• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 General FK8 (10th Gen) CTR Release chat

I only ever tracked mine at Croft and had zero gearbox issues. Spent a fair bit of time watching the oil temp and cooked the front tyres though.

The FK2 at the time was always reading high oil and water temps, so I wouldn't have thought Honda would have intentionally transferred one heat source build up into a system already known to be running hot. Unless they thought it could handle it.

i was changing the gearbox oil on my fk2 yesterday and it came to mind why did they change the fk8 to a water-based cooler?
Honda wouldn't change for the sake of it after only 2 years, so has to be for cooling efficiency. 10-15mins on a test drive last night made the gearbox too hot to touch.
I was on track last month and was having shifting issues after 10-15mins on track. Once cooled down for the next session it was shifting fine again until heat builds up.
so, lets say thats true; FK2 has transmission heat issues. FK8 changes to water based oil cooler thus adding heat into the coolant loop. I'm wondering if the FK8 trackday heat issues are down to the transmission cooler adding enough heat into the cooling system it cant cope?

according to a FK8 FB group, Evasive are working on a transmission cooler so maybe there is something there...

that's probably the biggest difference between FK2 and FK8 engines. with all the cooling mods for fk8 - grills, rads, vents etc, i don't think its an airflow thing and more cooling capacity where even bigger rad can't cope.
thoughts?

You may well be right, but I think the location of the turbo has a lot to do with it, there is no space around it for air to circulate and thus cool, as such the heat just increases. The FK8 absorbs a lot of heat into the cabin akin to an Elise, I haven’t experienced that before in a FWD car, so ventilation into the engine bay is a definite issue in the FK8.

Does the intercooler block the rad in the FK2?

I only ever tracked mine at Croft and had zero gearbox issues. Spent a fair bit of time watching the oil temp and cooked the front tyres though.

The FK2 at the time was always reading high oil and water temps, so I wouldn't have thought Honda would have intentionally transferred one heat source build up into a system already known to be running hot. Unless they thought it could handle it.

interesting that i dont see any coolant issues.
i first started to see gearbox shift issues when i used cup2's. was more noticable with the AR1s the other month so appears to be tyre related. i assume it's because the tyres can handle more so the LSD is adding that bit more heat through corners to cause shift issues for me.
highest i've datalogged coolant is 112c.

You may well be right, but I think the location of the turbo has a lot to do with it, there is no space around it for air to circulate and thus cool, as such the heat just increases. The FK8 absorbs a lot of heat into the cabin akin to an Elise, I haven’t experienced that before in a FWD car, so ventilation into the engine bay is a definite issue in the FK8.

Does the intercooler block the rad in the FK2?

well the fk2 has turbo in same location and we dont see the issues the FK8 has. Looking at the engine bays, i'd say the FK8 would handle things better. Just seems a bit more open and not as confined as the FK2.
yes intercooler blocks the rad. i went for the TDI-North IC which is OEM-ish in size. also have a setrab 619 oil cooler (was 616 last trackday) thats in the top right side of grill. i typically run AC on track too so i'd say my setup should be worse than an OEM in terms of the air temp when it actually gets to the coolant rad.

the yanks (and i'm sure others) have spend a lot of time with turbo blankets, grills, rads, oil coolers, vented bonnets etc and they haven't yet found a solution. Even with an open grill and bigger rad there should've been an improvement but still reports with overheating. I dont beleive it's an airflow or radiant heat issue. IMO theres either excessive heat INTO the system (eg: gearbox water oil cooler), or theres a coolant flow issue specific to FK8.
i guess there could be some weird aero thing where the air stalls or does something weird at certain speeds but that seems unlikely. i've seen a number of people comment that the bonnet area should be air-out only (as confirmed by practically every bonnet mod or race car), and not air in so calls into question why Honda fitted a intake scoop. I'm sure honda have a reason, but it's not obvious. Its not like it has a TMIC that needs it. Infact it seems to cause issues by letting rain into one of the spark plug bores!

I have the carbon wing vents, not blocked like oem, and have removed a lot of the plastic trim around the engine bay in my FK2 which allows heat to vent from the engine bay nicely.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/yo...-mugen-bonnet-for-the-fk8-honda-civic-type-r/

Well would you look at these prices. Japan must have lots of well off individuals for mugen to sell parts at these prices. They must also be going blind as I think it looks absolutely hideous. I appreciate the civic is challenging for some standard, but this is another level of utter w@nk

https://www.tegiwaimports.com/select-car/honda/fk8/exterior.html?p=2

All available here for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bonnet and wing the same price as a 2 year old FK8, or 2/3rds of a new one.

That's just bonkers.

A bespoke, hand made CF bonnet wouldn't be £11k, surely? I just can't bend my head around that.

Good luck with the insurance on it too. "£22k aftermaket CF parts? Hahahahahaahahhhahahahahahahaahaha. Click."

So tallying up the Mugen parts listed on Tegiwa (so I am sure that there would be more to the range), you're looking at £29,370 without the Modulo wheels. Add them at £10,800 a set without tyres and I'm sure that there will be a very limited number of insurance options available to you! :lol:

I'm all for JDM, but even my eyes squint at £40k in what is essentially predominantly aesthetic improvements for the average Joe...

That is just crazy pricing.
I've only ever been on track once while I had the FK8 briefly and nothing overheated but tbh I was not pushing as it was a wet day and first time out in the car so was taking it rather easy.
Overheating seems to be an issue in USA more than UK so maybe it's related to them having hotter air temp and longer straights so there is more heat build up maybe ? I'm guessing this end , as you can prob tell :)

i was changing the gearbox oil on my fk2 yesterday and it came to mind why did they change the fk8 to a water-based cooler?
Honda wouldn't change for the sake of it after only 2 years, so has to be for cooling efficiency. 10-15mins on a test drive last night made the gearbox too hot to touch.

Interesting; Is there no transmission cooler at all on the FK2?

The FK8 Circuit does seem rather "heavy", Especially given the reduction in overall capacity (-2L) compared to the FK2:- Whilst it's not actively "in" the radiator, surely the extra coolant would provide a handy thermal reservoir for slower sections that can be removed on the straights.

LeGA959.png

May have asked this elsewhere, but do you know if the FK2 has the standard oil cooler? (Doesn't do much according to the americans, but surely better than a kick in the teeth).

To add to the postulations, I wonder if the differing tune on the FK8 has some effect? - Increased EGTs for example could substantially increase the cooling load, given the headifold.

As for the bonnet scoop, I'm with you on "not quite sure" - The biggest effect I could see with the ducting that is present underbonnet is to create a venturi suction effect to expedite the evacuation of air via the wing vents.

As a further aside, whilst I know it's an issue on standard cars, I don't think some people (Looking at americans here!) help themselves when they go for power to the moon and are suprised when it is overheating in 30c+ ambient temperatures, cooling mods or no!

fk8 has -2litre coolant from fk2!? that'll certainly not help. i wonder where they saved that quantity. fk2 spec says 6.6litre for coolant change. 4.6l on fk8 (https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/what-the-coolant-capacity-of-the-fk8.29871/post-500483)
thats like 30% reduction!!

while we do have an mtf cooler, it's a regular air-cooled radiator and not part of the coolant system.

i'm not sure about engine oil cooler on bottom of the 'water passage'. it doesnt ring a bell but cant say i've looked specifically. i am due to replace the bottom tray bolts in the next week or 2 (screwdriver rounded off, so going m6 flanged bolts) so i'll take a look.

All, stupid question time: if my final payment to Honda is due on the 4th October, that being the 37th and final payment, but with my 3 year agreement by calendar terms ending on the 4th September, you'd still expect the warranty to be until the 4th October right?

Cheers

As above - warranty starts from date of registration. Many take out a 4 year PCP on BMWs to reduce the monthlies and don't realise they are responsible in year 4 unless they buy an extended warranty.

Back