• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Rear drivers brake caliper HELP

Hi guys I rebuilt the rear calipers on my ep3 last year as the drivers side kept sticking then at the start of the year the same caliper was sticking again!!!

So I inspected it and cleaned it all out starting working as normal again, but once again it's sticking

I know it's not the piston as it's in tip top condition and each time I have cleaned and regressed the slider pins and cleaned were the brake pads sit but it keeps happening to the same caliper any ideas??

Could it possible be the hand brake cable or could it be the spring on the caliper for the handbrake (ps can u grease this part?) or new caliper time.

Many thanks in advance

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

You could try adjusting the handbrake but I tried what you've done plus the handbrake but mine stuck again a short time after, same one too drivers side rear caliper.

In the end I bought a new one, well, genuine refurbed from my local car parts place and it's been fine since, probably been on 2-3 years now. IIRC it was around £50, plus money off on an exchange basis but I kept my original lol.

So if I were you I would just say sod it and get a new one.

Yer think I will doing my nut in always seems to happen when I plan a modification

Might be the handbrake spring that is on the caliper.

Mine have had the tendency to get gunked up stopping the handbrake from releasing. I just take them off once or twice a year when i service the brakes, give them a going over with a wire brush and a good spray with WD40 before putting them back on. Not had any problems with the handbrake or rear calipers since i started doing this.

If you take off the handbrake console cover and let off the handbrake you will see if both of the cables have tension in them. If not then my bet would be on the springs on the rear calipers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both have tension when the handbrake is on and are slack when the handbrake is off but only one side is binding and it's pritty noticeable when looking at the pads and only one side gets overheated.
By the way it just passed the mot and the only advisory was the rear caliper binding slightly and rear o/s pads close to limit

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you re-checked the caliper sliders/piston?

Checked mine on the weekend as it looked like the pads weren't touching part of the disc and one dust shield got caught in the slider causing it to become stuck, it didn't seem that they were binding either but glad I checked because I need new rear pads now, massive uneven wear too looked like a wedge. Going to change both discs and pads to be sure and give them all a good clean up.

Yer all good however the pads were stuck were they sit so I'm hoping it's that (put new pads intoday and filled them down)

Hope all goes well then, What grease did you use on the slider pins?

I switched from copper slip grease as this seemed to cause problems, it would gunk things up, I've now been using Mintex Ceratec, I've found it to work a lot better. I'm sure Pagid also do a Ceratec grease too.

Copper grease works, but I recon it turns to gunk quicker.

You might just be really unlucky and the calliper is gone again... :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back