• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 Help with FK2 tyres

Hey guys, I understand tyre questions are frequently asked on here however I'm a complete noob when it comes to tyres, the influx of different answers/ questions etc is too much for my brain to process haha! I would really appreciate if someone could answer some simple questions.

Soon my continentals will need to be changed. As many other FK2 owners I've had problems kerbing my alloys. As the continentals are effectively stretched over the alloys, will upgrading to a wider tyre (245) decrease the chances of kerbing my alloys even more and add some protection?

Also is upgrading to a larger tyres as simple as putting it on? It'll not change toe/ camber etc?

I've already decided I'm going to run the Michelin pilot tyres in whichever size, as they seem to get much praise.

Sorry for the stupid questions but would appreciate answers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got no issues editing the first post when we have established answers for the most frequently asked questions.

Cheers guys!

Here's my opinion on the 245 tyre choice... If you're doing it for looks then fine go for it. If you're doing it to reduce the chances of kerbing your wheels don't bother. At the end of the day the tyre is flexible and your wheel isn't if you graze a kerb the tyre will flex away and the wheel won't.

Changing the tyre should be fine alignment wise but if you can get it checked it's always worth doing.

Michelin Pilot sport 4s are what I would go for in your position but I have Pilot sport 3s at the moment because I got a good deal on them. Both are great (I had Pilot super sport which are basically pilot sport 4s before my current set) but the sport 3s just don't feel quite as good.

EVERYTHING FK2 WHEEL RELATED THAT I HAVE GLEANED FROM THE FORUM.

Thanks for the following goes mostly to forum users - Loxy - Darc174 and Chris.

The FK2 OEM wheel size is 19 x 8.5J. ET60.
The FK2 OEM tyre size is = 235/35 ZR19

Recomended tyre pressures are:
32psi front.
30psi rear.

FORUM USER TYRE RECOMMENATIONS:
OEM tyres = Continental SC6 235/35 ZR19 Y88
Very good = Michelin Pilot Super Sport 4
Very very good = Michelin Pilot Super Sport 4 S

Note: 245/35 R19 tyres also fit. To remove the OEM ‘stretched look’.

9TH GEN CIVIC TYRE DEFLATION WARNING SYSTEM:
This cannot be switched off
There are no sensors in the valves or wheels.
The monitoring is from changes in the rotational rates monitored from the ABS sensors in the hubs.

How to reset it here:
[video=youtube;a33bYrOKdYI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a33bYrOKdYI[/video]

ALLOY WHEEL DAMAGE:
For Minor kerbing:
Halfords gloss black touch up pen is an exact match.
Either paint straight over or flatten it down with some wet and dry first.
http://www.halfords.com/motoring/pa.../halfords-chip-scratch-repair-pen-gloss-black

PUNCTURES:
Correct tyre maintenance helps greatly to avoid blow outs.
Always make sure the pressures are correct and inspect them regularly.

The FK2 comes with a bottle of tyre sealant and a pump tucked in the cubby holes in the boot.

The tyre sealant is only designed to get you to a garage if you have a small puncture. Always have adequate breakdown cover. Owners with 555 have breakdown service.

I (or anybody else) feel free to add and/or edit this info as required. Lets keep it factual though. If i have got anything incorrect please let me know. Thanks, Mark.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a set on my Evo and my advise would be to avoid. They have good grip however they don't feel particularly brilliant, they are jelly like. I'd go with PS4, MPSS or PS4S personally.

Does anyone have any experience with the Goodyear eagle asymmetric 3's? How do these tyres perform?

I have two Goodyear's on the back currently and two sat in the garage waiting to replace the front Conti's when they wear down enough. I had AS2's on my FN2 and loved them, lasted well and provided excellent grip in the dry and the wet.

Completely arbitrary, but....

To put the Michelin 4 Pilot Sport 4S into perspective....

The new Ferrari 6.5 Litre V12 812 Superfast shown at Geneva Motorshow is siting on Sport 4S tyres.
It produces 789bhp and does 0-62mph in 2.9 seconds.

Perfectly suitable for a FK2 i think.

Did nobody opt for the Tyre insurance the dealers offer?

Nope, what's the point. It covers virtually nothing but vandalism and your regular car insurance, if decent cover, should cover that. It's doubling up imo.

Did anyone take out alloy wheel insurance via Honda?
Let me rephrase, did any Honda dealers allow you to take out wheel insurance?
My Honda said no F img way! They used to offer it but were loosing to much money. Each time a claim was made it was easier to replace the wheel than fix it, at Hondas cost.
I had to sign a waiver saying I wouldn't or couldn't claim.
Not that I've ever curved an alloy. Ever.
Until an hour after picking up my Type R :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

This will get you rubber tarts excited. COLOURS :D/ :tumble:

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-10%20at%2014.37.42_zpselu9mixs.png

TYRE RATINGS.

We probably all know by now how good MPS4s tyres are. They are also expensive.

For comparison Eagle F1 A3's are 'rated' exactly the same but are £39 cheaper a corner.

My question is how trust worthy are these tyre rating?
Should the shown rating be taken as a 'rough guide'?
To a normal driver, is there a real world noticeable difference????

Should i listen to the tyre junkies and go for the best-of-the-best or settle for second best, a £78 saving, and know i'll be back in 4 months for more front rubber anyway.

Tyres_zps1nqhlbow.jpg

They are mostly EU bollox. F1A3 isn't a bad tyre for a barge, but it won't be anywhere near as focussed as the MP4S will be.

I've got no intention of taking my car to the track for at least another year so would the Eagle F1s be a better and cheaper option than the Pilots?

I've got no intention of taking my car to the track for at least another year so would the Eagle F1s be a better and cheaper option than the Pilots?

Not regular PS4's they won't, I find them overrated. They are more suited to German barges rather than hot hatchbacks.

Back