• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Wrap instead of paint?

I have a 54 plate Milano red ep3. Paint is starting to fade. I want to get a full wrap the same colour or as close to. Has anyone done this and have photos? Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A full car vinyl wrap can be £800-£1200, which is more than a blow-over.

I'd go for paint personally :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be looking at having some one correct the paint polishing wise first before any paint or wrapping.

It's amazing what a good compound and decent cutting pads can do

Thanks for the replies guys. I have had some compound polishing done but in some places it's a bit to far gone. I suspect may the previous owner has had this done already and the paint is to thin now. Can't afford a full paint job so was thinking a wrap but I don't no how well all the joints can be done. Hoping someone has had this done and can help

A few people have been doing this around my area, mostly because it helps with stone chips etc, (Sorry no pictures though) if you could get it cheaper than a blow over and you know someone decent to do it, it might be worthwhile but after a while it will look tatty and need re-doing so you will be paying again and again to get it re wrapped if you want it looking tip top all the time. (I think they will last around a year depending on how well it's kept, how it's stored and how much it's used etc).

Personally I would prefer a blow over then maybe wrap the parts most susceptible to stone chips like bonnet, front bumper.

Cheers for you comment , my work van is wrapped by a good local company and it has lasted very well so I think that's probably what I'll do until I get the money for a complete paint job. If it gets tatty at least I can take it off and I've still got my normal paint

Regarding polishing / mopping / trying to save your paint - think twice

I'm fairly sure Milano Red is clear over base - meaning the paint UNDER the lacquer has reacted to UV. Therefore polishing or mopping the (clear) lacquer will have no effect other than making it a shinier shade of pink.

Not the same as other red cars (eg Vauxhall) who have a coloured top coat.

Regarding polishing / mopping / trying to save your paint - think twice

I'm fairly sure Milano Red is clear over base - meaning the paint UNDER the lacquer has reacted to UV. Therefore polishing or mopping the (clear) lacquer will have no effect other than making it a shinier shade of pink.

Not the same as other red cars (eg Vauxhall) who have a coloured top coat.

Partyvan, you are totally correct you cannot polish Milano red as it's base coated & lacqered on top i.e. the faded paint is under the lacqer :( - respray only option or wrap......

Can the lacquer not be cut back and then the one layer of the paint cut back and polished?

I have a red one too and am debating the same thing. There's a company called Bodywork London (based in Ilford) who do a lot of body work.

Can the lacquer not be cut back and then the one layer of the paint cut back and polished?

I have a red one too and am debating the same thing. There's a company called Bodywork London (based in Ilford) who do a lot of body work.

Would be hard to do that mate. Any decent body shop will want it repaint the whole panel from scratch

EP3 red is a bit different. I've read so many different things that I don't think a polish will work. I was speaking to someone at Mimms Honda who said that there is a pigment in the paint that makes it fade differently and worse than other red cars.

Is there any truth in that if you get your vehicle wrapped, and leave the vehicle wrapped year after year etc. When the wrap is removed, there is a high probability of pulling the paint/paint lacquer off when removing it.

I think it all depends on how long you plan to have it and what the car means to you. I had this dilemma a couple of years ago but mine was full on track car or respray. Mine only had 58k mileage and I bought it in 2009 and I love it. So went for a respray as I couldn't see myself getting rid of it. Still do track days in it though and was the best decision looking back.

Back