• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 Advice needed choosing between FK2 and FK8 Type R

Hi everybody,

I need your help choosing between a FK2 and FK8 type R.
For the moment I drive a Bmw 420d but I want something more hardcore, a real enthusiast's car.

I found a 8k km FK2 GT package in good condition for 30k euros(was 35k new).
How I see the situation
FK2 pros:
- exterior design - striking, has presence, looks more like a racing car(BTCC), agressive, aerodynamic profile. It really love it
- interior looks very welcoming and driver oriented with these fluid lines and circular instruments in driver's console
FK2 cons:
- driver's seat is a bit high for my taste
- being an used car maybe was abused - should I worry? It is sold by a Honda dealership. Should I ask for a specific test?
- I heard steering feedback is not the best. This is an important point for me. Could anyone compare with Bmw steering/handling? or other cars.

FK8 pros:
- newer thus likely bit more agile/better handling; though I'm not expecting it to be massively faster than FK2. Not an expert but bumping the engine power might indicate that they needed to compensate something. If chassis/aero modifications alone were enough (to beat the Ring record) I guess they'd have left the engine unchanged.
FK8 cons:
- the exterior is ok does not look bad. I saw last wend a FK8 hatch in the dealership and it was rather unimpressive.
- the interior (I got inside) was like meh, uninspiring compared to FK2. Although the FK8 interior looks/feels more premium quality, the dash looks busy with too many edges and lines. As like somebody tried to fit it elements not getting well together. As I'll be spending my time inside, it's hard for me to get over it.
- the variable steering. I tested such option before purchasing my Bimmer. It was awfull, you never knew how much to rotate the steering. Eventually you get used to, but I prefer the fixed ratio.

If it's not significantly more performant than FK2 Type R I have a hard time getting over the plain "tells me nothing" interior / to a smaller extent the exterior(back tail lights and the 3 pipes).

What do you think? Is worth waiting and paying 5-6k euros more for a new FK8 Type? Should I go for FK2? I plan to keep either of them longer 5-10 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only you can answer this. Personally I reckon the FK2's have to be good value just now, and there aren't that many of them so they should hold their value into the future I would think.

2500 uk, a few written off sadly
Steering feedback on the fk2 is top notch, also the fk2 is a bit much just for daily driving, meaning you won't ever get near it's full potential without going on a track, the fk8 is meant to be more stiffer, lighter etc but if you can't get the fk2s full potential it makes you wonder why bother with the fk8, I honestly think there won't be much difference between the 2.

Me personally for the exclusive part it would be the Fk2, still a rarity on the rds & still turning heads

Wait. Test drive both back to back. If you choose an FK2, you may pick one up cheaper.

If the downfall is they're not a nice place to be, but you want a hardcore enthusiast car, you may be looking at the wrong cars.

Thanks for the answers
@RichE91 True, being more limited likely it will keep better the value over time.

@dweezle Legit argument as I won't be using it on the track to avoid wrecking it. Despite having Spa, Nurburgring, Hockeheim not far away(I live in Luxembourg) I never took my car there. I know my limits. Even if I'd go to the track I'd take a cheaper car and equip it with roll-cage/stuff just to have fun.
I'd like to use this car as wend/holidays car. For daily driving/groceries I'll keep the Bimmer.

@Bonito I should wait but I got this on my mind since 1 yr ago. I wanted to get it new, my other significant half kept dodging until it went out of prod. Now I'm not very impressed with the new type R and also I see good used FK2 samples(low mileage, dealership) getting scarcer. Plus nice weather is coming. So I thought to get to action.
Yeah I have other cars on my wishlist like Cayman 718 but to spend 64k on my config is a bit too much for the moment. Bmw M not due to poor reliability + they are bloated from all bells and whistles, not so pure sports cars. Focus RS is dull, forgettable, WRX STI old thirsty engine/lag, Golf R + Leon Cupra R bland boring cars.

If it's solely a weekend/holiday car, there's no reason not to come back a few years for something raw/pure. The idea of the FK2 and FK8 is to sit between performance and comfort. That was Honda's aim. "A racing car, for the road."

Have you looked at the GTI Club Sport S?

@Bonito
Yeah I was contemplating also something older(Skyline R33, R34), however I'm not skilled to work on the car, I have concerns about things going wrong. I still dream one day to be able to keep a vintage car by myself.
FK2 is hardcore enough for my driving skills and the way I use cars. I've never driven such powerful cars so far. I also appreciate the comfort it provides, it's just enough for me.
True, it's an interesting alternative. But I don't like VW styling, it looks too plain/boring. And here around Germany there are lots of Golfs wherever you go. Plus reliability issues that plague VWs. And some skeletons(found) in the closet. (I guess that all have those in their closets, just keep them better locked. ;))

How do you feel about a DC5? There's an extremely high specced turbo one coming up for sale soon.

How do you feel about a DC5? There's an extremely high specced turbo one coming up for sale soon.
17 year old design. Looks wise they hold up but it's like comparing apples and oranges.

Then you've got all the hassle of it being an import, and modified and the insurance companies that won't touch that and then there's the reliability, inevitable wear on an old car. The list can go on.

If any FK2 owner was being truly honest. Why wouldn't you choose the FK8 over an FK2. It's just going to be better. Plain and simple. Otherwise why would Honda build it...

Faster. More hardcore. More comfortable. Better sound. Better tech. New.

The only disadvantage I can see is the rarity value, the FK2 will be rarer.

Honestly, when the two cars end up side-by-side why would you choose the FK2 if you could afford either of them.

I want to believe the FK2 eventually will be seen as, or be reviewed as, the better car. As I own one. But I'm a realist. No matter what car you choose, there will always be something better or faster. Just choose which ever one gives you the biggest horn.

Downside of the FK2 that few seem to mention is that it's a short-run design. Parts are probably going to be harder to find (or more expensive) in time.

FK8 is a new platform, being a platform it _should_ have shared components with its siblings.

The FK2 is hardcore, if you're after that, great... if you're not then the 8's more comfortable for when you aren't feeling the need to test how well your cartilage is bound to your skeleton.

What kind of deal would you be getting on a warranty for the FK2? The 8, if new, should have good cover for a number of years and kilometres.

Failing that, spend less, get yourself something older for the track and learn a new skill, how to modify and work on a car. Keep the bimmer as your daily :)

17 year old design. Looks wise they hold up but it's like comparing apples and oranges.

Then you've got all the hassle of it being an import, and modified and the insurance companies that won't touch that and then there's the reliability, inevitable wear on an old car. The list can go on.

Nice car but the hassle is too much for my expertise. I prefer something reliable that I can just enjoy without big maintenance headaches.

@Loxy how do you compare the 330xd with the FK2 type R(handling, performance)? (ok 3 liters diesel 6 cyl is a beast so might get even here)

If any FK2 owner was being truly honest. Why wouldn't you choose the FK8 over an FK2. It's just going to be better. Plain and simple. Otherwise why would Honda build it...

Faster. More hardcore. More comfortable. Better sound. Better tech. New.

The only disadvantage I can see is the rarity value, the FK2 will be rarer.

Honestly, when the two cars end up side-by-side why would you choose the FK2 if you could afford either of them.

I want to believe the FK2 eventually will be seen as, or be reviewed as, the better car. As I own one. But I'm a realist. No matter what car you choose, there will always be something better or faster. Just choose which ever one gives you the biggest horn.

Not an expert but sometimes is just marketing. They have a new chassis coming out and they need to get a Type R. In WTCC, BTCC they still use the FK2 Type R chassis for 2017.
You're right the FK2 will be an evolution but:
- I like more the exterior of FK2 and especially the interior(dash much nicer for me). As sat in the FK8 hatch at the dealership and I wasn't impressed. Looks like a 90s VW. Does not look like a sport's car cockpit.
- good weather is coming and realistically I won't have FK8 Type R sooner than Autumn.
True, there are always better things.

FK8 Type R should be improved but :
- I don't like the interior (looks bit generic)
- exterior is not as striking to me as the FK2 Type R one
- variable steering ratio? this isn't a soccer mom's car
- seems to me that Honda plays the hard to get with this car; they supposedly launched it at Geneva and still no pricing information, no trace of it on dealership's systems. Just endless teasers, allusions... endless talks. Like this the year will be over with no car.

The FK2 I'm considering still has 2 years (out of 3) of standard warranty left.

What Loxy said is right. Apples and oranges indeed , I've had a few discussions with various people about comparing the N/A K20 with the turbo charged k20c1- they are different animals , I never thought I'd say it but after having various n/a Honda's over the years I am really enjoying this lazy power.

Also , if you think the fk2 is 'raw' on the roads ... it really isn't , have a drive in a stock fd2 if you want to feel what raw is.

Dotty is getting where I'm coming from. The FK2 and FK8 are not raw in comparison to their predecessor. What modern day cars are "raw"?

That's why I've suggested coming back a few years, especially if it's a weekend/holiday car.

Honda doesn't appeal inside, VW doesn't appeal outside.

I'm stumped to think of a modern hot hatch with a pedigree that is going to be raw.

@Loxy how do you compare the 330xd with the FK2 type R(handling, performance)? (ok 3 liters diesel 6 cyl is a beast so might get even here)

In a straight line the 330xd would be a few car lengths ahead of the FK2 to a little over legal speeds. It just launches so well. After that, the aero and power of the FK2 will show through.

Handling the FK2 wins hands down. If you man handle the 330xd you can get it's tail out, but it's a big car to correct if you overcook it, so it's done sparingly. The FK2 brakes are marginally better but stand up to prolonged use much better. So you would have much more fun in an FK2.

I made the change due to the amount of time I spend in stop/start traffic. My left leg thanks me for the ZF8.

Have you considered the RS3 or A45 AMG? 2nd hand models with slightly higher milage could be had.
You'll get the nice interior and the straight out speed.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

At this moment I would take the Fk2 over the Fk8, we've not had much regarding what's what yet so it would be guess work.
The Fk2 felt special since day one of promoting hence pre orders were snapped up, the Fk8 hasn't had that or even felt like that so is it going to be that special, if it was we would of had a new ring record from Honda by now not a "we'll ring it later on in spring"

I made the change due to the amount of time I spend in stop/start traffic. My left leg thanks me for the ZF8.

^^^ The voice of reason...

Day-to-day stop/start on the motorway i wonder if i made the correct car choice. The weekends the FK2 is hoot. But thats just 2 days of 7. The FK2 has a feel of a caged animal week days. It can do so much more and the poor cars depressed as some weeks it'll barely reach the speed limit. Like a big cat in a cage, it needs the open savannah to be happy.

Still love it, like a parent loves its ginger kid ;)

Back