• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Ep3 type r engine mounts

Hi guys and girls, newbie here. I can't see any thread covering this so thought I'd start one. I've got a clonking noise when pulling away and I suspect it's an engine mount. I've already changed the side mount (next to washer bottle) which has a made big difference as the car was really jerky on and off throttle but there's still the clonking noise. I also recently changed both the lower ball joints and drop links so I know the front suspension is nice and tight. My question is does anyone know how many engine and gearbox mounts there are and where they are? Any info greatly appreciatedo, cheers Karl

There's four; right, front, back and gearbox (left). Left and right are fairly obvious, front and back are under the manifolds and accessed from underneath. They're not cheap, fitting is awkward.

A cheap stopgap fix is to use mount inserts, Energy Suspension do front and rear, Powerflex do the gearbox. Some people complain about the extra vibration from the inserts, I loved them.

Hi Jimbo, I knew it was either 4 or 5 but wasn't sure. I'll probably go the difficult route and fit the genuine oem mounts as I'd like to keep it honda. The inserts are a tempting option though if I'm honest. Thanks for the info, at least I know where to start now. Cheers

I changed my engine mounts and fitted the inserts so they will be good for the life of the car now, expensive, but worth it in my opinion you do get more vibration but it isn't that bad, I find it liveable.

Also worth checking your top mounts, I had a clunking noise changed drop links, ball joints etc and it turned out to be them so may be worth a look.

Yes, i think it would be a good idea to fit inserts to the front and rear mounts as their the most difficult to change and don't seem to be that strong. As I say I've changed the drivers side top mount which made the car less jerky on and off throttle but still have the clonking sound. The gearbox mount looks easy enough to do myself but I think I'll let the garage do the other two and get them to fit the inserts at the same time.

Cheers Shoonk

The car's approaching 110,000 miles and their bound to be the original mounts from new so their probably all knackered. I've been underneath the car and seen a split in the front mount so I think it's fair to assume the others are kaput too.

Once one engine Mount goes it'll add extra stresses onto the existing mounts also.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

As a slightly contrary voice, I'd fitted Innovative mounts (60A hardness) to my last EP3 and found the vibration too much. It wasn't the vibration itself that was the problem but reverb/resonance at particular rev-ranges (generally the ones that you'd be in when around town). If you do replace the mounts with something firmer or non-OEM, you may have to hunt down some hard-to-reach places around the cabin to re-secure or pad or glue (or, you may get lucky... I won't be doing the same again though).

My issues were just above and to the right of my head in the roof liner at about 2400rpm, something inside the driver's side door at 1900 and something just to the right of the stereo back inside the dash at 2800... Thankfully nothing at motorway speeds otherwise I would have gone utterly mental.

The inserts are easy to fit they just pop into the existing mount with a bit of grease and some persuasion, the hardest part is getting the mounts out and back in.

I think the Innovative mounts would be slightly worse than the inserts as the inserts are used with OEM mounts whereas the Innovative replace the whole unit.

A lot of people I've spoken to find the Innovative mounts too harsh and are better for track use. Not many people find the inserts an issue. There is a little vibration through the cabin and I suppose it eventually shakes things loose lol but I find it easy to live with as a daily with them in.

Yeah, it was mostly the things shaken loose or vibrating against one-another that was the problem. It was a 14 year old car. I guess if they were going on something newer it would have been less of a problem (at least for a while). The vibration increase from mounts is fine, it's the follow-on effects that are annoying.

Not being able to read a number plate in your rear mirror took some getting used to too :)

Ha ha, yeah I can no longer read number plates in my rear view mirror and I get some rattles I did put the inserts into new OEM mounts but I can live with this.

I changed all my engine mounts and both lower ball joints over christmas, no more knocking or clonking noises! Now to tackle the throttle position sensor which is driving me nuts.

I changed all my engine mounts and both lower ball joints over christmas, no more knocking or clonking noises! Now to tackle the throttle position sensor which is driving me nuts.

Did you replace all with OEM without the addition of any inserts mate? If so how does it feel now, pretty tight and quiet inside?

Btw, where about in Surrey are you from?

All OEM mounts without the inserts yeah, didn't fancy any excess vibrations in the cabin. Made a massive difference as three of the mounts were quite badly worn, feels great now. I live in Carshalton, a few miles outside of Croydon. You ?

All OEM mounts without the inserts yeah, didn't fancy any excess vibrations in the cabin. Made a massive difference as three of the mounts were quite badly worn, feels great now. I live in Carshalton, a few miles outside of Croydon. You ?

Ah I see, I will probably be doing the same, will confirm their condition this weekend (assuming the snow ever stops!). I'm from Farnborough/Camberley area. Or if that doesn't ring a bell, Guildford is 15 mins away if that. But yea Croydon is just under 1 hour from me so not too bad!

No, you're not too far away. Are you planning on changing the mounts yourself ? Their not too difficult if you are but a fiddly job, especially the gearbox mount. The subframe needs to be dropped a bit to get the front and rear ones out. So have you got knocking noises or just looking to stiffen it up with fresh mounts ?

No, you're not too far away. Are you planning on changing the mounts yourself ? Their not too difficult if you are but a fiddly job, especially the gearbox mount. The subframe needs to be dropped a bit to get the front and rear ones out. So have you got knocking noises or just looking to stiffen it up with fresh mounts ?

I haven't even picked the car up yet ;d haha. I am just going off preventative maintenance here, it is 100k miles and had a lot of important bits done but things like engine mounts, clutch and timing chain have not (although have been checked my a motorsport garage the guy uses to service it and given the thumbs up). But I like to be on the safe side seeing as it's going to be my daily and all.

I don't really care about power with the EP3, I just want it as tight and nimble as possible while still being reasonable to drive every day. It has a full Toda Titanium exhaust and Tegiwa Carbon intake but really you need a remap to make the gains show, and god knows how much that'll be but I imagine north of £500?

I see, well my car has done 115k and the mounts were quite badly worn. Yeah, a remap is around the £750-800 mark I think. It's something I may get done some time this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back