• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Very noobish question.

Hi, i've never really had a car to proud of. I've run aloud of bangers, and as long as there not covered in mud or bird do-ings i'm usually happy. However with my civic when it arrives I really want to keep it looking nice.

I was wondering however, with the wax, and shampoo's and clay and all the other ways i'm gonna be able to waste my sundays, are there products that are better then others. And is it a case of "buy cheap, buy twice". Just was looking for some pointers to a noobs car detailing/cleaning/sunday time wasting kit.

Unless you buy really cheap stuff you'll be fine.

Just got for Autoglim or Meguiars. Both around the same price and good stuff.

cheers, thanks for the advice, what about dodo juice (?), think my mate at work was talking about it today?
also what would you advice to get get kit wise for a first timer. like how much of what and stuff like that.

Cheers :)

Im not much of an expert on what wax, polish etc. to buy (I just normally go for Autoglym) but when it comes to cleaning some of the best advice ive been give is to never ever wash the car with a sponge. It just rubs the salt, mud, dirt, stones & everything else into the paint work creating loads of light scratches.

Get a microfibre cloth & use 2 buckets for cleaning. One should just be clear water & the other should have whatever cleaning product youve got in it. After cleaning an area of the car you should rinse the cloth in the clear water (I usually do it a panel at a time). You'll also want to dry the car with a microfibre towel.

That should help prevent light scratches & a lot of hard work getting them out later.

Its explained more in depth here - http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?42463-The-Cleaning-Guide

& never, ever take it through a car wash.

yeah, think i'll give that a go, was famular with the two bucket techniquie, never used it yet though. think i'll treat myself to some cleaning stuff

cheers, thanks for the advice, what about dodo juice (?), think my mate at work was talking about it today?
also what would you advice to get get kit wise for a first timer. like how much of what and stuff like that.

Cheers :)

Dodo juice is pretty damned good for the money and all the waxes do a good job in protecting your paint for 3-6 months, depending which one you choose.

Quick tips are get a cheap pressure washer if you don't already have one, jet wash as much dirt off prior to the wash, use a noodle mitt or lambswool mitt (I prefer noodles for easy maintenance) and always use the 2 bucket method.

thanks for the advice, think im gonna invest in some dodo products, and maybe a power washer next month. might even buy a new bucket if i'm feeling swish :)

If you shop around on amazon etc, you can pick up a nilfisk C110 up for around £50, which are really well made for the money

took your advice, got a nilfisk and 50quid worth of waxes, shampoo's, chamois, cloths and other bits on the way. super stoked.

took your advice, got a nilfisk and 50quid worth of waxes, shampoo's, chamois, cloths and other bits on the way. super stoked.

Nice! Nothing like getting new stuff to treat your car with :)

Careful with the chamois (leather) as they can drag any grit or such like across your paint work that hasn't been rinsed away..... . I use drying towels, which you can pick up quite cheap, even asda had some last time I was in there. Plusher the better really.

What wax and shampoo did you get?

i bought some clay bars, aloud of dodo juice stuff, wax, shampoo, wheel cleaner, window cleaner and something else. a glaze or somethng. red mist i think it was. along with aloud of microfibres, a wool mitt and a detailing bag

Tom if you get stuck or need any tips I am local to you and always happy to lend a hand. Word of warning though the whole detailing thing becomes addictive.

sounds good to me mate. i think im gonna have a bash this weekend, think all my stuff I have ordered should be here by now. think everything is here but the wax and shampoo now

i bought some clay bars, aloud of dodo juice stuff, wax, shampoo, wheel cleaner, window cleaner and something else. a glaze or somethng. red mist i think it was. along with aloud of microfibres, a wool mitt and a detailing bag

Awesome haul....... Like Al says.... Detailing gets addictive (in a good way) so beware.

A tip on the red mist, don't use it til a week after you've applied your wax

yeah, my missus keeps going mental when everyday a bit more gets delivered. And i cant wait for the weekend now to have a good clean. They guy who owned before has waxed it but not very well, aha.

Okay doke, i've become slightly addicted. Twice in one week. Inside and out. Here's a couple of pictures of my work:

IMG_1475.jpg

IMG_1477.jpg

IMG_1471.jpg

IMG_1468.jpg

I used the dodo juice orange stuff, cant remember the name, and 4 or 5 days later used the red mist stuff

Back