• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 What's been going on here?

Hello,

Recently got myself a FN2. When I got it home and managed a better look around I noticed that just behind the air box a hole has been cut in the metal. (See pics)
Also that it looks like the battery had been relocated under the back seats.
Any of you guys know what mod may have been done? Some sort of air intake? But why the battery relocation?
Would this be the cause of the hot air coming through the vents into the cabin when stationary?
Cheers for any advice.
6ea9a2de081752e1d4b87a2a57071dc9.jpg
fd6dfc9f2b6ffe9fd2edf983f72c6b7f.jpg
f2ca10af51d82d8b0bdde646a16ef81a.jpg
fd1489cbd13e637f186ca4ffe067307e.jpg
f5e5b677f645cf13bfaba232816240a3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Non standard battery clamp, ECU cover missing, the terminals by the back seat need checking to see if they are still wired up as you don't want it shorting and blowing the main fuse.

I've not seen that cut before but it's a metal plate that runs the width behind the scuttle and under the window. Maybe they did try to botch some sort of EP3 style GruppeM ram air intake?

Batteries do get relocated for intakes down to the passenger wheel well, but only normally into the space left by the OEM airbox. If something was still there, then maybe the rear was the next place. Yeah you might be spot on with the intake idea.

That wouldn't help the blower temp as the inlet is up there.

Private sale or bought from a dealer?

Thanks for the reply Loxy

I bought it privately from a motor trader who didnt have a clue about the car.

I wanted a bit of a project, didnt ecpect to be cleaning up after last owner.

Would you recommend getting a ECU cover or is it not too much of an issue? I guess a few quid from a scrappy?

Im thinking the same thing, tried to bodge EP3 GRUPPE into somewhere it doesnt fit.

Will need to fill the hole with some mesh and comp resin.

ECU cover isn't a big deal. If you find one, great.

Not just a non-standard battery clamp, but the "wrong" battery too, the terminals should be further to the rear of the car in a reversed layout. The way that one is leaves the positive terminal _very_ close to the bonnet if you're unlucky or careless. Also sits perilously close to the bonnet support when it's lowered and clipped in place. Given a negative ground on the Honda, and the strut being the positive terminal, this could be exciting.

See below for the correct terminal positions:
modp_1103_03_o%2B2010_honda_civic_type-r_euro%2Bengine.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the advice. I have just ordered a new battery tray, cover and clamp for £20 from a scrap yard. Hopefully get it sorted next week when it arrives.

Not just a non-standard battery clamp, but the "wrong" battery too, the terminals should be further to the rear of the car in a reversed layout. The way that one is leaves the positive terminal _very_ close to the bonnet if you're unlucky or careless. Also sits perilously close to the bonnet support when it's lowered and clipped in place. Given a negative ground on the Honda, and the strut being the positive terminal, this could be exciting.

See below for the correct terminal positions:
modp_1103_03_o%2B2010_honda_civic_type-r_euro%2Bengine.jpg

So I have fitted the 'correct' battery and got a battery tray and bracket. But it seems the terminals on this YBX3053 SIZE 053 Yuasa battery are too small for the terminals. Any ideas what I can do to get them to fit? Is this the wrong battery? Can I get smaller clamps?
65440dd56b673213a6f0ca4b3154a0f4.jpg
3a16a452b1426c8211e42869e49115e9.jpg

Can't tell from the pics, but is it definitely the correct battery? The only thing I can think is someone has put bigger clamps from. I'm not sure you can get the +ve clamp from Honda without the rest of the wiring connected to it either. -ve is just a strap to the frame around the bay, so you can definitely get that.

From memory
Bosch S4021
Yuasa 053

The battery I have taken out is the Bosch S4023. The one I have just put in is the Yuasa 3053

So it looks like the previous owner changed the terminals that fit a wrong battery!

Is it possible to buy the correct terminals? Or make the current battery posts wider?

You can buy adaptor rings, but I wouldn't use them personally.

As above you can definitely get the -ve clamp as you buy the whole earth strap, +ve I'm not so sure of but an auto electrician should be able to sort it.

As loxy said it's probably best to get it sorted professionally, not sure what the previous owner has done it

Back