• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Vitka's left hand drive NHB EP3

#-o Must be nice that it doesn't overheat now though :D

I'm sure you'll get that wheel arch liner sorted soon & then hopefully a few years trouble free motoring will come your way :smt023

#-o Must be nice that it doesn't overheat now though :D

I'm sure you'll get that wheel arch liner sorted soon & then hopefully a few years trouble free motoring will come your way :smt023

As we say it in Hungary, "may the prophet speak through you"

My one and only track day of the year. Nice weather, good people, everything was perfect. Same as last year, the PS4s overheated, this is not the kind of driving they were made for. I improved my laptime by 3 tenths, which I am very happy about, but I still need a bigger pair in some corners. For trackdays I added a few parts to the future modifications list:
- LSD
- a set of springs, probably Eibach Pro
- refurb and stiffen dampers
- an extra set of wheels with track-ready tyres, I'm thinking Nankang NS2Rs, we'll see

Last edited:
Injen still ok? ;)

Injen is still good :) Although a piece of advice regarding it has me worried. A guy, who has respectable knowledge about K20 engines told me, that due to various CAIs used in EP3s, he has seen AFR as high as 13.5 in VTEC. He said, he has seen pretty ****ed up K20 engines do to the lean mixture. Have you ever monitored it before your tune? I have an OBD Link LX and Torque app, but I cant figure out how to do it, couldn't find anything exact on the interwebs about it.

Last edited:
It feels like it's been forever since the last update. I haven't done anything to the car for about 18 months, apart from putting in a new water pump. It's been rough, and that's putting it very mildly, I was close to having to sell her, and I would've, if not for my girlfriend and parents.

I was planning on keeping her in the garage for a while more, but the thermostat on our daily driver Seat gave up, so I had to get her out and use her this week to go to work. This meant I had to put in the new Yellowstuff pads I got for christmas, and now I'm about 70% done with breaking them in. The last 10% is always the fun part :D And I must say, driving her every day really does put a smile on my face, after all the crap, that's behind me now.

I'm planning on doing the engine refurb next month, which has been a long time coming.

First trackday of the year! Chilly weather, windy, but it was awesome to get back together with the group I do trackdays with. It was about 10 degrees celcius, which meant, that the PS4s kept up better, than usual. But after only 1 stint of 7 laps, the V-belt gave up, thankfully in the paddock while idling. Fortunately I know the receptionist of a nearby small hotel, where I stayed due to company business, and I could put the car in their parking lot, it's only a few kilometeres from the track. Friends brought us home, they deserve a huge thank you, because the track is 170 km away from home. I'll get a new belt on tuesday, go back with girlfriend, fit it, and drive her home. It's unfortunate, but no big deal, luckilly it's only the belt, it just slipped to the side and stayed there, everything else if fine. I didn't want to call a trailer, because that would've cost a fortune, considering the distance.

Last edited:
Bet you’re glad it happened in the paddock and not out on track, close call!

Bet you’re glad it happened in the paddock and not out on track, close call!
Very glad! The side wire in the belt got separated on the full length, so I ended up with 2 loops. The smaller one got ejected through the bottom, and the wider one slid to the side, and stopped there, as on the image. Best possible outcome at the best moment. Have I had it worse, it could've gotten tangled up in there, destroyed the alternator, or the water pump, or the crank pulley, and God knows what else. Also, I could've gotten stranded in the middle of the freeway, hours away from home. Thanks, I'll take this one

Last edited:
It wasn't just the belt...

I don't know what it is yet, but as soon as I put the new one on, and started her up, the belt immediately slipped to the side. It didn't fall off completely, it was about 1/3 off and stayed there. With the belt off, the whole assembly, which holds the top pulley and the tensioner moves around, so I think a bolt or something broke. Not sure yet though, didn't have the nerve to look into it more, that will have to wait until next week.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. If it helps, the crank pulley is a pretty common part to fail which would result in the symptoms you have.

Thanks for the info, I'll make sure to take a look at it also. Although I do not know what a failed pulley looks like.

I spent about an hour with her yesterday. At this point I started having an idea on what could be wrong.
And this is what I ended up with.

As the belt split in 2, it probably got tangled up in there and pulled on the tensioner so hard, that 2 bolts broke. Working in this area is a bitch, but I'm glad it's only 2 bolts, it caused a huge hassle compared to what it is. Get the broken bolts out, order 3 new ones in a Honda dealership, put her back together, crack on. Although I sure hope this was the last of the problems caused by the neglect of previous owners.

I'd like to sum up the past 2 weeks, mostly for their morbidly comedic values. It would be way too long in detail, so I'll stick to a flow chart format, it's even funnier that way.

car arrives home after incident with belt --> take top pulley off, not enough space --> hoist engine up, take off engine mount from engine, not enough space --> take out rubber mushroom engine mount from fender, enough space --> buy cordless drill, bits and tools, start drilling --> drilling takes a very long time, bits are too soft, hardly enough space to drill --> brake all drill bits, buy more --> continue drilling --> attempt to use tool for broken bolts, tip breaks into hole drilled in bolt --> mixed rage and disbelief --> try drilling again, no result --> give up, ask for help --> friend promises help, fails to show up, then fails to show up a week later again --> after disappointment, get pissed and motivated at work --> buy more drill bits, another set of bolt removers, find out, that I failed to buy a handle for bolt removers --> get home, remove a bolt in 15 seconds --> yay --> try drilling other bolt with more expensive titanium drill bit, no result --> find out, that hole is open on other end --> accept, that intake must be removed --> remove intake --> other end of bolt in reach, start drilling --> drill for overly long time --> bolt remover's tip too long and thin to work --> get idea to use previous bolt remover with broken tip, it's shorter and thicker --> break bolt remover into other end of bolt --> disbelief, rage --> start drilling again --> bolt remover being heat treated, progress is incredibly slow --> ask other friend for help, doesn't work out --> look up information on drilling --> cobalt drill bits can drill steel --> buy cobalt drill bits -->progress still painfully slow --> get advice, that cordless drill might be too weak --> get regular drill as a present --> start drilling again --> slow progress --> try bolt remover regularly, can't get it to grip --> drill bit comes out the other end --> surprised --> put in bolt remover, it hooks --> attempt to get bolt out, handle of bolt remover breaks, thing is too weak --> laugh in disbelief --> find out, that broken bolt remover tip, being heat treated thus very hard, pushed drill bit to the side --> drilled diagonally, ruined thread --> look to buy water pump housing

My english vocabulary is not sufficient to express how feckin infuriating this was. It seems I can buy a water pump housing in Hungary, so after that it's just a matter of time putting her back together, hopefully. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
She's back together now, no leaks, as good as ever, we've done a few hundred miles problem free, she'll be fine now. Although, after ripping out the old throttle cable, (didn't come out otherwise) did I realize, that I ordered a right hand drive one... FML

Back