• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 Help with FK2 tyres

Pondering removing my PS4S to go with the Cup 2's as we now have a second car so the FK2 will become a weekend/ odd trackday car. Anybody interested in a part worn set around 6-7mm.

yes. I run 255's on mine without issue. it's the size that should have been fitted from factory. stupid honda...

When I bought my fk2 it had on the standard size tyres for the car with Avon ZZ5 tyres on with rim guard which is built in to the tyre and all round the circmference. The tyres are rated quite good and for me work well but I don't drive my car to the limit. The rim guard stands out from the rim quite a bit so should protect the rim. I don't know about a lot of fk2 owners on here but I find when I park my car next to the kerb it's always further away than what I think it is, so it helps to stop from kerbing the rim.I also find with the 9th gen honda civic all variants when you park up, the rear of the car always is slightly closer to the kerb than the front, it's like an inbuilt feature of the 9th gen Civic.
Regards Fred.

Last edited by a moderator:
All,

This is a fantastic sticky! So much information and very informative.

I need to replace my continental sport contact 6 tyres as they are near legal limit and in this cold weather losing grip!

My back end swung round a bit going round a round about at slow speed just after leaving the house! **** me up a bit!

After all the comments I'm going for the Michelin pilot sport 4s tyres.

Can someone tell me if these are all year round tyres for public road use? I assume they are..

I use the car as my sole form of transportation.

Also if I go for the 4 and not 4s is there really that much difference? My driving style is passive and don't drive like I'm on a track.

Cheers!

had my RT2's replaced by PS4S's yesterday, seem to be very similar so far, although i haven't pushed 'em properly hard yet. ride well over rough ground etc, stiffness not much difference, and inflated sidewall stiffness seems similar with the new PS4S's being very slightly softer probably due to newness.
see what they like on track next week and decide what to do with the rear pair; ps4s's, cup2 or goodyears cup2 equivalents (f1 supersports or something?)

last pair of RT2's are going. Tore 'em up on track and now cords are showing. on with cup2's as replacement!
ps4s's i had replaced the other week will go on the rear and cup2s up front. based on what I've seen with trackday heat wear, could be a good combo.

just ordered 2 front 255-35-19 Michelin ps4s hope to get them in Friday and already paid for them and to have fitted £348 hope ive made the right choice !!!!

last pair of RT2's are going. Tore 'em up on track and now cords are showing. on with cup2's as replacement!
ps4s's i had replaced the other week will go on the rear and cup2s up front. based on what I've seen with trackday heat wear, could be a good combo.

You're going to end up with more grip when hot at the front compared to the rear, not a great idea.

rather over than understeer :)
tyres are in testing - see what works when pottering about on the road throughout the year. cup2's treadwear of 180 could make it difficult to justify their cost over the ps4s (300 wear?) if the wearrate is even a slight indication of lifespan. ideally want a minimum of 12months/10k of life from any tyre i use and that includes trackdays. RT2's proven that is easily possible on the fk2.

fwiw i've always found the FK2 to be more oversteery than under on track which is quite possibly down to trailing the brakes and a bad habit of lifting off to induce turn in. any oversteer is either power or speed related.

Ive had some interesting handling issues on my fk2 since its last service. Car was in for valve clearences and i had new rear brake pads and a new pair of michelin ps4s on the rear while it was in. Fronts are michelin ps4s with 3-4mm left on them. The car feels dreadful (tyre pressures are all correct) its suffering from lots of torque steer ( ive had the car from new (march 17) and have done 19k miles and torque steer is all but non exsistent normally) but since going for new tyres on the rear (as michelin recommend) the cars is utter dog turd :( front end just feels twitchy and unstable. Ive found the car previously just gripped and gripped, was truly epic, tonight on a 40 mile drive on dry roads it was shocking at times. Just booked it in for a brand new pair of ps4s on the front too as im sure its down to the tyres. Anyone ever had a similar issue?

is it worth swapping the rears to the front and having the part worn at the rear????. makes sense to have the new tyres at the front as this is where the power is directed

is it worth swapping the rears to the front and having the part worn at the rear????. makes sense to have the new tyres at the front as this is where the power is directed

New tyres should be on the rear as understeer is easier to control than oversteer.

its front wheel drive though. I live and learn you would have to be driving bloody hard on the road to lose the back end

its front wheel drive though. I live and learn you would have to be driving bloody hard on the road to lose the back end

Agreed, ive always put new tyres on the front of a hot hatch. Took michelins advice this time round and stuck them on the rear. Car was instantly rubbish. Totally ruined the handling when your pressing on. New ps4s going on the front sat morning. So will effectively have brand new matching rubber all round. I think the key to getting the best out of the tyres on fk2 will be rotating backs to front after say 6k miles. Then changing all 4 when the fronts are done. I wont ever be putting new tyres on the back of my fk2 (yes i know this is wrong) but after living with it like this for a month, id never do it again. Ive been having to live with torque steer, understeer and a lack of front end grip under hard braking which is not what the type r is about.

Perhaps the ps4s on the front have got too hot too often and are well past their best despite them still having 3-4 mm?

Back