• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 General FK8 (10th Gen) CTR Release chat

Completely agree....in fact I would be happy with the same performance or even slightly less to get the vastly increased lifespan.
We don't all drive our cars like we are always on a race track. :lol:

There's more to a tyre than outright performance in the wet/dry and wear. There's the way the tyre makes the car feel (it makes a huge difference to feel in corners, steering feedback, braking feedback etc), fuel economy, tyre noise and so on.

Performance wise, sure, we're not on a racetrack but if something throws the rear end out mid corner or on a roundabout, you want the grippiest tyre possible to aid the traction control (and the driver) to regain control of the car safely. The same goes for braking and a whole host of everyday on road situations.

This is why I don't understand people in general when they put on Linglongs and other rubbish brands to save some money. People who drive about with their kids in the car. I genuinely wonder sometimes how many rear end shunts, loss of control on motorway, loss of control on a bend incidents would be avoided if someone spent a little extra on decent rubber.

Disclaimer, yes, I put my S2000 in a bush on a cold February morning due to running out of talent and driving on AD08R's. :lol:

There's only so much you can affect tyre performance with tread pattern when it comes to straight up dry grip... It basically comes down to purely tyre compound. Softer tyre = more grip & higher wear rate. There's a certain amount you can play with in terms of tread depth but it's minimal.

So, by default, a sticky performance rubber will wear out faster than your boggo eco tyre. That'll be true for as long as the pope sh1ts in the woods.
Again I agree....but there are perfectly competent tyres available that give above average grip with good wear. You don't, and shouldn't fit basic tyres on a car like this, but at the same time you don't need to go to the extreme if you will not be needing the level of grip that these tyres offer.
This is my view and it will not change. Now I just need to see how long the standard fit tyres last with my driving style. :)

And I agree with that too. I was never a big user of AD08Rs for a daily, I preferred the F1 because of the better wear rate and wet grip. The AD08R would run rings around the F1 on track though. I'd try a few of the "1 level down" tyres and see which I preferred, none will last 8k so you'll know by next year which tyre you like. If it was a weekend car then I'd stay with the stickiest road legal rubber I can lay my grubby mitts on.

Put another set of PS4 on the front of my vRS and got 6k out of them. Power level is similar to they Type-R and always driven hard. I can live with that

My mind was made on the contis on a roundabout, it was February/march and I felt the car going on me, It was when I switched to the assy the fitter pointed out the state of them.
Cracking tyre in the summer but for me as a daily in the countryside they're not for me,
I certainly won't be going near budget tyres, if I'm honest tyres should never be budgets

When people say "assy", I'm not sure what that abbreviation means.
Is it Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3?
I had the Asymmetric 2 fitted to my 2014 Focus ST and found them to offer good grip and wear.

I was thinking of those pirellis next which have red side wall writing.....when in Rome and all that....

Pirelli don’t make them in narrow tyre widths the Type R needs. Also prices start at roughly £500 each.

25145423358_4d3222a73b_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
When people say "assy", I'm not sure what that abbreviation means.
Is it Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3?
I had the Asymmetric 2 fitted to my 2014 Focus ST and found them to offer good grip and wear.

Yes Assys are the Good Years.
2 were good but I also had the 3's and they were a marked improvement.

Oh I better add that GY don't appear to do the 3's in the CTR size at present, only the 2.

Always been a falken fan myself.

They do the fk8 size in their FK453 and better still FK510 range which is perfect. Around £500 for a set of 4 from mytyres

That's a significant increase adding 100PS to an Octavia vRS. :cool:

Shark Stage 2 running 282bhp, 430NM with better intercooler, downpipe, intake and filters. A K04 Turbo would see well over 350bhp safely if I wanted it but it's Type-R next for me as it's got even more potential.

Always been a falken fan myself.

They do the fk8 size in their FK453 and better still FK510 range which is perfect. Around £500 for a set of 4 from mytyres

The Falken FK510 dosen't receive anywhere near as good reviews as the (big 3) competitor brands. I realise this is a subjective statement.

The Falken FK510 dosen't receive anywhere near as good reviews as the (big 3) competitor brands. I realise this is a subjective statement.

The big 3 being?

and yeh, asking 'what's the best tyre' is a massive can of worms (application, profile, driving style, what car etc.. etc..); can only ever comment on what worked for me.

Dunlop, Bridgestone, verdstein (sp?)... there’s plenty of big boys in the tyre market.

Tbh I was torn between Goodyear and Pirelli earlier :lol:

:lol: we've gone from opinions on good/best rubber, to opinions on who are the biggest 3 in the tyre market :lol:

Btw fact-fans, the biggest tyre manufacturer is actually Lego. True story.

Back