• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Vibration/rattling noise at 3-4k? Drive shaft heat shield

Yh ** get it up in the air again tmr, there's no play in the steering I've checked all the drop links for play even had a lever on the lower arms but nothing. I did set tracking last week because I fitted 4new tyres as the previous fronts were knackered on the inside edge but the noise was there prior to me changing the tyres. Im at a loss at the moment, I'm hoping I find what's causing it

no the noise only happens as u move the steering wheel, I'm talking a slight left to right, it vibrates through the wheel, really feels like metal moving on dry rubber. ** get a mount ordered in the next few days, looks simple to change, ** just throw a jack under the engine to take the weight and whip it off. Like u say it needs doing anyway

I can tell it's not intentional but please mind the text speak.

http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?69042-View-on-Text-Speak

thanks for this thread... had the same rattle at precisely 3k.. a crowbar fixed the rattle on my driveshaft heatshield and meant i could keep it in place :)

I have a buzzing sound coming from inside the centre console near the gear stick. It happens between 3500-4000 RPM.

I've already removed the driveshaft heat shield. All other heat shields are all sound.

Anyone else have a similar issue?

I have a buzzing sound coming from inside the centre console near the gear stick. It happens between 3500-4000 RPM.

I've already removed the driveshaft heat shield. All other heat shields are all sound.

Anyone else have a similar issue?
I had the same noise from mine, after hours of searching it turned out to be the scuttle panel vibrating. One of the plastic clips had come loose so I secured it and ain't had a problem since. The only other rattling noise I get is from the interior light, typical Japanese craftsmanship. Hopefully you find the noise mate

I had the same noise from mine, after hours of searching it turned out to be the scuttle panel vibrating. One of the plastic clips had come loose so I secured it and ain't had a problem since. The only other rattling noise I get is from the interior light, typical Japanese craftsmanship. Hopefully you find the noise mate
Thanks Smithy, however mine doesn't seem to be the scuttle panels.

When you guys say to remove the cat heat shield, is that the one that wraps around the cat (2-piece), or the one that attaches to the chassis and goes about half way around the cat?

I had a look at the manifold heat shield and it looks different to the ones at the beginning of this thread. Possibly because mine is a JDM EP3 - different headers? Looks like a 4-2 and then a 2-1 before the cat.

Mine was rattling for ages?!.... found it was the casing around the cat.
It has rusted and started to come loose, fixed the problem by using
4-5 large jubilee clips and fixing them together to make one.
Fastened round the casing it has completely resolved the rattling.

Thanks for this sticky. I has assisted me in finding a loose bolt that was causing nasty vibrating sounds. Issue is now fixed :D

i have this problem its annoying the mechanic has checked car the heat shield is already removed. maybe i need to see the exhaust manifold area to see if anything is loose but it happens at the starting of 3k rpm

stupid question, but if the rattle turns out to be the I-VTEC cover, how can you stop it? i quite like the cover so would like to keep it on but have no rattle.

Putting a couple of rubber washers under the cover normally stops it, just to raise it off the inlet manifold a bit.

I too will be inspecting all shields/covers the weekend as what I've read sounds very similar to what I'm hearing, only happens around 3/4000 RPM Shame as the rest of the car is silent.

i get a kind of key type bell sound when cruising,its hard to describe really unless i record it. can the heatshield cause this?

a low RPM rattle has been driving me insane since i got my ctr in may, cheers for the awesome Thread, has moticated me to drag it to a pit and do something about it :)

Back