• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Current gen Suzuki Swift Sport

Yeah it's on my list if I stay in the current job. F10, new shape Mondeo, CC etc.

The DSG boxes (3 variants of them) are one of the best on the market. Until you get into super car technology (which majority use a double clutch system) there's not another manufacture producing such a good auto box.

Hasn't DSG been around a while though? Even then, there seem to have been a lot of problems with the 7sp dry clutch pack, and with mechatronic units lunching themselves (S4s seem to do this for a past-time). I'd agree it's still a great unit for transverse installations, but as soon as the box is hanging off the back it's definitely behind the ZF and Mercedes units.

Hasn't DSG been around a while though? Even then, there seem to have been a lot of problems with the 7sp dry clutch pack, and with mechatronic units lunching themselves (S4s seem to do this for a past-time). I'd agree it's still a great unit for transverse installations, but as soon as the box is hanging off the back it's definitely behind the ZF and Mercedes units.

The 6 Speed wet clutch was their first DSG released and yes it's been out for a long time (it was tested in a Mk4 Golf R32) now and it's probably the most reliable box.
The 7 speed dry clutch hasn't been around for that long and is the weakest one. It's designed for the 'low torque' output engines but it simply can't take abuse... well, if you abused a manual clutch the same way it would do the same. But people expect auto's in this part of the world to last forever.
Majority of the gearboxes in the Audi's (inline layout) aren't DSG and I've never been a fan. The CVT boxes they used were horrendous.
BMW and Mercedes have been using ZF boxes since the day of time. They've stuck with it and I wouldn't say it's the quickest but it's certainly one of the most reliable.

Mercedes make their own boxes, have done since the late 60s.

But people expect auto's in this part of the world to last forever.

That expectation may be partly because TC-driven units generally do, if you change the fluid every 50k or so. Whoever came up with that "sealed for life" crap needs their bits removing with a rusty spoon.

Last edited by a moderator:
No manufacture produces all their own gearboxes.
Mercedes have favoured Getrag gearboxes and have used them for a long time. Probably most known for the 'dogleg' gearbox in the 190E. Getrag produce the dual clutch transmissions for a lot of the AMG's and high end BMW's. I'd put Getrag as the most used gearbox manufacture in the German market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never said they did, but they certainly don't use ZF autoboxes. The 722.x gearboxes are in-house, they've got a massive transmission plant at Unterturkheim. IIRC the front-drive Merc DCT boxes are their own (which shows as they lag behind the competition a little). The AMG Speedshift (MCT) models are basically their 7G autobox with a mechanical clutch pack instead of the torque converter.

You are correct in that the few instances where they don't use their own, they favour Getrag - the transaxle in the SLS and AMG GT is theirs, as were the manual boxes from the older cars. Not sure who does the manuals for the A/B class.

Update: I'm STILL In the courtesy car. It's now week five I think. Skoda and my garage are still arguing over who pays for the new engine.
I've told my garage several times I'm not having it back and all I get atm is "let's wait till it's back" he's insisting it's a new bottom end not a new engine. I couldn't care if it's a new spark plug, I don't want it back.

Meanwhile, I reversed the 4000 miles brandnew Skoda rapid fastback courtesy car into the skip on my driveway. Broke the rear light and dented the boot. Ho hum, couldn't really care less. I've got the super extra insurance paid for by my garage, so don't cost me anything. Haven't told them yet, Ill probably say nothing and see if they say anything.

he's insisting it's a new bottom end not a new engine. I couldn't care if it's a new spark plug, I don't want it back.
You cannot buy just a 'bottom end' for this engine.
The repair options are new pistons if it hasn't damaged the bore, or a new base engine (head, block and internals) if it has damaged the bore.

Got this email today from my garage. I'm not sure how to go from here, I've told him several times have no intention of taking the car back. But how can I reply to this email letting him know that I'm not going to take it back. All advice and help welcome on how I handle this. Do I threaten with trading standard or is that a bit desperate?

Morning Jonathan

Hope you are well. I am still chasing Skoda for a decision on which one of us, i.e me or them, is going to pay for the engine repair on your Skoda. I have left a message today for Shane Fenwick who is dealing with this at bury Vindis Skoda to call me. The delay is all down to Skoda UK. I am not wanting to pay for the work to be done because what has been found in one of the oil chambers is a hole the size of a 50p peace. No metal fragments have been found anywhere in the sump, and we have concluded that this was a defect from birth, i.e on the casting of the engine. Skoda in Bury also agree. It may need for you as the customer to intervene, at this point I have given Shane until the end of this week to conclude this issue. I will let you know as soon as I hear from Skoda in Bury when we have a decision. It may take a call from you to Skoda Customer relations, please hold fire though at present, until i have heard back from Skoda today or tomorrow.

Thought I would just update you to let you know that i am fully on the case

Regards

Duncan

A hole in one of the oil chambers? This just sounds odd. I'd be asking for some photos of the damage. They should have some photographic evidence as Skoda dealership will require photos for their warranty claim.
Did you pay cash or finance for the car? If it's on finance, you can get the finance company involved, because technically it's their car. But if you own it outright, you're pretty fooked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've asked for photos but got no reply.
I bought the car out right, only drove it for two weeks and now haven't had it for over a month. I notified them it was fooked after just one weeks ownership, that must stand for something.
If goods are faulty you can return them for refund surly.

Cheers mwng, that's actually really useful. Going by that I Am intitled to my money back on two counts. It taking to long to fix and it having a 2nd fault, (it pulls massively to the left even though I paid to get the tracking looked at after my first week of ownership).

I think I'm going to visit him tomorrow after work and say I will not be taking the car back and if I have to I'll go to trading standard. The garage has a social media profile so I can mention the bad feedback I could leave on there amongst other things.
I've already given him a chance to get me another car and actually found one I'd be interested in that was cheaper than the one I bought and I said I didn't care if he got it cheaper still for me I'd still just straight swap. I think that was me being very fair.

The phrase you are looking for is "Goods not fit for purpose. Refund please."

Asking you to argue the toss with Skoda on their behalf is taking the ****.

Went and saw him today, he was really good and totally got where I'm coming from saying I don't wish to get involved myself with Skoda.

He was going on about how Skoda were saying the hole on the block couldn't be determined if it's a casting, machining or blown in the block and then trying to explain to me what oil chambers on engines are etc. His face was a picture when I told him I machine engines from casting to completion for a living and that any self respecting engineer should be able to say if a hole is from a miss-cast.
He then went onto ask if I'd be interested in speaking to Skoda as with my knowledge they couldn't fob us off.
I said I really wasn't interested in getting involved which he was fine with and he's going to get an independent engine expert in to access the situation. Meanwhile Skoda and himself are still arguing over the £4500 for a new engine.

The good news is we've agreed that it's no longer my car and that he's going to find me another car of my choosing. In the meantime Ill keep driving the courtesy car.

I went and looked at a Mitsubishi lancer ralliart. Awesome car, great fun to drive, but expensive up keep.
I also looked at a Suzuki swift sport. Was quite a blast to drive especially on country roads. And as the car needn't be our family car I think it might be the swift, Just need to find a rearer 5 door version.

Got a call from Skoda yesterday saying they need the Rapid back as someone was interested in buying it. Which I know must be a lie. As I've had it for 6 weeks they have no way of knowing it's mileage, so how can they sell it without knowing that. I think they were just aware it was a brand new car going up in mileage. I picked it up with 1600 (I think) and dropped it off at 4986 miles, and a dent in the boot. Also told them about the window washer motor not working, the DTRL do their own thing depending on how you turn the steering, the sat nav screen flashes occasionally, and the panoramic roof screen doesn't shut fully. All pretty poor for a new top of the range car.

Now they've given me this. Which I nearly rolled on the first round-a-bout I came to. Not to self, it rides high.
Still no word on the VRS, but I'm not really to bothered as long as I have a car to get about in.

Realised I never updated this thread.

Well I have a new car to replace the god awful Skoda. The garage was good to his word and did a straight swap for any car I wanted in the correct price range. So after doing some research for cars that are small, four door and a hoot to drive on b and c roads and everything was pointing to the swift Sport, not a car I was familiar with, but having taken one for a drive, I loved it. Sticks to the corners like a go kart, although you have to work it hard it's just so much fun.
One motoring magazine hit the nail on the head saying its a modern day works mini Cooper.
The problem was they didn't make many in four door, but we found one and I've had it for a month now and each time I get in it, it puts a massive smile on my face. It a great little car.
I debadged it today and gave it a polish, but it could do with some colour restore as one side of the car has flater paint than the other. I guess it's from how it was parked with the previous owner in the sun. Something the black ones can suffer from. Other than that it's spot on.

Back