• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Water/choking mystery

Hi all - have looked and can't find anything on this specifically plus I know you love a mystery.

I have an 05 EP3 facelift type r which runs like a dream EXCEPT: when driving through shallow standing water at speed e.g. On motorway during recent heavy rain (not flying into puddles
like a nutter) the engine note changes to a much more throaty sound and there is a vibration through the accelerator pedal. I can only describe it as sounding like the exhaust has a big blow in it or even has dicconnected. It sounds and feels as if the car is choking. It eventually just clears up and goes away after about 10 seconds or so.

A few notes:
K100 chip and stainless steel exhaust fitted
standard air box with no low mounted intake (i.e. Not likely to be water splashing in)
the engine has never cut out during this 'choking'
no obvious loss of power if any we are talking like 10% throttle response drop max
no issues when driving slowly (10mph) through deeper puddles of a few inches
have had Kwik Fit check over the exhaust on a ramp and they say no issues

any help would be appreciated folks

cheers

Nothing to worry about mate it just water going on to your exhaust system it's just evaporating and it makes that sound

If the stainless exhaust is bigger in diameter, it'll sit closer to the floor. When water hits the hot exhaust pipe, it'll distort in shape and hit the underside of the car giving you that noise and vibration.
Some exhausts do it and others don't. My previous Piper system done it but by current 3 inch system doesn't.... but the 3 inch system increases in length by around 2 inches when driving hard. Just to show how temperature can change the shape of the exhaust.
Either way, nothing to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back