• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 New member possible clutch or bearing problem

Hi all new EP3 owner and a new member.
I've been reading on your forum about my possible issue and there are several different possibilities, so I thought I'd be specific with my issue.

Car is a 2004 facelift EP3 with 104k full Honda history.
I've owned the car for a week now, and been taking it easy while I get used to it. Last few days I've been trying out the VTEC.
My problem is this, gear changes are smooth and silky when not in VTEC in all gears but when in VTEC the gear change is stiff and doesn't engage easily (like at low revs) into third it feels firmer or just doesn't seem to slot in.
On top of this, and I'm trying my best to describe it, but there is a whirring noise when driving at slow speed that disappears when the clutch is depressed.
From what I've read it could be, clutch or gearbox release bearing or a worn synchro.

Any my help would be great.
Thanks

Your symptoms are typical of a tired clutch. It's the pressure plate that goes so doesn't necessarily start slipping.

Guessing it is still on the original clutch at 104k?

The whirring will likely to be the clutch release bearing. While it's under load (clutch pressed) it doesn't whirr.

You change the clutch release bearing when you do the clutch, but only use a Honda bearing as a most other bearings start making a noise again pretty quickly.

If you are unlucky if might be one of the gearbox shaft bearings making the noise, but you'll only know that either if you crack the box or if it is still there after doing the clutch release bearing.

I have just had a thought. Could the problem I have be down to a worn engine or gearbox mount?

thanks, Simon

Release bearing is shot and weak springs in the clutch. Make sure you replace it with a Honda bearing.

Hi there I'm kev new on this site but I do work in the gearbox trade it sounds like the input bearing so when you change the clutch get a gearbox company to open your gearbox and check the bearings it will save you taking the gearbox out twice

Just wanted to say to say thanks everyone.
After getting your advice I went and got the clutch changed.
What a revelation!!! The car is a different machine!! Amazing and driving as it should.

All future readers if this post, if you have the same symptoms as me get the clutch done

Thanks again.

Hi all
the clutch from Honda was £650
i also got quotes from formula one and for an exedy it was £690

Back