• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 Advice needed choosing between FK2 and FK8 Type R

I'm all for exclusivity which I why I won't be considering the FK8. Now it's hit America and being mass produced worldwide, you're going to see the FK8 everywhere.

I hope the FK2 ends up being a bit of a unicorn, a bit like the Mitsubishi GTO etc. I can see the FK2 turning heads in 10-15 years time, with majority of people wondering what model of Type R it is, due to the simple fact it was in short term production and so few are on the roads.

Or maybe I'm just a fan boy? Fact is this was the guinea pig for all turbo'd Type Rs to follow, the original, raw and uncut monster the majority of people who actually drove one; fell in love with.

Last edited by a moderator:
At this moment I would take the Fk2 over the Fk8, we've not had much regarding what's what yet so it would be guess work.
The Fk2 felt special since day one of promoting hence pre orders were snapped up, the Fk8 hasn't had that or even felt like that so is it going to be that special, if it was we would of had a new ring record from Honda by now not a "we'll ring it later on in spring"
I see the point. I'd also take FK2 but having read about gearbox problems makes me really hesitate. Paying 30k euros and finding myself with a partially usable car that will stay in the repair shops. Given that those gearbox problems can not be reproduced each time makes a drive test potentially irrelevant. And the way Honda deals with these cases in most cases(head under the sand) does not help either.
Yeah and these talks, talks, teasers and "we'll ring it later on in spring" makes me think that there's not much surprise around the corner. Even more, I think that due to changing in generation they did not have the time/resources to do a proper new Type R model(engine, chassis...). This one looks to me like a FK8 beefed up with most parts from FK2 Type R.

^^^ The voice of reason...

Day-to-day stop/start on the motorway i wonder if i made the correct car choice. The weekends the FK2 is hoot. But thats just 2 days of 7. The FK2 has a feel of a caged animal week days. It can do so much more and the poor cars depressed as some weeks it'll barely reach the speed limit. Like a big cat in a cage, it needs the open savannah to be happy.

Still love it, like a parent loves its ginger kid ;)
Not using it daily this is like the kind of car I'm looking for - the caged animal :). I don't drive above speed limits but it's always nice when you blast to merge on highway/to overtake. Also when going to Autobahn is nice(not a fan of big speeds but sometimes I can try if road is free) feeling all that power.

I'm all for exclusivity which I why I won't be considering the FK8. Now it's hit America and being mass produced worldwide, you're going to see the FK8 everywhere.

I hope the FK2 ends up being a bit of a unicorn, a bit like the Mitsubishi GTO etc. I can see the FK2 turning heads in 10-15 years time, with majority of people wondering what model of Type R it is, due to the simple fact it was in short term production and so few are on the roads.

Or maybe I'm just a fan boy? Fact is this was the guinea pig for all turbo'd Type Rs to follow, the original, raw and uncut monster the majority of people who actually drove one; fell in love with.
I have the same feeling about FK2. FK8 looks it became softer (more driving modes, bigger, seats look like they got fatter/more padding, exhaust sound toned, variable steering :)). Like other brands to chase sales.

Dotty is getting where I'm coming from. The FK2 and FK8 are not raw in comparison to their predecessor. What modern day cars are "raw"?

That's why I've suggested coming back a few years, especially if it's a weekend/holiday car.

Honda doesn't appeal inside, VW doesn't appeal outside.

I'm stumped to think of a modern hot hatch with a pedigree that is going to be raw.
By raw I was referring at current produced cars. Yes compared to older ones they are not that raw as they got more compliant to target more customers.
There are great older cars. But I cannot afford currently the time(to get documented) and deal with potential problems of an older car. I get little time for my personal hobbies.

Have you considered the RS3 or A45 AMG? 2nd hand models with slightly higher milage could be had.
You'll get the nice interior and the straight out speed.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Audi, Merc, Bmw, VW are here like Fors, Vauxhall in UK. You see those everywhere on the continent. They managed to dilute the brands. They'll be the victims of their own success as others are coming strong from behind. For me these are only just commodities. The kind of white collar "sport" cars. Plus that at 1600+ kg they are bloated by endless useless features(for me). They chase volumes, try to please more and they become generic. I can't complain about my Bmw 4 series but driving dynamics/experience/engines are not that much above the competition as 80s 90s ones were. These cars have become more like status symbols.
Plus the fact that few brands manage to put out a powerful(300+) and reliable car. The kind of problems/the way they are dealt with in higher performance models makes me avoid them. See Bmw M that have been having engine failures with every M model. I don't care about 500+ hp if the car is so fragile and breaks so easily. I'm not changing the car when lease is over so I prefer something dependable.

I have the same feeling about FK2. FK8 looks it became softer (more driving modes, bigger, seats look like they got fatter/more padding, exhaust sound toned, variable steering :)). Like other brands to chase sales.

To be honest the 3 driving modes is something the FK2 could of done with, but at the same time would take away from the whole "race car for the road" ethos. I do like the look of the interior on the FK8 though, now I've seen it the FK2 interior doesn't look as good as i once thought it did.

Having driven both (FK2 owner) here a few facts between the two:

FK8:
Ride is softer due to softer springs and dampers.
Independent rear suspension gives much better ride quality for daily driving.
Engine is much more eager to rev with less turbo lag
Steering rack ratio is not linear
Used 10HP more and Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 Tyres to beat the FK2 ring time

FK2:
Ride is much harsher due to harder springs and dampers
Ride quality is harsher due to torsion beam suspension
Engine has more turbo lag
Steering feel is linear
Bigger boot
Fold up rear seats

Personal feelings:

FK8:
Higher quality interior
Doesn't feel any faster or more powerful

FK2:
More exciting to drive
I prefer the steering feel of the FK2

In summary the FK8 is the car you want if you have to put kids and a wife in the car with you and use it as a car, every single time this is the car to choose between the two. If you want a toy, a weekend B road basher, a track car.. The FK2 is the better choice. But these are just my opinions.

Close to being the most informative first post we have ever had IMHO, thanks.

Hello and welcome by the way. :smt006

Having driven both (FK2 owner) here a few facts between the two:

FK8:
Ride is softer due to softer springs and dampers.
Independent rear suspension gives much better ride quality for daily driving.
Engine is much more eager to rev with less turbo lag
Steering rack ratio is not linear
Used 10HP more and Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 Tyres to beat the FK2 ring time

FK2:
Ride is much harsher due to harder springs and dampers
Ride quality is harsher due to torsion beam suspension
Engine has more turbo lag
Steering feel is linear
Bigger boot
Fold up rear seats

Personal feelings:

FK8:
Higher quality interior
Doesn't feel any faster or more powerful

FK2:
More exciting to drive
I prefer the steering feel of the FK2

In summary the FK8 is the car you want if you have to put kids and a wife in the car with you and use it as a car, every single time this is the car to choose between the two. If you want a toy, a weekend B road basher, a track car.. The FK2 is the better choice. But these are just my opinions.

Interesting. I bought the FK2 as a future car for when I have kids because i feel it's really practical when I need it to be, but also an animal at the same time. For me the FK2 is about as practical as it gets for a Jap B road basher.

I Would buy the one you like the most as for sure it is your hard earned cash and only you has to live with the car, on a plus side due to being so close to the 10G hitting the showrooms you can get a very good deal on the last of the 9G Rs which makes the FK2 better value for money. Personally I think as a day to day car the 10G will be better as Honda have had longer to develop and fine tune the set up just like the 3 driving modes but with the limited numbers of which I think is around 8000 worldwide I suspect in a few years a FK2 will hold value better just like a non molested EP3 now sells for more than a newer FN2

After spending an hour talking to the guys on the Honda stand at Goodwood FoS and taking a good look around the car. I am really pleased I decided to go for the FK2. I haven't driven the FK8 yet so cannot comment on the that. I literally could not find any benefit to the FK8 over the FK2 for me.

The interior although supposedly a better quality feels anything but. The Infotainment system is now touch only and this makes it fiddly to use. The steering wheel controls are now a see through plastic and have a nasty cheap click to them.

Phone controls have been moved off the steering wheel. I use these a lot in the FK2 and thats a real shame.

Gauges which are lovely in the FK2 have been replaced with Gran Turismo style brightly coloured digital ones. Not my cup of tea but people will love or hate them.

The seats have been made wider and do not feel as supportive which is an issue when cornering hard. I am not a small man and I had room to move about in the seat. Benefits are the bolsters wont wear as much and it's easier to get in and out of. But I would rather a seat that holds me in.

The handbrake has been replaced with an electric one. This is great but what they have done is leave a bloody great hole in the cabin where the handbrake should be. The storage compartment has also gone and the inputs for 12v and HDMI are now visible.

The boot is smaller and although on paper not by much, in real life terms the loading bay is a lot higher to make way for the independent rear suspension.

Rear seats no longer fold into the floor which is great for when I throw my bike in the car or make a trip to IKEA.

I was not a fan of the styling. Although it does look much better in person than in photo's. The fake carbon used all over the place isn't for me and it does not look like a Civic. The FK8 is quite a bit longer which means I can't get it in the garage. Up close I think it resembles a DC5 in shape. A very sloped back and almost a coupe rather than a hatch.

Then we move onto the engine bay. The scoop in the bonnet is there for visuals only. After investigation it doesn't go anywhere.

They have also moved the battery and stuck it right where we are all installing our Eventuri or similar intakes on our FK2's.

All of this is obviously my opinion. There is no doubt the FK8 is a great car, statistics prove that. But I love how focused the FK2 is and its disappointing that Honda chose to appeal to a wider world market and water down the Type R. And although the FK2 feels more focused its arguably more practical. All except the softer ride. How many people purchased their Type R for a soft ride? We would have gone for a Golf right?

This article really sums the FK2 up for me. It's exactly why I purchased the FK2 and why it continues to put a smile on my face.

https://www.carkeys.co.uk/news/honda-civic-type-r-long-term-update-who-cares-about-the-fk2

The bonnet scoop channels air out through the front wings. It's for aero and not cooling.

Can't really argue with the other parts though. I really don't like the 10G steering wheel switches either, I literally don't know what they were thinking.

Surely the fact that the FK8 has ACTUAL downforce is a significant benefit if you are tracking the car - that is one of the biggest differentiators for me

The FK2 does as well :)

http://hondanews.eu/eu/en/cars/media/pressreleases/55296/2015-honda-civic-type-r

"The styling changes uniquely applied to the new Civic Type R give it an aggressive, purposeful stance, yet almost all have a functional purpose. The size of the holes in the front bumper grille, which serve air to the intercooler, are specifically shaped to minimise aerodynamic losses. The sleek and aerodynamically-efficient design reflects a car developed first and foremost to perform at speed. The focus on aerodynamics has ensured a zero lift coefficient and a minimum of drag which provides a class-leading overall aerodynamic performance.

The Civic Type R’s unique aerodynamic package utilises specific downforce-generating elements to create overall negative lift which is unusual in the industry and unique for this class in particular. The focus on airflow, not only around but also through the car, has ensured negative lift (or airflow pushing the car onto the road) at both axles combined with a minimum of drag. This is particularly noteworthy at the front of the car and allows high speed stability with a class-leading top speed of 270 km/h."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akSBxs-1fC4

The FK2 does as well :)

http://hondanews.eu/eu/en/cars/media/pressreleases/55296/2015-honda-civic-type-r

"The styling changes uniquely applied to the new Civic Type R give it an aggressive, purposeful stance, yet almost all have a functional purpose. The size of the holes in the front bumper grille, which serve air to the intercooler, are specifically shaped to minimise aerodynamic losses. The sleek and aerodynamically-efficient design reflects a car developed first and foremost to perform at speed. The focus on aerodynamics has ensured a zero lift coefficient and a minimum of drag which provides a class-leading overall aerodynamic performance.

The Civic Type R’s unique aerodynamic package utilises specific downforce-generating elements to create overall negative lift which is unusual in the industry and unique for this class in particular. The focus on airflow, not only around but also through the car, has ensured negative lift (or airflow pushing the car onto the road) at both axles combined with a minimum of drag. This is particularly noteworthy at the front of the car and allows high speed stability with a class-leading top speed of 270 km/h."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akSBxs-1fC4

Negative lift is good, but actual downforce is totally different and amazing on a hot hatch. I love that about the FK8

I like, and find entertaining, the market BS spin for the new FK8.

The FK8 has downforce - The FK2 has negative lift. Lol.
The FK8 VTEC TURBO engine. It’s raw, it’s powerful, it produces 320 PS (400Nm of torque) - The FK2 VTEC TURBO engine. It’s raw, it’s powerful, it produces 310 PS (400Nm of torque).
FK8 power 316bhp / FK2 power 306bhp
FK8 0-60 5.7secs / FK2 0-60 5.7secs
FK8 Max Speed 168mph / FK2 Max Speed 170mph

I fully accept and agree the FK8 is a better, more advanced car but don't get overwhelmed by the hype.

This is much the same as the EP3 to FN2 upgrade. E.g. Its grown up but its not a world away like the marketing would have you believe.

I like, and find entertaining, the market BS spin for the new FK8.

The FK8 has downforce - The FK2 has negative lift. Lol.
The FK8 VTEC TURBO engine. It’s raw, it’s powerful, it produces 320 PS (400Nm of torque) - The FK2 VTEC TURBO engine. It’s raw, it’s powerful, it produces 310 PS (400Nm of torque).
FK8 power 316bhp / FK2 power 306bhp
FK8 0-60 5.7secs / FK2 0-60 5.7secs
FK8 Max Speed 168mph / FK2 Max Speed 170mph

I fully accept and agree the FK8 is a better, more advanced car but don't get overwhelmed by the hype.

This is much the same as the EP3 to FN2 upgrade. E.g. Its grown up but its not a world away like the marketing would have you believe.

Go and drive one. It left a positive impact on me and my fk2 is modded.

Back