• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

What did you do to your Type R today?

1, clip out the airbag logo I used the point of a sharp knife and did this from the top edge
2, get an 8mm socket and remove the bolt
3, open the door and remove the door seal around this area
4, pull the trip forward from the top corner. This clips around the dash at low level so I did not remove this there but pull forward to give the access required
5, get some foam tape like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Single-S...hash=item3a8467ebcb:m:mr9wILNeAeFePWhx9swmGfg
6, apply some foam tape to the plastic positioning teeth that meet the metal trim next to the window screen and the 2 x metal plates where the bolt goes and the panel retaining clip.
7, refit

feel free to do a how to guide with photo when you do yours ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
There are far too many interior rattles on this car, and they all appear to be affected by it to one degree or another..
Mine vary when they happen, but seem to be worse from cold.
This is something I am definitely not impressed with.....it is just not good enough Honda!

I agree but same with most cars and where easily fixed once located. Just takes a little patience to locate and tackle each one with normally a little tape to pack out the area.

I agree but same with most cars
I have to disagree. When spending 30 odd grand on a brand new car you should not have to simply accept this level of interior rattles as normal.
Taking it to the extreme....if you bought a brand new Rolls Royce would you be happy taking the dashboard apart to locate and fix rattles? If you say no then precisely at which point would you draw the line?
Out of the 5 brand new cars I have bought this is by far the best looking and most powerful, and i might add most expensive, but definitely the worst for rattles.
All credit to you for finding and fixing them though, and I will probably use your helpful step by step. :)

There are far too many interior rattles on this car, and they all appear to be affected by it to one degree or another..
Mine vary when they happen, but seem to be worse from cold.
This is something I am definitely not impressed with.....it is just not good enough Honda!

My car's developed one that's quite annoying.

A squeak coming from the rear. I'm guessing it's the boot lid stoppers not being tight enough when really cold so it moves around slightly and squeaks. Goes away once warm.

Wonder if you can adjust them at all?

These things are usually adjustable. :)
Like you say though a lot of these squeaks and rattles seem to get less when everything properly warms up.
Unfortunately most of my journeys are only 8 miles to work and back so I tend to hear them all the time.

I have to disagree. When spending 30 odd grand on a brand new car you should not have to simply accept this level of interior rattles as normal.
Taking it to the extreme....if you bought a brand new Rolls Royce would you be happy taking the dashboard apart to locate and fix rattles? If you say no then precisely at which point would you draw the line?
Out of the 5 brand new cars I have bought this is by far the best looking and most powerful, and i might add most expensive, but definitely the worst for rattles.
All credit to you for finding and fixing them though, and I will probably use your helpful step by step. :)

To be honest it does not matter if the car is £5k or £30k if new it should not rattle but the fact is sometimes they do. VAG seem to screw t or clip the dash together better but they lack the quality in the engineering of the mechanicals to Honda (my opinion anyway) as for sure VAG's seem to throw the owners some repair bills but they still love em!

The fact is there is some minor rattles so rather than waste hours keep taking the car back to Honda I prefer to waste around a hour and a fiver and fix them myself as a lot less hassle.

Still under warranty, I'd be getting dealers to sort any rattles and squeaks out.

To much hassle for how easy they are to fix, I can fix a rattle quicker than I can drive to the dealer never mind leave the car or wait for it. Normally the hard part is finding them if they don't rattle often but if they rattle all the time very easy as you just apply pressure to the area and the rattle disappears then its normally a 5 minute fix once the source of the rattle has been located. Got to be honest *** the FK8 has had more dash rattles than the FK2 that was faultless in this area other than the passenger grab handle but for sure the FK8 has no mechanical suspension rattles.

My car's developed one that's quite annoying.

A squeak coming from the rear. I'm guessing it's the boot lid stoppers not being tight enough when really cold so it moves around slightly and squeaks. Goes away once warm.

Wonder if you can adjust them at all?

Try unscrewing them a quarter turn. They have a thread incorporated into them. Might do the trick.

Is this for an fn2? I sometimes get a noise from the boot which stops after I've moved off

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

The rubber stoppers on the boot lids of all Hondas are screwed in, including FN2s. You can try adjusting it a bit and see if it helps.

The rubber stoppers on the boot lids of all Hondas are screwed in, including FN2s. You can try adjusting it a bit and see if it helps.
Thanks bud. Not that fussed bud made me wonder when reading the thread. Will get tgm to look at it in the summer

Don't even have my parcel shelf extended. it's in its roll.

Could be wrong but it doesn't sound like it's coming directly behind me (where the roll is)
Yes sounds like it's coming from the boot floor or tailgate when driving off from stationary

turned my stoppers out a quarter turn this morning. no noise at all :)

might just be as it was a little warmer this morning but we'll see

To be honest it does not matter if the car is £5k or £30k if new it should not rattle but the fact is sometimes they do.
The more money you spend the better quality you should expect. I never had these rattles at 25 grand so I was definitely not expecting them at 30 grand.
You cant buy a brand new car for 5 grand, but if you could I would not be expecting much in the way of build quality. :lol:
I agree that dealers can be quite useless at finding and fixing a rattle that the customer can hear all the time. :(

I agree that dealers can be quite useless at finding and fixing a rattle that the customer can hear all the time. :(

I have a high-end inkjet printer (9 ink, etc.) that makes a rhythmic ticking sound when in standby. I took it back to the dealer and complained; the dealer had it in their service centre for several days and said they couldn't hear anything, but gave me a new one anyway, that one ticks too. Sometimes the area where a device is being tested works against repairers/service-agents due to the noise of their environment.

The noise for me is loud enough that when the room is otherwise quiet I prefer to have music on rather than having that constant ticking :/

Back