• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Top mounts buggered, I now have three options, HELP/ ADVICE please

Basic gist is, I popped my car over to Eurospec yesterday to investigate a knocking noise that has been getting progressively worse over the past few months, but much more noticeable and frequently after going over a cattle grid too fast about 4/5 weeks ago. Turns out my top mounts are shot and the front suspension rocks in the top mount with every turn :?

Now, I have a dilemma, I was intending on getting coilovers at some point but (as some may already know if they've seen my build thread) I have recently spent a small fortune on other bits and was going to wait to get coilovers as I wasn't sure whether I could stretch to a set.. But now, I have three options, do I replace the top mounts but run the risk of it happening again if the top of the suspension is worn? Buy new suspension (which will be around £550 or so from Honda)? Or just bite the bullet and put that money towards coilovers? This is the option I'm thinking is the best, and if this is the general consensus, I'd like opinions on coilover options... As if I really HAVE to stretch to a grand or so for Teins then I'll have to source the money (which will be hard), but are there other brands? Is there anything wrong with BuddyClub's or others? I don't want to go cheap as I believe that you get what you pay for, but if something a bit cheaper than Teins are just as good the little saving would help to pay for fitting and getting my FRSU re-done..

Sorry if this is a tad long winded, but I'm always happy to take in people's opinions and your help will be greatly appreciated.

Karl

Do you think this is related to the Tein Springs you have?

I'm going to get shot of mine soon - I'm not happy with them at all. They look nice but do groan a bit.

I'd get coilovers, personally.

Ah no, I think the springs themselves aren't the culprit, I think it's more down to the condition of the roads to and from work. Quite bumpy on the outside edges, so the left side of the car gets put under alot more strain and it's the left that's massively buggered. So I'm putting it down to the strain and probably the fact that I fitted the springs myself. I thought I did a decent job, but I can't stop thinking that it may not have happened if a garage fitted them. But then again, it could have happened anyway, I'll never know. But yes, I too think I should just suck it up and get coilovers, but which ones? There are a few BuddyClub ones around £700-£1000, or there are the Tein Super Streets for just over a grand...

Thought about the MeisterR coilovers? Got them on my ep3 and haven't got any issues with them so far

Ah no, I think the springs themselves aren't the culprit, I think it's more down to the condition of the roads to and from work. Quite bumpy on the outside edges, so the left side of the car gets put under alot more strain and it's the left that's massively buggered. So I'm putting it down to the strain and probably the fact that I fitted the springs myself. I thought I did a decent job, but I can't stop thinking that it may not have happened if a garage fitted them. But then again, it could have happened anyway, I'll never know. But yes, I too think I should just suck it up and get coilovers, but which ones? There are a few BuddyClub ones around £700-£1000, or there are the Tein Super Streets for just over a grand...

I'm a fan of genuine, quality, Japanese, parts - however the MeisterR coilovers are very appealing to me ATM - they have incorporated the straight steering arm design into their product, and I've heard nothing but good reviews from a few EP, EK, and EG owners. They're reasonably priced, offer ride height adjustment, and do not require you to run camber bolts to set geo. What's not to like, but the name (which isn't bad - it just isn't Tein etc. etc.)?

I'm seriously fighting with myself as to why I shouldn't consider these a viable option. I'm doing a bit more research - whilst I'm saving; and will decide myself in due course, but I'm not satisfied with the Teins. It's a shame, everytime I work towards saving for the exhaust I'm after - something else needs addressing; more annoying is that I love the way the Tein's sit - I do want to go lower though - maybe - 50 or 60mm LOL.

On the topic of fitting the springs - Kenny at TGM fitted mine - he fits them for breakfast, lunch, and din din - they still sound like 'metal bending under stress' every-time I turn in - or crawl, literally, over speed-humps. :?

Edit: Shaenei's got in there whilst I was typing this. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I now have MeisterR coilovers on the CR-X, I think they ride very well, firm but not crashy. On the softest setting, I'd go as far to say they were comfortable. Obviously you can harden things up way further than you'd ever want to for road use. Time will tell regarding longevity, but I'm still yet to read a bad review.

You always have the option of going down the second hand route as well, I don't know what forums you frequent, but just keep an eye on the classifieds. ;)

Maybe it's just me but I'm always dubious of new products that haven't had long enough to "settle in", ie, the MeisterR's haven't really been around long enough for people to slate for any issues. I mean, they're cheaper than the D2 coilovers, and they have been slated to hell and back for poor build quality and poor product life so I don't want to "waste" money on something I may have to replace in 6/9 months time for something I "should have bought the first time", if you catch my drift? Yet there is the aspect that I haven't seen a negative feedback in regards to them, so the price is tempting, but the, some might say snob, I say back of mind niggles, in me, can't see past the fact that they are so cheap in comparison to the "tried and trusted" of the market....

Fair point - it's the reason, I'm still not comitted to a set yet :) So I do know what you mean.

Chase is having issues with his Tein Superstreets IIRC. Knocking/banging. :?

Maybe it's just me but I'm always dubious of new products that haven't had long enough to "settle in", ie, the MeisterR's haven't really been around long enough for people to slate for any issues.

I had the same thoughts before I got them. Decided to take a chance on them in the end and justified it with, nothing ventured nothing gained

Fair point - it's the reason, I'm still not comitted to a set yet :) So I do know what you mean.

Chase is having issues with his Tein Superstreets IIRC. Knocking/banging. :?

Do you not have the rubber sleeves around the spring? this eliminates the knocking, but I have heard TEIN springs are noisy buggers.

Spoon springs FTW.

Do you not have the rubber sleeves around the spring? this eliminates the knocking, but I have heard TEIN springs are noisy buggers.

Spoon springs FTW.

Dude; did have those - they have absolutely disintegrated in less that 1,000 miles and two and a half months. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

How low did the Spoons drop after settling man? I think they're the top of the top-shelf springs for the EP3, nothing is as expensive IIRC - whilst I'm asking; were there any issues at all with them - groans, squeaks, moans, knocking etc?

TIA

I can't remember but I do remember they seemed to lower them slightly more than the Eibachs.

http://www.spoonsports.co.uk/produc...Y&level2=LOWERING+SPRING+KITS&level3=&id=2753

The ride height looks just right IMO.

2009-08-25_17-13-32_250820091357.jpg

2009-08-25_17-12-22_250820091354.jpg

Aaaagh everytime I see pics of that car it reminds me of why I should not have sold it :(

Maybe it's just me but I'm always dubious of new products.... I don't want to "waste" money on something I may have to replace in 6/9 months time for something I "should have bought the first time", if you catch my drift? ...
These things do come with a warranty you know. ;)

That's fair enough, it is sometimes easier if not a little more expensive to go with the tried and tested products, but all products were new once, they had to build their reputation too. It's just a case of whether or not you're willing to roll the dice.

I can't remember but I do remember they seemed to lower them slightly more than the Eibachs.

http://www.spoonsports.co.uk/produc...Y&level2=LOWERING+SPRING+KITS&level3=&id=2753

The ride height looks just right IMO.

2009-08-25_17-13-32_250820091357.jpg

2009-08-25_17-12-22_250820091354.jpg

Aaaagh everytime I see pics of that car it reminds me of why I should not have sold it :(

I agree - they look lower than the Eibachs and my Teins too TBH.

Any word on prospective groans/noise or issues etc?

I don't want to rub it in - but you should never have got rid man - awesome, awesome car - making nice N/A power. The 'g2glol' drag-strip image FTW LOL.

Nope it never moaned or groaned, the same applied when I had Spoon springs on the DC5 too..

Saying that the Eibach's are a good choice but I would always choose spoon given the choice.

dsc02107pc9.jpg

After seeing a few DC5's at TGM today I got a bit nostalgic...

I think I might go for the Spoon Progressives - not cheap though man.

I have camber components on the car already - so I think I'll go with the Spoons, I mean they're a lot for springs - double the price and some, of many so I reckon if that's an indicator of their quality, and I can get these set-up properly, I'll be laughing. I'd rather pay a bit more for springs, than get a cheap set of coilies.

The noisy Tein's annoy me, no end. :mad:

I remember I got a good deal from James (Touge) for my Spoon springs, but that was before the Yen went mental, I think I paid around £200 for them.

TGM stock them.

Spoons are a good choice :)

I found some pics, not much but I know you like to hoard them..

2009-06-04_12-08-36_040620091134.jpg

2009-06-04_12-34-18_040620091135.jpg

2009-06-04_14-45-06_040620091143.jpg

2009-06-04_14-26-38_040620091142.jpg

2009-06-20_14-09-52_200620091124.jpg

I had Spoon springs on my old EP3, and really liked them, no knocking/groaning, and worked well for what they are.

Back