• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Which FK8 - Pre-Facelift vs Facelift?

Hi all,

Looking for some advice, please.

After taking an age to decide on what my next car will be and going back-and-fourth, my heart has been set on an FK8.

I booked a test drive in early December and have been convinced since. The car I drove was a 2021 facelift which is where I’m having concerns.

From the research I’ve done, the press describe the facelift as having very minor changes… but is that a reality?

Has anyone gone from a pre-facelift to facelift FK8?

Apart from the immediate things you notice (alcantara wheel & gear knob), is there a noticeable driving difference?

With a £10k price gap, a pre-facelift car is where my head is currently at and serves as better value.

Thanks, Jack.

Hi Jack, not sure if it really helps answer your question as I've not even seen a facelift model let alone sat in or driven one but I wouldn't pay £10k to swap my 17k miles 2018 FK8 with a new 2020/2021 model. as you say it would be a lot to pay for a new gear shifter, steering wheel and some extra plastic bits on the exterior.

oh and I wouldn't have to put up with (or turn off) the fake exhaust noise coming through the stereo.

10k would get me some nice upgrades :)

For the 10 grand difference I would go with pre facelift unless you intend to track the car. The main changes were suspension, brakes and a larger grille openings which aid cooling if your going to track it. The alcantara steering wheel will get grubby. You could buy the gear knob if you wanted to and as for engine sound coming of the speakers we won’t go there. The only other decent upgrade was the stereo controls on the facelift and some updated software. I own a 2019 and the differences haven’t tempted me to trade in.

Thanks both. I didn't really notice the fake exhaust note, but having owned a Golf R I've kind of got used to fake induction sounds :D

From what I can piece together, the minor changes haven't massively changed the car. A pre-facelift is still great and some minor tweaks seems the best options. I understand you can fit the new discs, to a 2019 car, for example.

Dave - what is the updated software? Is that just infotainment related?

I'd probably go for the pre-facelift at a £10K price gap.

If you took £2000 of that gap, fitted an Acuity shifter (For the gearchange improvements - Which mostly seem to amount to a weighted gearknob!) and had an upholsterer wrap the wheel, gauge cover, A Pillars and center console uprights you'd still have ~£500+ in change, and you'd still have a nicer gearchange and interior. - Plenty left over to grab the 2021 discs & pads :)

The only thing you do miss out on is the suspension revisions, however, I note that Evo were a little unsure as to if they'd actually made much of an improvement - I'm also under the impression it may be possible to swap the adaptive damper controller for that of a 2021 model, but I don't think anyone has tried that yet.

In the recent ie today Pistonheads review he complains about a stiff ride in Sport, uncomfortably so with the latest version, I wouldn’t describe that in mine, be interesting to drive one to see.

I personally think the New blue one will hold value well, limited in numbers too, but ultimately if you want to put mileage on it a two to three year car will loose less and isn’t much difference, I swapped the grill £160, the brakes are £300, gear knob £70, refurb wheel £200 ish, sub £100 the only thing you can’t do is get the App with the data like oil pressure etc,.

Last edited:
Thanks both. I didn't really notice the fake exhaust note, but having owned a Golf R I've kind of got used to fake induction sounds :D

From what I can piece together, the minor changes haven't massively changed the car. A pre-facelift is still great and some minor tweaks seems the best options. I understand you can fit the new discs, to a 2019 car, for example.

Dave - what is the updated software? Is that just infotainment related?
apparently the face lift comes with something called LogR, an onboard data-logging app that displays and tracks vital vehicle information. I believe LogR can be accessed either through the car's infotainment screen or an iPhone/Android app. I had something similar on my old VXR.

apparently the face lift comes with something called LogR, an onboard data-logging app that displays and tracks vital vehicle information. I believe LogR can be accessed either through the car's infotainment screen or an iPhone/Android app. I had something similar on my old VXR.

yes that is correct and can not be retro fitted to older cars.

I thought you might like to watch this review of the updated FK8 from a great YouTube channel. They get properly into the technical differences. But to answer your question, I don't see £10k in it, the fake sound and vent appendages are not improvements either.

The new one does have additional engineering, i picked one up for Not too much more, 2k than a pre facelift a year older. The new one, I genuinely prefer it, but, it's splitting hairs and I genuinely will track mine and it's a commuting car too wanted the additional damping and cooling. It's not a bad choice to have to make pal. :) :) :) :D

I work in a dealership and have had the privilege of driving both.

Although it may not appear the have changed much on the facelift, they’ve played with the brakes, suspension and a few other bits

The difference is night and day the facelift feels so much more refined and sounds so much better!

Facelift all the way!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although it may not appear the have changed much on the facelift, they’ve played with the brakes, suspension and a few other bits

The difference is night and day the facelift feels so much more refined and sounds so much better!

Facelift all the way!!!

Spoken like a true dealer

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Facelift all the way!!!

The already glowing reviews of pre facelift seem to get an upward notch when reviewers go back to the face lift.

I think it depends what is important and fairly enough what someone's individual budget is too.

Both beautiful assassin's!

The already glowing reviews of pre facelift seem to get an upward notch when reviewers go back to the face lift.

I think it depends what is important and fairly enough what someone's individual budget is too.

Both beautiful assassin's!

Yeah absolutely, they’re both incredible cars! I would favour facelift though personally but your right it does depend on the individual

Facelift all the way!!!

Sounds better because of the fake noise coming through the speakers no doubt ;)

Hi all, having owned a 2017 and now a 2021 I can say the differences are well worth the investment.

Briefly, the front grille is now 13 percent wider which makes it run 18 degrees cooler on the track. You can tell unless you get down low but the front splitter is revised to direct air under the car to aid in adding downforce. The changes to the front fake air intakes on the 2017 are now functional channeling air into the intercooler. The Adaptive Damper Suspension computer reads inputs ten times quicker in order to adjust the suspension accordingly. you can really feel this when driving it. Additionally, the Civic Type R’s suspension components, such as the joints and bushings, are now 10 percent stiffer and you can feel this as well. The Brakes are now a two-piece construction, which cuts unsprung weight by 2.5 pounds each and adds to the stopping power. The pedal is much firmer too. The Comfort mode is now more comfortable, and +R mode is now a lot harder. The biggest difference for me is the gearbox. The ratios and synchro's have been adjusted and the throw is now shorter. It makes the box feel tighter and more precise. The alcantara wheel feels premium.

Add all this together and it feels a nice improvement over the 2017 IMO.

Can't comment on the facelift FK8 as I've never driven one but I can pass judgement on the Alcantara wheel which seems to be getting bad press on this thread...

I've got one on my other car and it's lovely. Yes, they do require that bit more attention than a regular leather wheel but providing you vacuum it regularly and clean it properly every now and again, it'll last ages - mine has been on the car for 31k now and is about ready for its 3rd wet clean with upholstery cleaner (I've used Autoglym before) but you can use specific Alcantara cleaner just the same. It's holding up just fine.

Hope that helps, Gary.

Back