• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Time for new tyres

I will be needing to replace all four tyres on my EP3 shortly and would like to know what are rated well nowadays?

I have Yokohama Parada Spec 2's (215/40/17) on at the moment and have used them for a good few years. They were not too bad in the dry but could be pretty scary in the wet when not even pushing the car. The only other tyre i have used is the Bridgestone RE040 which was the same as the Parada's (good dry,crap wet weather)

As i have not tried any other tyres than these two what are the best nowadays for road use in the wet or dry and around £100 a corner in either 215/40/17 or 215/45/17?

I have read some tyres have soft sidewalls so are not especially suited to the ctr. I have been browsing the net looking for reviews but would rather get some opinions from CTR owners on what they think of them on their cars.

So far i am thinking of Michelin Pilot Sport 4's, Continental Sport Contact 5's or Bridgestone RE050's.

Any other one's i should consider?

I'd go for Pilot Sport 4's. They're the newest tyre out of what you've posted and have excellent reviews. RE050's are pretty old for example.

Hi, I just bought Yokohama [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Droid Sans, Lucida Sans, Arial, sans-serif]Advan Neova AD08 R, (215/40/17) really pleased with them, tough sidewalls (slight hard ride) good in wet.

and well priced (paid £80 a corner + fitting)

crowds
[/FONT]

Hi, I just bought Yokohama Advan Neova AD08 R, (215/40/17) really pleased with them, tough sidewalls (slight hard ride) good in wet.

and well priced (paid £80 a corner + fitting)

crowds

Where did you get them for that price mate?

I'm running Eagle F1s asymmetric 2's or something like that. Awesome Grip and you can feel the limit of the tyres when cornering plenty of Feedback. Don't feel as nice as the yoko Blue Earths I had but quieter and more responsive

I've just swapped some Pilot sport 4's to a set of AD08R's, as far as i can tell grip levels are about the same on the road.

However the turn in and feedback is miles better with the AD08R's it actually feels like a type r again. I found the pilot sport 4s made the steering feel rubbery and unresponsive and the car felt like it was floating over the road due to the soft sidewalls, similar to Eagle F1's that i tried.

I've just swapped some Pilot sport 4's to a set of AD08R's, as far as i can tell grip levels are about the same on the road.

However the turn in and feedback is miles better with the AD08R's it actually feels like a type r again. I found the pilot sport 4s made the steering feel rubbery and unresponsive and the car felt like it was floating over the road due to the soft sidewalls, similar to Eagle F1's that i tried.

Were those R45 or R40?

Popped into my local Kwik Fit garage and was quoted £160 a corner for the Advan AD08's. Eh no thanks at that price.

Are the pilot sports side walls really soft as although my Yokohama tyres may not be the best I do it prefer their stiffer sidewalls tbh.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

I've just paid £181 each for Pilot Super Sports in 19" (gone 245 instead of OEM size) for the FK2.

Just be grateful you have a cheap size!

Aye, I suppose you are right Loxy.

£160 a tyre for 17's is a bit rich for me though. Especially for only road use.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

I had the continentals sp5's and the Michelin ps4's on my previous car. Both were excellent road tyres.
The ps4's were a bit noisier if that bothers you.

Try blackcircles mate its far cheaper! i paid 115 fitted for ad08 which was 9 quid more than pilot sports. The sidewall stiffness is the main benefit, i did maybe 1k miles with ps4s on the front before swapping them to the rear and putting new ad08's on the front. Difference was night and day, for comparison it was a much more noticeable change than when i fitted a jdm rarb, even when driving around normally.

I think bridgestones or parada spec 2's are meant to have a stiff sidewall too and will be cheaper, worth a look!

Back