• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Top mounts buggered, I now have three options, HELP/ ADVICE please

Looking at about a £1000 all in, me thinks.

Showa make the OEM components too.

For that sort of money, I'd probably look to add a bit on top and pay for the priviledge of being able to adjust the height - the Mugen Sport Suspension does not offer height adjustability IIRC - for £1000 - they're no doubt awesome, but I'd want the adjustability optional at that price, personally.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's all fair and well. But in reality, how often would you change the ride height? 9 times out of 10, you'd find a height you like, and just leave it. That's what I've done with my Cusco coilovers.

Unless you're planning on tracking it, and seriously and needing to change the height/damping for the different styles of track. The Mugen is a great all rounder, has perfect stance, unbeatable reliability, good road quality and much increased handling

That's all fair and well. But in reality, how often would you change the ride height? 9 times out of 10, you'd find a height you like, and just leave it. That's what I've done with my Cusco coilovers.

Unless you're planning on tracking it, and seriously and needing to change the height/damping for the different styles of track. The Mugen is a great all rounder, has perfect stance, unbeatable reliability, good road quality and much increased handling

Yeah - you're not wrong; what if you decide you want to go lower though - this was the basis for my comment, as the Mugen SS is lower that OEM, but not really low 'low' - if you know what I mean.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh of course, I understand that. As you rightly said, the Mugens certainly won't 'slam' the CTR. They are more a sort of all-in-one package, to fit and forget.

TBH you can't really 'slam' the CTR too much anyway because of how low the B pipes sit underneath. Also you then have geometry issues, needing fixed with roll centre adjusters etc. So the costs certainly add up !

narhmean?

:lol:

But for those interested I've opted to just replace the top mounts for the time being and having my FRSU re-set as with my recent expenditure along with the addition of getting mount inserts and a new clutch, and my recent discovery that I have a puncture so need to shell out for two new rear tyres (and associated fitting costs of all mentioned) have really scarpered my monies so coilovers/ suspension is definately out of the question at this moment in time :( But I'll get back on it as soon as possible rest assured! :p

:lol:

But for those interested I've opted to just replace the top mounts for the time being and having my FRSU re-set as with my recent expenditure along with the addition of getting mount inserts and a new clutch, and my recent discovery that I have a puncture so need to shell out for two new rear tyres (and associated fitting costs of all mentioned) have really scarpered my monies so coilovers/ suspension is definately out of the question at this moment in time :( But I'll get back on it as soon as possible rest assured! :p

What you LOLing at LOL.

Bad-times re: punctures - sh!zer, you've spent alot recently man; canny wait to see it all on. :cool:

I got Spoon Springs - thanks to your thread! :D

Glad I could be of help :) And I was lol'ing as that word always makes me chuckle and it's the first time I've ever seen it written down. Tis :cool:

The thing is, there are alot of factors you have to look into when getting suspension.
Coilovers isn't necessary harsh like alot of people think... they are just a spring and a damper that is adjustable in the end.

One thing alot of people forget is AFTERSALES service...
Its all well and good if X Brand suspension have R&D done and blah blah blah... but what if it fails?
Who will take care of it? Who can take care of it? How long will it take? How much will it cost?
Dampers are wear and tear item, so it will fail one day... they don't last forever.

This is one issue that are face by many who have high end JDM imported suspension...
I know someone who have been trying to get a set of Spoon Coilovers rebuild and so far is unsuccessful... the dampers are also made by Showa.
So aside from unknown rebuild cost and unknown lead time.... we don't even know who can rebuild them yet.

James, since you deal with Mugen who are also made by Showa, if you know any company in the UK that can rebuild them?
Always see people with coilovers like Cusco with leaking dampers and no one seems to be able to find any company in UK to rebuild them.
Please let me know if you know anyone and I'll pass the info forward.

With Mugen now having a UK branch they should be able to service them, but whether or not they'll service sets that have been imported and not bought directly I don't know?

Just to add, my AST Coilovers are more compliant and forgiving than my car was when it was lowered on just springs and a FRS, it did seem to flow better, though now I have stripped a lot out of it it is a little more bouncy, I could soften the settings a bit, but I am happy with the lack of roll as is.

I have noticed since fitting my new oem topmounts that I have a little play in one of the front shocks, so I am going to pop over to AST at Powerstation to have them serviced, still not bad considering the car has now done 147,000 miles and they were put on at 84k

Dunno how others experience have panned out with their own set ups, but it will be interesting to see if anyone else has put decent mileage on kit they have installed onto their car.....So far I think they AST have done a great job, coping with both motorway commute with some harsh twisty roads either end, over 400 miles a week as well.

Back