• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Unusual Aux belt activity?

Hey all anyone experienced this before?

There is a squeak coming from the aux belt which can be heard from inside the car, it isn't really affected by revving the engine however changes very slightly. I was told to squirt some WD40 on the top of the belt With one tiny tiny squirt the squeak is gone, job done... or so i thought. After about 24 hours of lubing the belt the squeak comes back even if i drench the belt in WD40.

Any thoughts? Thank you in advance!

I have no idea what the sqeak is but you shouldn't be drenching the belt in wd40 as it will slip.

Came into thread expecting to hear of a cambelt acting strangely, casing houses and selling drugs to kids. Little disappointed.

I think I had the same thing with my EP3 IIRC, I doubt your tiny application of WD40 found the exact spot on the belt or the pulley however. Unless you got really lucky lol. It's more likely to be the whole belt, or a pulley bearing. When was the belt changed last?

I don't think the belt has been changed from new its on the 05 plate and im on 76k miles, I take it that it is probably due soon no? How often are they meant to get changed and is it a long costy process?

First I would inspect the belt ribs condition and then the tension on it as it could be too tight and generating a lot of friction then after that, the belt tensioner condition!! Than replace accordingly, new belt is cheap but tensioner might might cost you a litlle bit. You can always ring Honda for prices and tegiwa will also supply you with any Honda bits you may need with a discount for being a forum member!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm friends with a mechanic at my local Honda dealer and prices aren't really a problem, the only real problem will be figuring out what it is so I can tell him directly and not asking him to snoop around for me as he does a lot for me rather cheap and I don't wanna annoy him or waste his time lol

Unfortunately you just can't guess what's wrong with it first unless it's something very obvious , but it's a process of elimination, first you diagnose the fault then you you fix the fault!

Unfortunately you just can't guess what's wrong with it first unless it's something very obvious , but it's a process of elimination, first you diagnose the fault then you you fix the fault!

Very true :/ Maybe ill just replace the whole lot soon! I think its due at 80k anyway!

Sounds like it could be the belt or sometimes it's the top wheel baring on the pulley so might be worth replacing that while your doing the belt.

I would say switch the engine on and standing on the drivers side with the bonnet open look down at the belt. where the belt runs round you will see the tensioner pulley. Watch as it run rounds and look if it seems to "wobble" on its mounting. If it does grab the wd40 and just aim a bit at the centre of the pulley. The reason I say it could be that is mine does exactly the same. Planning to get mine replaced next time its serviced.

Hey
I've just posted a new thread. Basically, mine was making that strange noise and the end result was the cog thing snapped clean off.

Had the same problem last year, squealed abit, did the whole wd40 thing, lasted all of half hour, end result was the bearing was flipped in the pulley so was just spinning causing a crap load of smoke, and shards of metal alover the place, can you not just use a screwdriver or something on the top of the pulley and then put your ear to it, you'll be able to hear if the bearing is nakered if that makes sense?

Dean

Had the same problem last year, squealed abit, did the whole wd40 thing, lasted all of half hour, end result was the bearing was flipped in the pulley so was just spinning causing a crap load of smoke, and shards of metal alover the place, can you not just use a screwdriver or something on the top of the pulley and then put your ear to it, you'll be able to hear if the bearing is nakered if that makes sense?

Dean

Back