• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 Help with FK2 tyres

Agreed, ive always put new tyres on the front of a hot hatch. Took michelins advice this time round and stuck them on the rear. Car was instantly rubbish. Totally ruined the handling when your pressing on. New ps4s going on the front sat morning. So will effectively have brand new matching rubber all round. I think the key to getting the best out of the tyres on fk2 will be rotating backs to front after say 6k miles. Then changing all 4 when the fronts are done. I wont ever be putting new tyres on the back of my fk2 (yes i know this is wrong) but after living with it like this for a month, id never do it again. Ive been having to live with torque steer, understeer and a lack of front end grip under hard braking which is not what the type r is about.

Perhaps the ps4s on the front have got too hot too often and are well past their best despite them still having 3-4 mm?

New ps4s fitted , car is back to normal. Im sure that new tyres on the rear is correct if you are going to take evasive action in poor weather conditions. But for the remaining 99% of the time new tyres on the front of the fk2 feels best.

New ps4s fitted , car is back to normal. Im sure that new tyres on the rear is correct if you are going to take evasive action in poor weather conditions. But for the remaining 99% of the time new tyres on the front of the fk2 feels best.

So a month in and 2k miles done with new ps4s on the front. I ill just echo what i said above. You'd be nuts to put the new rubber on the rear of an fk2. The car was awful boredering on dangerous when pushing on. Understeer, torque steer, poor braking performance, unpredictable handling all occured from fitting the new tyres to the rear.

Car now handles, stops and goes like it should. Lesson learnt.

There's a sticker that tells you the pressures,its at the bottom of the drivers door pillar you'll see it and it says up to 140mph front 33psi and rear 30psi above 140mph the pressures are higher Regards Fred.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a sticker that tells you the pressures,its at the bottom of the drivers door pillar you'll see it and it says up to 140mph front 33psi and rear 30psi above 140mph the pressures are higher Regards Fred.

Yes mate. I've either read it wrong or it's right, but the fronts it recommends around 40PSI which I thought was a bit high?

I'm sure that you must have read it wrong. Maybe you've read the recommended pressure for over 140mph
Mine definately says up to 140mph front 33psi and rears 30psi. 40 psi is way too high.But as I say i've not looked recently but the pressure are definately higher over 140mph.
I hope this sorts the problem out. Regards Fred.

Hi All,

I need to change my tyres in the new year. I hate the stretched look and hence was going to go for a larger tyre.
If I go for 245 or 255 will it have any negative impact of the cars handling?
Will 255/35/19 fit without rubbing?
Does anyone have any pictures of 245 or 255 tyres fitted just to get a feel of how it looks.
Thanks…..

The stretched look is the tyres themselves, the CS6 just look like that. Changing to PS4S or similar should make it look much better.

These are the Michelins,in standard size,on my car :D

Nice square shoulder,much better than the stretched look of the Continentals IMO :smt023

Regards,Mark.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do the Pilot Sport 4S perform compared to the contis? Is there an improvement in grip and comfort?

How do the Pilot Sport 4S perform compared to the contis? Is there an improvement in grip and comfort?

Having done 2 sets of contis and 2 sets of ps4s my thoughts are:
1. Contis have more outright grip and more bite on turn in. Also a bit better under hard braking. All of this is in the dry only.
2. Ps4s better in wet / cold.
3. Ps4s last approx twice as long
4.ps4s make the ride a little softer
5. Ps4s can make the rear move around more , assume this is down to softer side walls.

Money no object id take the contis. But the type r is my daily so 12k+ miles a year so with ps4s its a set once a year, with the contis its twice a year.

I'm thinking of giving the new goodyears a go next, the only issue I had in the past on previous cars is the grip falls off a cliff towards the end

Anybody know if going down to 19mm nuts will be a problem?
Think I would prefer the look of black wheel nuts but sticking with Honda will cost £200 for nuts and locking nuts. Less than half that if going down to 19mm nuts. I know I will need the washers from tegiwa to use aftermarket wheel nuts, but any other issus?

Back