• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Can't wait to get into my ep3 today + what to get next

So I had to do some long distance driving so I took my 2016 golf tdi 2.0 auto for 4 days.

Day 1 : 55mpg
Day 2 : 42mpg
Day 3 : 35mpg
Day 4 : 29.2mpg

So in total I did 300 miles and it finished on 29.2mpg. I'm very dissapointed what a load of rubbish. I'd rather drive the ep3 like I done a bank job and it will still give me 24mpg.

Everyone has been encouraging me to get newer hatch, and sell type r. But I can't when people are buying rubbish for £10,000 and my £2,000 ep3 smashes it all.

I feel like this ep3 is never going to be sold. So I'm still hunting for a car that will do good mpg and long distance. The f type is not bad, but it requires too much brain power to drive straight in this weather. And the m6 doesn't ever go above 7mpg regardless of how you drive.

I'm leaning towards a Audi A5 Quattro 3.0 .

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've driven quite a few Audi diesels over the years and the 3.0 really does shift.

If I needed a long distance cruiser an A5 or an A4 would be up there through experience.

I'm not sure what you're doing to get such poor economy, I was getting 38+ on average in an Audi V6 diesel.

Chances are the Golf was going into DPF Regeneration giving you them poor MPG figures. Plus all the other variables and measured over a short distance for a diesel, it's not going to produce the figures people think modern diesels are capable of.
I own an EP3 and work for VW. If I had to pick one for a daily commute, MK7 Golf all day.

Personal experience with 2.0 diesel is that you have to drive at 50 rather than 70 to get excellent Mpg. Whereas a bigger engine seems to roll more effortlessly. I jus did a 110 mile trip on the ep3, it was awful handling due to heavy rain and gave me 26mpg. Now in that scenario any diesel would destroy it as you can't really drive quick in heavy rain (nearer to 40-50 rather than 65-70)

Something VAG with the 1.9 TDi engine is cracking value, good economy and very reliable. I'd go for an early B7 A4 Avant if you can get one! Rare though!

Here's mine, stands me at £2k including the wheels
bbsfitted_zpsi7d30coq.jpg

If I was you I would defo go for an older Audi rather than new ( 14 -16 plate ) two of my mates have Audi A6 TDI's and are both 15 plates but have to go to Audi all the time with problems. Mostly DPF faults and parking brake but still annoying that you have to keep going to Audi to sort it out.

I recently came across the 440i. The spec is okay for a 3.0 turbo however I was very impressed with the fuel mpg being around 55mpg. Being a petrol, I thought it was impressive to have 300+ BHP on tap with 40+ minimum mpg. But not too sure about the shape, looks nice with full m sport package however interior is still standard BMW bland / dull.

Like it? Hate it? Got a better suggestion?

You won't get 55mpg in one. I average 40mpg in my F30 330d.

Mid to low 30s is what people are getting.

Was jus reading through this thread. I ended up going for e92 335i with jb4 tune. Car is an absolute bullet, handling and drifting capabilities are fantastic. Good alternative to an M Car. The n54 335i is averaging around 18mpg in the city. This will increase to 25mpg on the long run. Yes you can hit 35mpg but don’t stop!

Having said that, I have had my eye on the 2013 650i. I believe this carries the same engine as the m6 including the turbos. Just not as juicy. Anyone got one of these?

I have personally never purchased a diesel outright. They have been leased or rented.
I have always purchased my petrol cars outright as I hate paying more for fuel monthly than my lease cost. Together it feels a bomb.

New diesels are very good but I’m still not convinced they are performing as good as petrol. The 435d x is pulling quicker than a 440i however I still prefer the latter.

But I would like some thoughts. And please share any cars you purchased since than?

One thing that you might want to think about is that in the media diesel is now the route of all evil and costs/taxes etc are about to be bumped up on diesel fuelled cars etc.

Most of the G30 5 series reviews say the 530d engine is better than that in the 440i.

Most of the G30 5 series reviews say the 530d engine is better than that in the 440i.

I can see why. The 530d g30 , is an absolutely amazing car. It was powerful and did most things well.

However.....there is NO MATCH between a 530d and a petrol 440i.

Of course what you need the car for will make a difference to your choice.

Put it this way, a 530d is great for a few days. Until you sit in your petrol equivalent. Having said that, if you driving within London, go for 520d as you won’t be going above 40mph.
My friends 520d did good fuel in 30miles of traffic (this is why most people choose diesel)

(Remember these are my opinions only - what I believe in - from my experience not any one else’s)

https://youtu.be/5JOu5G26RFg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I meant to put 540i and not 440i. I had an F10 530d and it's the best car I've owned, I still miss it.

How you guys finding the New Type R?

I find the ep3 a bit slow as I am used to my 400bhp bmw, so been interested in the new R.

Turbo the ep3, it'll be quicker than the beemer

Haha don’t tempt me, ep3 handles better but I don’t think I could get that much power to match bmw from a 2.0. On a serious note I would prefer something newer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back