• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 What to look out for when buying

Hi - I’m a recent joiner so apologies if this has already been raised somewhere (I couldn’t find much info using the search function).

Long time Type R fan and currently in an FN2 which I love to bits. We’re expecting our first child this summer so unfortunately need to upgrade to a 5 door.

I’m extremely keen on going for an FK2 however I had read online that they can have head gasket trouble but I can only find a handful of instances of real people on message boards mentioning this. Is it genuinely a big concern?

I have my eye on a 2015 FK2 with 60k on the clock (FSH etc.) but from what I’ve read this can be the age and mileage where the head gasket can melt on them. It’s a bit concerning as previously if you were in the market for a Type R with 60k on the clock you’d know you’d have a solid motor with the potential to go for another solid 60k+ (Up to 120k+).

It would be great to hear feedback from owners / previous owners / anyone familiar with the FK2’s on whether this head gasket issue is legit? Would the best course of action be to upgrade the head gasket on one if buying? And also, anything else concerning to look out for on them that I should be aware of?

Cheers!

I think un modified they are generally very reliable , I know of plenty fk2 that have shat themself when runnning remaps, head gaskets full engines letting go etc.

Mine never let me down but in 48k miles at stock power. i had the following done under warranty after various fault codes came up

Boost solenoid X1
gear Box work when 6 months old.
Boost solenoid again
Turbo (Not a common one)
Full engine wiring harness (stretched wire fault) there are much cheaper aftermarket fixes for this but at honda this was 2.5k under warranty.

At 60k.miles I'd expect a clutch to be needed very soon if its on the original.

Also 60k miles is when I'd expect new discs and pads all.round.potentialy too ,For the 2nd time in the cars life.

I think mine would have easily done another 100k miles personally.

Cheers mate - yeah I definitely wouldn’t touch anything that had been mapped, and I won’t be looking to map it myself either. 300+ bhp after the FN2 will be plenty of shove for me.

Is there anyone out there that has run an FK2 into high miles? And if so, any other pointers on what to look put for?

Here in New Zealand - I am just hitting 52000km, stock set-up nothing but general oil/ filter/... service. rear brake pads are due in July - otherwise I think the only replacements have ben wipers and tyres !!! NEVER had any gearbox issue, overheating/....... Never tracked. Very reliable tbh. If you start tweaking/ mapping/... the you do end up in another world of caution/.... Personally, look for the straightest, cleanest one you can find with a service history for piece of mind. Good luck. They are a great car.

Back