• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

What did you do to your Type R today?

I can't recommend brodit enough, they make some great solutions for phone holders. They've been around for years, even had one on my old EP3
Brodit.com

This just arrived today, all the way from the U.S ! Looking forward to fitting it soon :D

OGwfbzw.jpg

Sold it :( Being collected Thursday, but on to better things (personally).

I've loved every minute of ownership and I know I'll really miss the car, I just have a V8 itch i've been meaning to scratch for a long time. It probably won't be anywhere near as fun as the civic, but due to my daily (London) commute I'm wanting an automatic too. Maybe one day I'll have one again...

I've just reverted it back to standard, [mod edit - no sales outside of the For Sale section]

Thanks for all of your help!

Dealer keeps on ringing me to swap, hell knows why, every time he checks there are no cars available until March (sonic) June for others and said the offer isn’t competitive.

I paid £33.1k for my car January 2018, today the same spec and colour car £36.9k (limited edition car doesn’t seem bad value!) personally I found at 33k it seemed reasonable value but I can’t see me buying another Civic Type R now or in the future.

2022 car is going to be a 40k car for sure. When you look at the Yaris perhaps it is inline price wise and the hot hatch market is going to move to a smaller 30-40k car, Fiesta, Subaru I imagine will bring out cars like the Yaris as both into Rallying.

Where does that leave the current range of ‘Hot Hatches’ and the Type R. With the new Civic (might as well call it an Accord as it is even bigger!) allegedly going to be petrol only, I foresee the next type r flopping due to high price and relatively average performance against the likes of VW, BMW, Merc who will produce hybrid ‘super hatches’, leaving Honda in the U.K. lacking anything interesting again. Took me 18 years to come back after to something interesting after my earlier exploits.

What’s peoples thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
All the best, have you bought a mustang then?!

Any other bits or just the intake?

Just the intake, private plate and dash cam which'll be moving with me on to the next car.

Not a mustang... a C63 AMG :) 4.0 V8 biturbo

So long FK8...
DSC-0449.jpg

Dealer keeps on ringing me to swap, hell knows why, every time he checks there are no cars available until March (sonic) June for others and said the offer isn’t competitive.

I paid £33.1k for my car January 2018, today the same spec and colour car £36.9k (limited edition car doesn’t seem bad value!) personally I found at 33k it seemed reasonable value but I can’t see me buying another Civic Type R now or in the future.

2022 car is going to be a 40k car for sure. When you look at the Yaris perhaps it is inline price wise and the hot hatch market is going to move to a smaller 30-40k car, Fiesta, Subaru I imagine will bring out cars like the Yaris as both into Rallying.

Where does that leave the current range of ‘Hot Hatches’ and the Type R. With the new Civic (might as well call it an Accord as it is even bigger!) allegedly going to be petrol only, I foresee the next type r flopping due to high price and relatively average performance against the likes of VW, BMW, Merc who will produce hybrid ‘super hatches’, leaving Honda in the U.K. lacking anything interesting again. Took me 18 years to come back after to something interesting after my earlier exploits.

What’s peoples thoughts?

Hmm, interesting points. So the current type r has arguably better reviews and excitement than the A35, old golf R, s3 etc, yet sat a good few grand cheaper. Now a brand new mk8 golf gti is 38k with options, with the afore 4wd mentioned as good as 40k+ cars so Honda have raised the price but are still comfortably cheaper. I still think compared to those it offers good value for money, clearly not as 2,3 years ago but compared with its rivals. And it’s all about the monthlies for many so as long as it’s affordable still in now they structure it.

I think we have seen the last golf r that’s just been revealed. The id3 is the future golf. The A class has got a mid life refresh next year, then what 2-3 years after that so can’t see them doing a new a class with petrol, think it will be electric. Audi just brought out the new a3, s3 and a new RS3 on the way, again can’t see a new petrol hybrid a3 before the ban. Bmw have room with the one series for a hybrid yes, but the 135i hasn’t hit the spot, and the ti surely won’t, so a hyper m140 likely at bigger money.

So the next Type R with I estimate 330-340 max could be 40k but I really can’t see it, 38k max. So it sits with the gti on price but still cheaper than the remaining 4wd hatches. I am not ruling out some hybrid assistance though.

Of course I’d be happily proved wrong, I am dreading electric cars to be honest. I will keep my fk8, wouldn’t get a new one, will see what’s what with the 2022

Given Honda's tiny European sales, especially for the FK8, it makes me wonder if they will bother with a new Type R in Europe. Most of their sales come from the US and Asia Pac.

If they do and it's even bigger than the FK8 I wouldn't buy one anyway no matter how good it was.

Given Honda's tiny European sales, especially for the FK8, it makes me wonder if they will bother with a new Type R in Europe. Most of their sales come from the US and Asia Pac.

If they do and it's even bigger than the FK8 I wouldn't buy one anyway no matter how good it was.

Very good point and I agree. The civic launch on twitch was extremely North American focused, didn’t mention Europe. Wouldn’t be surprised if we didn’t get it

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-germancars/new-vw-golf-r-on-sale-now-from---163-39k---/43456

£41K plus for the R with drift mode, £37K for the clubsport (edit: 44k easy with sensible options)

I was way off in my rant with the standard mk8 GTI, probably 35K with options (not 38K)

So yeah positioning of the new R IF WE GET IT will be interesting

For me, though, the new golf R just looks a bit boring? But i guess i drive an FK8 so i'm always going to say that. Now that GTI Clubsport in white looks more like it however. For me, also, 4wd on a hot hatch is wrong - just too much grip to make it fun.........but i haven't driven a GR Yaris yet!!

Wife off for a haircut later, she asks if I can take her in the Honda as she doesn't want to drive the Cooper in the snow.

chance to give those winter contacts a test. (look away now)

B6FC6BEA-5966-49D0-9A6D-B19E451F656D.jpeg

I could tell her it's only a haircut but she's not had one since march and is now starting to resemble Cousin It from the Adams family :)

never forget looking out the window seeing little scrotes using my rear wing to line up their snowballs before luzzing them at the other kids...

never forget looking out the window seeing little scrotes using my rear wing to line up their snowballs before luzzing them at the other kids...
The convrnience and practicality of having a car with external tray table

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Back