• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 General FK8 (10th Gen) CTR Release chat

This popped up on fb yesterday.

09353ef7ed83efc01288602930e3a8ad.jpg

Doesn't it say somewhere to nurse / no spirited driving etc.. the car for the first 500 miles?
Just wondering if that could have anything to do with it?

Doesn't it say somewhere to nurse / no spirited driving etc.. the car for the first 500 miles?
Just wondering if that could have anything to do with it?

I think the fact that the gearboxes on the newer cars are made out of chocolate is the more pertinent point.

I think the fact that the gearboxes on the newer cars are made out of chocolate is the more pertinent point.

This is true of most modern kit, way back in 1999 I had synchro issues with my Ek9 and it isn’t just Honda though, I’m aware of a number of Merc AMG failures too.

I do find it strange that it only seems to be FK8's that have this problem and, as far as i'm aware not the FK2's and there reportedly the sames boxes.

Around 26k iirc, sold it in 2001, was modded and I tracked it a lot.

So definitely not 200 and not far out of the factory, that's what I'm getting at. Syncro's are weak on the older cars, there's no doubt about that. But the newer cars seem to really have issue. I remember Steve at Grinspeed having less than favorable things to say about the FK2 (or 8, I don't remember) gearbox when he took one apart.

So definitely not 200 and not far out of the factory, that's what I'm getting at. Syncro's are weak on the older cars, there's no doubt about that. But the newer cars seem to really have issue. I remember Steve at Grinspeed having less than favorable things to say about the FK2 (or 8, I don't remember) gearbox when he took one apart.

Clearly at that mileage it is manufacturing fault or serious misshift from owner, love to see it stripped down.

Modern boxes are not as slick as those in the DC2, EK9 or EP3 and I find you have to wait for it to warm up, hence I think more issues in the US, jump in the car and aggressively use the gears, not used to using manuals.

Clearly at that mileage it is manufacturing fault or serious misshift from owner, love to see it stripped down.

Modern boxes are not as slick as those in the DC2, EK9 or EP3 and I find you have to wait for it to warm up, hence I think more issues in the US, jump in the car and aggressively use the gears, not used to using manuals.

Agreed but modern boxes have to handle a lot more torque, fk2 and 8 was a significant jump from the ep3 and fn2, so maybe a factor...as they're...er...heavier

easier to take a photo with a dsg box :lol:

Assuming they are not going to a port due to where snapped so UK finally getting some..! EDIT: Amber side indicators maybe suggests not

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to say the same, as they have four number plate fixing points in a square shape rather than two for a rectangular UK plate.

This popped up on fb yesterday.

09353ef7ed83efc01288602930e3a8ad.jpg

That was me. I took it into Honda and they couldn't recreate it. I said that it was intermittent so appreciated they might not be able to on a single 10 mile drive. They said just to keep documenting and if I found a way to consistently recreate it that I should bring it back in. After doing some reading on various other forums I'm thinking it's an issue with the clutch not fully disengaging which causes the lockouts. I made 3 videos while sat on my driveway:

1. Cold engine, changing from neutral into 4th: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6yaKg6TWwI
2. Warm engine, changing from neutral into 4th: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8AWw-nUnLA
3. Cold engine, clutch held in continuously while changing between neutral and 4th: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7al845RPyys

It locked out around 10% of the time when cold and warm. I wasn't expecting it to lockout at all once the clutch was constantly held in but I managed to get a couple. I was all set to contact the dealership again and get one of their techs to do this but it seems to have started behaving itself since. I don't know whether doing the tests have loosened something up or if the drop in outside temperature (it was around 20 deg daily when I bought the car but since dropped to between 12 and 14 deg) is helping? Some people have claimed it is the dampener in the clutch master cylinder that is the issue and I saw one person saying a heat shield on the cylinder and change of transmission fluid solves it.

Back