• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

When does an ep3 really run out of fuel

Where on the petrol gauge on an ep3 is truly empty. Is it just after the red or on the 0 like when the cars off ?

Not as far as when the gauge is off, you can clearly see white between red line and needle maybe about 2-3mm. Or 100 yards from the petrol station if you're me

Last edited by a moderator:
This type of thread is normally followed by a thread saying "I ran out of petrol" which is then followed by me PMSL

Trying to run the car to the last few vapours in the tank is pointless, if you're getting low and you see a petrol station just fill it, it saves the embarrassment of running dry.

The petrol light comes on with roughly 10 litres remaining ±3 litres (or it does for me), how far your car will go after that depends on your MPG.

The point on the gauge when your car will actually be empty will vary each time slightly

Last edited by a moderator:
Horse ****. There is no way my car will do 40 miles wen that light comes on!

I've done 64 miles on the red light and not run out.

Dol+wit+et_a567d2_3558158.gif

When it get's to below quarter of a tank, fill the ****er up. You have plenty of warning :lol:

Yeh I never let it go below a quarter tank usually but had to drive home from work last night on the light. Did 20miles motorway driving was fine. Didn't enjoy it much though

the problem with relying on the gauge alone is it isn't particularly accurate when you are right down at the dregs. if for example you have had the red light on for 10 miles and you park on a hill, depending on which way you park it when you start the car again the red light may be off and the gauge might have moved out the red. it settles down again after a few miles but it's all a bit risky. the general consensus is you've got about 40 miles of careful driving without lots of stop starts. you can push that higher if you were on a long run.

While we are on the subject, does running your car down to the vapour actually do any damage? I hear people (who know nothing about cars) saying you shouldnt do it because of all the sediment in the tank...(just for the record, I have never ran out of fuel and have driven 100's of thousands of miles)

Is this true or what? I think its a load of garbage to be honest - fuel is filtered upon transfers between refinery - truck - station - pump - tank - engine before it hits your injectors/carb....

I know it does damage to diesels. Never had any issues in petrol cars that I've been that have ran out of fuel.

While we are on the subject, does running your car down to the vapour actually do any damage? I hear people (who know nothing about cars) saying you shouldnt do it because of all the sediment in the tank...(just for the record, I have never ran out of fuel and have driven 100's of thousands of miles)

Is this true or what? I think its a load of garbage to be honest - fuel is filtered upon transfers between refinery - truck - station - pump - tank - engine before it hits your injectors/carb....

I doubt it, as you said the fuel is filtered plus cars have their own fuel filter too

Ive had about 30 - 40 miles out of the red light. But as others have said this can vary.

To be honest I dont trust the fuel gauge on the EP3 at all though.

Well if its anything like the EK civics (found a figure in the manual for the girlfriends car) then when the light comes on you have 7 litres left. when it gets to 0 on the gauge you have 3 litres left. so on that basis if you got the pump as it runs out anything from 45- 70 miles should be possible. As said gauge is a bit hit and miss though so i general fill up once the light comes on.

Back