a remap and/or intercooler. Has anybody got any experience of the InJen kit? And in terms of remapping, which one is the most advisable to go for, and are there guys on here who have had theirs mapped for some time without problems?

The only things that concern me that I can think of, are the ability to tune without problems, the so called heatsoak issue, and if that effects what standard cars are putting down power wise.

Apologies for the long post and lots of questions. Genuinely interested in this car and would appreciate any advice I can get!

Many thanks.

Having had and enjoyed various Honda's in the Type R guise in the past I moved to an M135i, which essentially boiled down to a rather uninspiring experience. Nice place to sit, but as you mention not the greatest of interiors and the boot was woefully small. Essentially just a 1 series with a big engine, bags of torque but not really an earth shattering driving experience.

A year later I sold it and bought an FK2 which I still have. In between putting a deposit down on the FK2 and picking it up I test drove a Golf R just to make sure I wasn't missing out. Definitely a capable car but to me at least it just felt numb and not exciting and confirmed the FK2 was the right choice for me.

Two years in I am still happy with the FK2, it's a nice place to sit but is far from luxury and the head unit is pretty poor. That said it's great fun and very capable, boot is huge which is a plus for me family wise. As I'm not getting any younger one thing that concerned me a little when choosing to buy was it's over the top looks. Now however the look of the thing is on of the things I love the most about it.

MPG wise I think it's around 28 currently but it doesn't get driven too much in the current climate so when it does I enjoy it.

It has a K&N panel filter currently which just gives a little extra noise which is always welcome and a map from Paul West which took it up to 365 and has since had a Scorpion cat-back fitted.

Future plans are the Injen having read good things about it and an Airtech front mount along with a Scorpion sports cat which I am told should yield 400 plus once the map is adjusted to suit by Paul.

Having had and enjoyed various Honda's in the Type R guise in the past I moved to an M135i, which essentially boiled down to a rather uninspiring experience. Nice place to sit, but as you mention not the greatest of interiors and the boot was woefully small. Essentially just a 1 series with a big engine, bags of torque but not really an earth shattering driving experience.

A year later I sold it and bought an FK2 which I still have. In between putting a deposit down on the FK2 and picking it up I test drove a Golf R just to make sure I wasn't missing out. Definitely a capable car but to me at least it just felt numb and not exciting and confirmed the FK2 was the right choice for me.

Two years in I am still happy with the FK2, it's a nice place to sit but is far from luxury and the head unit is pretty poor. That said it's great fun and very capable, boot is huge which is a plus for me family wise. As I'm not getting any younger one thing that concerned me a little when choosing to buy was it's over the top looks. Now however the look of the thing is on of the things I love the most about it.

MPG wise I think it's around 28 currently but it doesn't get driven too much in the current climate so when it does I enjoy it.

It has a K&N panel filter currently which just gives a little extra noise which is always welcome and a map from Paul West which took it up to 365 and has since had a Scorpion cat-back fitted.

Future plans are the Injen having read good things about it and an Airtech front mount along with a Scorpion sports cat which I am told should yield 400 plus once the map is adjusted to suit by Paul.

Hi there,

Thank you for your comprehensive response! I get the impression that the m135i is more like a GT car, than hatchback. I love the soundtrack, but the fact you mentioned that it wasn't earth shattering is what I expected. Surprised at the small boot though, rear diff taking up room or just the way they are?

The Golf R always gets the accolades and seems better suited to most people's needs, but I guess it could just be a matter of it being so easy to drive fast; 4WD and DSG (just point and go!). I do like them though, but like to be a little more hands on with my driving experience.

Gad you're happy with your choice and that you've had no issues, especially with a map. That is comforting to know. The MPG seems reasonable too considering the performance on tap. My commute to work isn't too bad really (8 miles or so) and mostly motorway with a little bit of town driving. My Mr's has a 1.5 DCI Qashqai anyway, so that is a more fuel friendly alternative if we need to use it! Lol! Still, good to have something that is very practical and doesn't drain the old wallet to run! The servicing costs of an A45 & the costs of brakes made me shudder a bit.

I heard something about heatsoak with the InJen kits, but if others are saying it's good, then I may well look at one if I get an FK2. Compared to the Eventuri kit they seem decent value and I know that this car favours breathing mods for a good power increase, so I think I'd likely still get one fitted right away if its a good bit of kit.

The looks aren't to all tastes, but it has grown on me and I love that it's got purpose. I bet you get a lot of comments/attention with it! As Flashy said, it is exclusive which is a big bonus as well.

Thanks again for your comments.

Exclusivity and looks for me. All the other cars you have listed are ten a penny where I live. Infact been out today to go ape in my mates golf r, quick but certainly uninspiring. The FK2 is totally out there and different

Hi, I am the proud owner of a 2015 Honda Civic Type R GT fk2. In polished metal metallic. I've had it since Oct 2018 and still puts a smile on my face every time I'm out in the type r. Having owned several Civics prior . I researched all about the fk2 and made the decision I wanted one , so again I looked for the colour I liked and managed to find one ,I had a test drive and wow I made the decision then to have the car. When I first saw the fk2 I thought it was absolutely stunning all the rivals , Ford focus rs, golf r ,Renault Megan ,mercedes A class, just look bland compared to the fk2 I even prefer it to the fk8. But that's my opinion. Did you know there were only 5000 made with 2500 for the UK and 2500 for the rest of the world.So the fk2 is extremely rare. It is a very capable car ,well designed well balanced, and goes as good as it looks. But don't just take my word see what the reviews have said about it. See online the following and I'm sure you will be enlightened. 2015 Honda Civic Type R Press Kit comprehensive to everything about the fk2. YouTube Why the Fk2 Civic Type R is The best Honda Civic Type R ever car witter. Big UK road test :new Honda Civic Type R (2015-2016 Top Gear. A lot of your questions will be answered on these reviews. I could write all the information myself but these are reviews from different journalists and are very accurate. I'm sure heatsoak is covered in the first read civic type r press kit.
But what you really need to do is test drive one. I did and was blown away by the performance, the handling, and the involved driver experience. Good reading and I look forward to you posting up all about the fk2 you've acquired.
all the best Fred.

Last edited:
Back