• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Engine oil fuchs/ shell helix - my thoughts

I had the Fuchs Titan Supersyn 5w 40 - it is cheap and cheerful, anyone on a tight budget worth a try. I tried the Shell Helix 5w 40 and I am not impressed - for the 1st time I have had to top up between oil changes and I have not gone all Senna on the EP3 (driving style is lame for mileage with occasional push - Vtec is a rarity :( rather then norm). I had the oil & filter changed at 85k with above mentioned fuchs - no top ups required and then at 93k with shell helix - top up needed, now at 98k I am going to soon get the oil changed to fuchs race pro s which probably by far is the best one I have used thus far just not on this EP3.

Millers/ Mobil/ Motul - I am intrigued, but not sure I want to keep yoyo'n from 1 oil to another. Race Pro S and stick to it me thinks.

Cheers,
A

Good to hear your thoughts on it.

The Supersyn is good stuff for the money and when we used it in my brothers old FTO, it went from sounding like a bag of spanners to nice and smooth. The Shell is also a decent oil, I'm using it myself at the moment (in a Volvo rather than CTR) and I've got no consumption issues, the engine sounds better than it did with the previous oil (unknown, was new to me at the time).

The Shell is a little thinner (13.3cSt) than the Fuchs (14.2cSt), which would explain some of the higher consumption. Higher oil consumption doesn't mean an oil is lesser quality than another, there may be slight differences in the formulation that lead to the consumption. Also, consumption can be random. I think it was on here a couple of years ago, there was one guy who found his CTR was using a lot of the Pro S, so he changed to the Millers CFS 5w-40 and the consumption stopped. Another guy found that odd as he'd been using the Millers and his CTR drank that, but was fine with the Fuchs.

The Pro S is one of the top oils on the market, so if you want to pick one oil and stick with it, it's a very good choice.

Cheers

Tim

Good to hear your thoughts on it.

The Supersyn is good stuff for the money and when we used it in my brothers old FTO, it went from sounding like a bag of spanners to nice and smooth. The Shell is also a decent oil, I'm using it myself at the moment (in a Volvo rather than CTR) and I've got no consumption issues, the engine sounds better than it did with the previous oil (unknown, was new to me at the time).

The Shell is a little thinner (13.3cSt) than the Fuchs (14.2cSt), which would explain some of the higher consumption. Higher oil consumption doesn't mean an oil is lesser quality than another, there may be slight differences in the formulation that lead to the consumption. Also, consumption can be random. I think it was on here a couple of years ago, there was one guy who found his CTR was using a lot of the Pro S, so he changed to the Millers CFS 5w-40 and the consumption stopped. Another guy found that odd as he'd been using the Millers and his CTR drank that, but was fine with the Fuchs.

The Pro S is one of the top oils on the market, so if you want to pick one oil and stick with it, it's a very good choice.

Cheers

Tim

Hi Tim,

Many thanks about the explanation - something new every day :)

I have already ordered the Pro S 5l + 1l yesterday (used the forum discount of course), just awaiting delivery now.

Agreed, Fuchs was very good for the price, my car defo doesn't like Shell - although it did come packaged 5l+1l +shell pouch, can't really complain and at that price.I ran the Pro S on my annv ed previously and was happy with it so reverting to type really. I will keep an eye on the oil usage once it's changed etc. So I can update the thread.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
A

As above, just because consumption is high doesn't mean it's a bad oil. If you really want to compare the oils then you need to send away samples for analysis. No one on forums do yet they will always say product x is better than product y, with no actual evidence other than "my engine didn't blow up, sounded 'nicer' and didn't use as much".

As above, just because consumption is high doesn't mean it's a bad oil. If you really want to compare the oils then you need to send away samples for analysis. No one on forums do yet they will always say product x is better than product y, with no actual evidence other than "my engine didn't blow up, sounded 'nicer' and didn't use as much".

Sample Analysis will be the scientific way of proving it, however as per my original post - these are just my thoughts based on my experience. I originally said I was not 'impressed', rather then the oil is bad. It just doesn't suit my needs, however as mentioned by Tim in earlier post he is using it no problemo.

My Apologies, if this has somehow irked you it was never the intention.

Cheers,
A

Back