• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Increased fuel consumption compared to earlier EP3

I normally get 32mpg fairly consistently. However in January when the temperature fell suddenly it dropped to 26. Exactly the same thing happened last year. So maybe the air temperature is having an effect? The only think I can think in my situation is I do a 10 mile trip to work every day and the car is running on choke most of the way, also I would guess I have the engine running for 5mins while I de ice the windows. Not sure if this could cause a 20% drop in fuel consumption though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the engine running for 5mins while I de ice the windows. Not sure if this could cause a 20% drop in fuel consumption though.

It most likely would, I drop at least 5mpg in my Focus if it's icy.

I get around 250 if I'm careful. Short journeys with vtec involved ends up being alot less.... Only time I have got more than 300 was motorway driving

Are you driving round town mainly. As I stop start in traffic and be on 30 and 40 roads mainly and local and I average 26mpg is this right highest I got on motorway once from full was 330 with a bit of local driving.

Are you driving round town mainly.

Mixed driving, maybe 1/3 town, 2/3 motorway or b-roads. Same as I used to drive in the 52 plate.

If it's the car then the tolerances in manufacture (or the failure modes of some parts) are way off. I'll have to try with new tyres and the replaced rear calipers, see if it makes a difference. I have a large list of things still left to do though.

How long have you had the car? Fuel consumption is always higher in winter as the car takes longer to come up to temp.

How long have you had the car? Fuel consumption is always higher in winter as the car takes longer to come up to temp.

Since Dec last year, so, granted, only during winter. I don't recall the previous one ever being anything other than ~300 or more per tank though.

Also what's the geometry like?

Not tested yet, as it was when I bought it (I know, that's not saying much, sorry)

Maybe a new set of tyres and some adjustments would make a difference, guess I'll have to add that to my list.

Definitely, I gained 5 mpg in my Focus after I had the Toe sorted out. It was pulling a bit beforehand though.

Before you go too mad, I'd wait until the weather warms up a bit. I do small journeys and my mpg varies massively over summer and winter. Winter is nice with all the dense air and due to that, more power. But the down side is it also uses more fuel! I'm getting 23mpg to a tank currently... Mapping being done next week so hoping it will improve some what!

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Wise words, thanks Norv. I've gotta replace the rear calipers and the tyres are definitely on my list, I doubt I'll be going too crazy any time soon though.

Back