• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

CH1 2000 ATR - VTEC not kicking in? (128k miles)

Hi all,

I'll keep this as brief as possible.

New ATR to me in November. Bought it blind for various good reasons (very good price / Rare leather interior / Decent service history/ 500 miles from home). I'm well experienced with cars and motorsport mechanics so knew the risks, I've also had other ATR's - I'm no expert but get by! Got it transported home and I've spent the winter doing various odds and ends. I'm delighted with it - solid underneath, original Milano Red in 1st class condition - overall a good deal (even with this issue).

After keeping it off the salty Scottish roads over the winter I taxed it today and put it on the road for the first time. Generally, it drives lovely (tight & straight) but no VTEC at 5750 and hits limiter at 6600 approx.

Since getting it, the engine management light has been on. I plugged it into the OBD reader today and logged the following faults

1. P1259 VTEC System Malfunction
2. P0401 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected
3. PENDING P0401 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected

I cleared the faults - 1 & 2 disappeared, 3 remained. I removed fuse 13 from the passenger side fusebox, disconnected the battery (just to be sure) and reinstated both. All faults are now away.

However, still no VTEC.

The EGR looks brand new so if that fault re-occurs I'll remove & clean the galleries on the plate.

Any thoughts regarding the lack of VTEC. Does the P1259 fault code give any clues? It may be as simple as the VTEC Solenoid seal / Gauze needing replaced but hoping some of you experts can assist?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Gerry

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,

I'll keep this as brief as possible.

New ATR to me in November. Bought it blind for various good reasons (very good price / Rare leather interior / Decent service history/ 500 miles from home). I'm well experienced with cars and motorsport mechanics so knew the risks, I've also had other ATR's - I'm no expert but get by! Got it transported home and I've spent the winter doing various odds and ends. I'm delighted with it - solid underneath, original Milano Red in 1st class condition - overall a good deal (even with this issue).

After keeping it off the salty Scottish roads over the winter I taxed it today and put it on the road for the first time. Generally, it drives lovely (tight & straight) but no VTEC at 5750 and hits limiter at 6600 approx.

Since getting it, the engine management light has been on. I plugged it into the OBD reader today and logged the following faults

1. P1259 VTEC System Malfunction
2. P0401 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected
3. PENDING P0401 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected

I cleared the faults - 1 & 2 disappeared, 3 remained. I removed fuse 13 from the passenger side fusebox, disconnected the battery (just to be sure) and reinstated both. All faults are now away.

However, still no VTEC.

The EGR looks brand new so if that fault re-occurs I'll remove & clean the galleries on the plate.

Any thoughts regarding the lack of VTEC. Does the P1259 fault code give any clues? It may be as simple as the VTEC Solenoid Gauze needing cleaned but hoping some of you experts can assist?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Gerry

You could try replace the vtec solenoid gasket
See if that brings the vtec back

Also my EGR looked in good condition but I was surprised at the amount of gunk in it.

Back