• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Engine clicking or tapping.. need opinions please ..!

Recently got my 2005 ep3 type r back from insurance repair after hitting a deer, drove home.. bout 10miles started to notice a tapping sound, checked oil.. was slightly under minimum so next day total engine oil change (castrol edge 5w30) and new hamp oil filter . But still has 'tapping' sound.. valve clearance maybe? Any help or advice would be great. Gonna add a small vid clip .. (engine started from cold. Oil level just under max)

https://youtu.be/p76eVwk5k3Q

Any codes?

Definitely coming from the head and not the iVTEC cover rattling, hard to tell location from a vid.

It's not clearances, that would be more regular than the random timing of the sound in the mid, but maybe a valve sticking. Chain is to the left as you look at the engine, could be chain slap.

Cam cover off and turn the engine using the crank bolt through the drivers side wheel arch and see what the head and cams are doing.

Yea definitely from the engine, had the cover off and was still making noise. Engine starts fine and runs fine apart from it hat noise which is why so confusing, hopefully it's nothing to serious.?? I'm gonna take it to my local garage this morning for them to take a look .

My EP3 has always made quite loud clicking/tapping noise, I've been told by Honda and TDI PLC that its only the injectors and they can get noisey on these but there is nothing to worry about.

It does bug and worry me though... :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Any news from the garage visit this morning Wooly?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Haven't taken it to garage as of yet, am awaiting a phone call from the insurance/garage that repaired it. Car had front end damage due to hitting a deer, car was fine till I gave to to garage..it came back low on oil (under min) and 'ticking' started as I drove home.. so need to get on their back in regards to repair as they should never have released car after repair so low a on oil .!!! Have a feeling someone may have ragged it road testing it ... not happy ..!

Ah, I'd read Loxy saying cam cover off and then you said what you did, I was like wtf. :lol:

Back