• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FD2 How long to find a Purple FD2

Hi all.

I have a Focus ST on lease that goes back in 4 months. I've started thinking about cars as I no longer want to lease and decided upon a Megane RS.....

But I have this burning desire to scratch an FD2 itch. I've seen TopGeezer's Purple Pearl FD2 and frankly my jaw is on the floor. There are not many FD2's for sale and I think I have only ever seen 1 FD2 in real life which was white. Thing is, how long do you think I would need to wait to source a Purple FD2? Is it best getting in touch with Torque GT and asking them to try source one? Or just Go for whatever color I can find in classified adds over the coming months?

Thanks

If you want a purple one, you'll almost certainly have to import for yourself. Best get that ball rolling now.

Thanks, actually I just read the import on its way thread, 5 months to arrive might be a bit risky so Ill keep an eye on classifieds I think

Purple ones are a the premium ones
Get the import wagon moving

Sent from my SM-G130HN using Tapatalk

Yep, get the import wheels in motion! Torque GT are brilliant by all accounts, but this means they won't bid on poorer condition examples, so there would be an auction wait for the right one to come up too, as well as the standard shipping/testing waiting times.

There was a purple FD2 on Pistonheads/Autotrader last week which I believe would be the 3rd one sold in this country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pistonheads one is sold now.. They are quite rare, bet your talking 7-9 months buying to getting here at least, if you find a good one fast

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hi,
I used JDM Auctionwatch to find an FD2 myself and then employed TorqueGT to organise the purchasing, shipping and arrangements of the car. I now own one of the very last FD2s produced, blackberry pearl (purple), totally as new condition and just 6K miles. Mind you it cost a bit but it was worth it.
Darren at TorqueGT was excellent in his communications and handling all aspects of bringing the car in. They checked the car out, bid on it to a specified limit ( I just told them to buy it whatever) and then sorted shipping and sorted all things for getting an IVA on the car. Costs were consistent with work carried out and everything was done as would be wanted. I have no connections with the company but was highly impressed.
The FD2 is a really interesting car, totally at odds with the current turbo car and all the better for it. I had a 6000 mile "first service" done at my local Honda dealer on the car and they were blown away by it. I get to drive virtually every car currently produced and the FD2 stands out as something really different and worthy of it's standing. Next to my CRX SiR 160 it represents all that is good about Hondas!
MC

p.s. if you look very carefully at the pic you can see the reflection of my FN2 Mugen 200 parked next to it. Great car but no FD2.

Attachments

• FD2.JPG
    FD2.JPG
    510.6 KB · Views: 83
Last edited by a moderator:
^ lovely car , I love my fd2. Best car I've owned to date. It's set up now just as I like it.

^ lovely car , I love my fd2. Best car I've owned to date. It's set up now just as I like it.
I agree. Great car that has character. the most important aspect of a car.
Today on circuit in a BMW 135i and a Cayman GT4. BMW capable but somewhat less than exciting. Just like a Golf R. Cayman VERY capable, model of superlative capability. Driven this car lots. A bit like a 991 Turbo S. You have to be impressed but you don't fall in love. Unlike a 997 RS gen 1. Back home to my FD2. More character than both, though clearly not as quick a circuit car as the GT4: Until you drive it you won't get it. It's a bit like a Clio 255 V6, not perfect (ride!) but so much character.

I think my problem with my old FD2 was it had to live up to the FN2 I had before and I put £14k of mods into that car. Then the FD2 was hindered by the fact that I went into it straight after the STi. I still miss that STi...

It just felt slow (by comparison), big (Accord like) and oh so so basic for the amount of money that was sat on the drive. It just felt like I'd taken a step back.

As an occasional car/garage queen it might have had some appeal but I daily my cars, why not, and they just aren't a commuter.

6 months and £4k I put into it, but I still don't regret selling it.

I agree in as far as I'm not sure I'd go back to one now - I had mine when they were shiny new and being light on kit and toys wasn't unusual in that price bracket. By current standards they're as luxurious as a Turkish prison.

40k miles in 3 years says you can commute in them though :smt023

Thanks all, some good comments I appreciate that. I think I might wait around and see what comes up as I would consider different colors rather than importing. I have zero patience and change my mind every week on cars but for some reason the FD2 remains in my mind.

For the record the other half HATES the civic and I know she will hate the spartan interior and harsh ride (lol at doodle saying its like a turkish prison), but she only drives it once a week for about 4 miles and I fund the cars anyway. My only real concern stepping into one from a Focus ST3 is torque, although I dont think I would mind too much dropping the cogs and working the engine as the ST needs working anyway - has 4 cylinders at the end of the day. Its 100 lb ft or so down. I know the FD2 will probably be more fun to drive in every way.

Second, as its so rare, how hard would it be to punt on? The purple ones don't seem to stick around.

I drove an FN2 when I was about 19 (im 27 now) and still remember the sublime gearbox, still to this day I dont think Ive used such a nice one. I didn't think the Engine was too bad low down and the thing felt like it went berserk top end. I think thats one of the reasons I want an FD2 but as people have stated it might be like going backwards. It would be a daily 30 mile commute part M3, part backroads which usually have cars in the way :)

I think my problem with my old FD2 was it had to live up to the FN2 I had before and I put £14k of mods into that car. Then the FD2 was hindered by the fact that I went into it straight after the STi. I still miss that STi...

It just felt slow (by comparison), big (Accord like) and oh so so basic for the amount of money that was sat on the drive. It just felt like I'd taken a step back.

As an occasional car/garage queen it might have had some appeal but I daily my cars, why not, and they just aren't a commuter.

6 months and £4k I put into it, but I still don't regret selling it.

How would you rate the ST against the FD2?

Looked through the FD2 thread, nice motor.

For that sort of commute I think you'll get sick of it. I need to drive another as I wasn't that impressed when I did drive one.

I've owned an ST and now a FD2.
The ST is a lot more comfortable and has some more gadgets but the steering feel was terrible.
You turned the corners but didn't feel the connection with the road.

The FD will massively impress you on handling.
Power wise the FD has it if both cars are standard.

I sold the FD2 and went to a MK3 Focus ST-2.

The steering rack is progressive on the ST and gets some getting used to but I was really happy on the whole with my choice, strong flexible power band on the engine, well balanced chassis that would let you play with the rear axle on lift off and trail braking, and a lovely place to sit.

That is until the Focus started falling apart. Steering rack failure on 14k, random electrical faults that I had a real struggle with Ford to fix on warranty (trim and bulbs aren't included in the 3 year warranty!). Absolute incompetence my by local dealer didn't help either. It's for those reasons I don't have an RS on my drive. I won't entertain the idea of another Ford unfortunately. I used to be a Ford man before Honda, but the recent ST was my 4th and last Ford. Just not screwed together like they used to be, or at least how I remember.

Back